BMW B58 Engine oil

First post!
I've ordered a 2018 BMW M240i. Expect delivery in early September. Dealer sells 0w20 (LL-14) oil. However, I've read in several forums that BMW uses a 0W30 oil for this engine in non-US markets.
Questions:
1. Should I just go with the 0W20 as I don't plan on tracking the car?
2. Is there a suitable 0W30 replacement for this oil.

Btw, the oil can't be carry the BMW LL-04 cert as that oil is designed for ultra=-low sulfur fuels. The US has ultra-low sulphur diesel but not gas.

Thanks!
Mark

Mark, you're right. 0w20 if you don't drive too hard. A little hard driving is fine.
BMW has dealer or ebay (maybe amazon??) available TwinPower 0w30 with a higher HTHS than your 0w20. The Twinpower 0w30 has an HTHS of about 3.0, and your 0w20 comes in at about 2.7, not much difference really. Some people like the bit of extra HTHS protection from the 0w30, but its not necessary. MPG would only drop a percent or two if you use the thicker 0w30.

That's a [censored] of a car you just ordered! I have been building them just for fun on BMW's website every so often. I would stick with standard LL-01 motor oils. I believe it specifies for it in the manual in addition to LL-01FE. No need to dabble with fuel economy savings in an M240i, in my opinion. The difference is hardly noticeable, and the savings diminish the further into an oil change interval you drive. Motul, Castrol, and Pennzoil make excellent LL-01 oils.

Originally Posted By: Marcozi
First post!
I've ordered a 2018 BMW M240i. Expect delivery in early September. Dealer sells 0w20 (LL-14) oil. However, I've read in several forums that BMW uses a 0W30 oil for this engine in non-US markets.
Questions:
1. Should I just go with the 0W20 as I don't plan on tracking the car?
2. Is there a suitable 0W30 replacement for this oil.

Btw, the oil can't be carry the BMW LL-04 cert as that oil is designed for ultra=-low sulfur fuels. The US has ultra-low sulphur diesel but not gas.

Thanks!
Mark

welcome2.gif
to BITOG!

Whenever you see the "other markets" argument, ask yourself, "what's to say those other markets are right?" Maybe they should be looking at us and saying, "hey, you can use 0w-20 in the US. Why is our oil so thick?"
wink.gif

Also remember: oil should be as thin as possible, but as thick as necessary. Not the other way around.

If your car calls for LL-14, then use that and rest easy.

Originally Posted By: Marcozi
First post!

Thanks!
Mark

I would run the oil BMW specs for the US. If you plan on tracking the car I would consider the EU oil spec.
Remember they can drive at much higher speeds on the autobahn
smile.gif
Even the 80 mph limit in Texas is a walk in the park for your new BMW :

Are you sure?
Tier 2 had a 80 ppm specification, in 2017 Tier 3 is down to 10 ppm.

https://www.epa.gov/gasoline-standards/gasoline-sulfur
The Tier 2 Gasoline Sulfur program, finalized in 2000, reduced the sulfur content of gasoline by up to 90 percent, enabling the use of new emission control technologies in cars and trucks that reduce harmful air pollution.

Like the Tier 2 program, the Tier 3 program considers the vehicle and its fuel as an integrated system to reduce the impacts of motor vehicles on air quality and public health. The program sets new vehicle emissions standards and lowers the sulfur content of gasoline to a maximum of 10ppm beginning in 2017.

http://www.aecc.eu/wp-content/uploads/2016/08/QUALITY-OF-GASOLINE-AND-DIESEL-FUEL-rev-080703.pdf
The European Union (EU) will cut the sulphur content of petrol and diesel fuels to 50 parts per million (ppm)
in 2005 (Dir. 1998/70/EC) for all road vehicles and will at the same time require that 'zero sulphur' fuels
(maximum 10ppm sulphur) are available "on an appropriately balanced geographical basis" (Dir. 2003/17/EC).
All petrol and diesel must meet the 10ppm limit from the start of 2009.

Sweet ride and nice engine. I'd personally use the higher HTHS option offered by BMW (regardless of market; CAFE considerations). This is a dual purpose gas/diesel engine block and it's not the reciprocating assy and bearings that are the concern, but the timing components. In general, turbo DI applications have degraded engine oil so much as to compromise the reliability of some timing components (guides, chains, tensioners)- where the NA versions of engines with identical timing parts have not had the issues. BMW has not been exempt from this phenomenon. Also, this Benziner B58 will be expected to run hotter than it's diesel counterpart- the nature of the fuel- and also BMW is using some type of novel adiabatic thermal management for the purpose of retaining engine heat between driving cycles. I'd want the most robust recommended oil with nice HTHS for sure.

Enjoy that ride!

Oops, I over-estimated the sophistication of BMWs "Engine Encapsulation" deal for thermal retention; no adiabatic materials used, just insulated splash shielding.
Still a neat idea with good intention.

