2010 Jeep Liberty Issue

Status
Not open for further replies.
Check this out...
Maybe someone has seen this before. My stepdaughter has a 2010 Jeep Liberty. Car's been very dependable. Has over 100,000 miles on it now and she plans on keeping it as long as she lives in Queens. It gets bumped and scratched, no point in buying a new car yet.
Anyway, her air bag light came on and it looked like the clockspring needed to be replaced. For some reason she took it to the Jeep dealer near her house and they charged her 794 to do the work. This included a 200 dollar diagnostic fee that she would have had to pay even if she opted for them not to make the repair. Once she was on the hook for 200 bucks, she decided to let them fix it.
She picks the car up the next day and everything seemed fine. She drove home and the fob would not lock or unlock the doors. She went back to the dealer and said the keys worked before they had the car. What gives? They did something and both fobs worked. She got back home, both fobs did not work.
She came out to our house and I told her to bring it to my friend who does remote starts and security systems. He said it seems like the dealer turned something off in the car. The dealer told her they could fix it but it would be around 400 dollars.
Here's the part I can't wrap my head around... She brought the car to my house again. I disconnected the battery, waited a few minutes and reconnected it. BOTH fobs worked for five minutes. One stopped working, the other one continued to work for about 45 minutes and then stopped as well.
I'll be [censored] if I'm going to let them get 400 dollars for something they may have done.
Anyone have any ideas?

Originally Posted By: Boomer
Bad battery in the fob?

Nope. I changed em both. Checked the voltage with my Fluke too.

I know your daughter was pressed to go a dealership because it was a air bag issue but I swear they screw with older cars just to get the owner frustrated and trade in.
I think you have to go to the Service Manager and threaten to contact Chrysler with a complaint. I had a dealership once tell me they would not fix my air conditioner when I was on vacation on a truck under warranty. I called Chrysler and not only did they fix my truck immediately they gave me a loaner car while they did it. Totally different attitude after speaking with Chrysler.

also I forgot to add I also live in the metro NY region and have yet to find an honest Chrysler dealer service department in NYC

Last edited:
Chrysler used to take these complaints seriously. I do not know under Fiat. They can be your First contact.

Next contact can be the state attorney general. They will write a letter. This usually gets attention.
If that does not do it find a tech school, high school, junior college votech auto repair. Cases like this are very good education. If they find dealer damage then small claims court.

If they help ask if you can bring the class a box of doughnuts, rules such as they are, you may not be able to.

Rod

Thanks for the replies. I know she called Chrysler. I don't believe they were much help. I have no such issues with my Suburban. I think GM might get more of our business in the future.

zvm77us, Yes, that was helpful. Probably won't allow me to fix it but at least I'm informed. Two friends that handle stuff like that both said they don't have access to factory software.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: NYEngineer
Check this out...
Maybe someone has seen this before. My stepdaughter has a 2010 Jeep Liberty. Car's been very dependable. Has over 100,000 miles on it now and she plans on keeping it as long as she lives in Queens. It gets bumped and scratched, no point in buying a new car yet.
Anyway, her air bag light came on and it looked like the clockspring needed to be replaced. For some reason she took it to the Jeep dealer near her house and they charged her 794 to do the work. This included a 200 dollar diagnostic fee that she would have had to pay even if she opted for them not to make the repair. Once she was on the hook for 200 bucks, she decided to let them fix it.
She picks the car up the next day and everything seemed fine. She drove home and the fob would not lock or unlock the doors. She went back to the dealer and said the keys worked before they had the car. What gives? They did something and both fobs worked. She got back home, both fobs did not work.
She came out to our house and I told her to bring it to my friend who does remote starts and security systems. He said it seems like the dealer turned something off in the car. The dealer told her they could fix it but it would be around 400 dollars.
Here's the part I can't wrap my head around... She brought the car to my house again. I disconnected the battery, waited a few minutes and reconnected it. BOTH fobs worked for five minutes. One stopped working, the other one continued to work for about 45 minutes and then stopped as well.
I'll be [censored] if I'm going to let them get 400 dollars for something they may have done.
Anyone have any ideas?

I would check with Chrysler corporate, the Wranglers have a 15 year unlimited mile warranty on the clock spring. The Liberty might have it as well. I had an issue with the gas tank burping fuel in my 08 Liberty and the dealer told me they wanted $1400 for the repair or something like that. I laughed and gave them the number of the TSB that stated the gas tank burping issue was covered free for the life of the vehicle. They actually did a good job, and didn't push for any up-selling after I set them straight. Bottom line if you haven't checked into the clock spring being covered or not I would look into it.

I'm near the Queens border would you mind mentioning the name of the dealer so I can avoid them, or PM it to me. Thanks!

No problem. Bayside Jeep or Dodge. Not sure which. Just whichever one is in Bayside.

She said they were nasty to her. They're pretty lucky I'm mellowing in my old age.

See that? I wish she woulda just let me fix it. I would have never gone to that dealer had I seen those reviews.

She was afraid to drive without an air bag and did not want to wait until the weekend for me to fix it. I reminded her that cars did not even have air bags a short time ago. Just wear your seat belt. Cars weren't even required to have seat belts before 1965.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back