Interesting to see that BMW has switched to low-HTHS (0w20 and the like) on their more performance-oriented engines like the one in the M240i.

I'm sure it would be fine for normal street driving, though I might run a shorter change interval than what the CBS readout shows. I know a lot of people will sleep better at night running something with BMW LL-01 or maybe even Mobil 1 0w40. If you plan to get oil changes at the dealer, ask them to use an LL-01 oil -- they have their own stuff blended by Shell/Pennzoil that would be fine. The M3/5/6 use it, for example.

Originally Posted By: dparm
Interesting to see that BMW has switched to low-HTHS (0w20 and the like) on their more performance-oriented engines like the one in the M240i.

I'm sure it would be fine for normal street driving, though I might run a shorter change interval than what the CBS readout shows. I know a lot of people will sleep better at night running something with BMW LL-01 or maybe even Mobil 1 0w40. If you plan to get oil changes at the dealer, ask them to use an LL-01 oil -- they have their own stuff blended by Shell/Pennzoil that would be fine. The M3/5/6 use it, for example.

The 0W-20 recommendation is U.S. specific for fuel economy reasons. I agree that if getting oil changes done by the dealer, request that they use TwinPower Turbo 5W-30 LL-01. I've read that some dealers will just default to the 5W-30 anyways because it's what they have most readily available on hand.

Originally Posted By: 1JZ_E46
Originally Posted By: d00df00d
Is LL-01 kosher for the B58, per BMW?

I believe 5W-30, which would imply LL-01, is allowable per the owners manual. Would love clarification from a B58 owner.

Edit: here is the manual for a 2016 340i (B58 engine) https://carmanuals2.com/bmw/340i-sedan-2016-owner-s-manual-91788

LL-01 is listed as approved.

That manual for the B58 engine (2016 model) also specifies LL-01 FE, but not the N20's 0w20 LL-14.
Anybody seen the 2018 model manual? Have they started recommending LL-14 0w20 like they already use in the N20 now?

Looking back at the original post, it does look like the upcoming 240i owner just noticed the dealer had 0w20, not that the manual actually allowed its usage in the 2018 model B58.

If thats case, my advice is to use BMW TwinPower 0w30 LL-01 FE oil since its fully BMW approved, and only use the next higher HTHS oil if you want to race or track the car.
Those are dealer oil changes you'll be getting. They might just use LL-01 thicker oil for a slight loss in MPG and peak power.

Originally Posted By: oil_film_movies
That manual for the B58 engine (2016 model) also specifies LL-01 FE, but not the N20's 0w20 LL-14.
Anybody seen the 2018 model manual? Have they started recommending LL-14 0w20 like they already use in the N20 now?

Looking back at the original post, it does look like the upcoming 240i owner just noticed the dealer had 0w20, not that the manual actually allowed its usage in the 2018 model B58.

If thats case, my advice is to use BMW TwinPower 0w30 LL-01 FE oil since its fully BMW approved, and only use the next higher HTHS oil if you want to race or track the car.
Those are dealer oil changes you'll be getting. They might just use LL-01 thicker oil for a slight loss in MPG and peak power.

If it were my car, and I had the ability to run either LL-01, LL-01 FE (fuel efficiency) or LL-14, all being approved for the B58 (they don't spec 0W-20 overseas...), I would choose the LL-01 every time. Fuel efficiency isn't usually at the top of the list when purchasing an M240i, so why not choose what will protect the most? I would only opt for the 0W-30 if I were driving in sub-zero winters.

Again, it appears the B58 is not approved for LL-14 0w20. Thats only for N20 engines, & maybe their hybrid vehicles, but not B58.
The 2016 340i Owners Manual (page 208) does not mention LL-14, and thats a 'recent' B58 engine.
Turner Motorsports has made statements that BMW has suddenly approved LL-14 0w20 for the B58, yet I don't see BMW saying that.

A good approach, if you're worried about LL-01 FE being too thin (if disagreeing with BMW that is...), then you could run BMW TwinPow 5w30 if you change your oil in the spring or summer, and use their branded 0w30 LL-01 FE in the fall/winter.

The main rule is to use the minimum HTHS the manufacturer recommends, unless tracking or racing, in which case go ahead and use the next viscosity up.

Originally Posted By: shanneba
Are you sure?
Tier 2 had a 80 ppm specification, in 2017 Tier 3 is down to 10 ppm.

If you look deeper, you'll see it isn't a hard target, an not all fuel is ULSG. We have the same mushy business going on up here.

Looks like certain models with a B58 use the 0w20... As for LL-01, the APPROVAL is what ultimately matters, not the viscosity (to the OEM). It should be noted the LL-01FE is not a spec you can get approval for since it is an alternative spec to LL-01- meaning you can use either. So when in doubt, use LL-01.

As for the 0w20 convo, these are the BMW's listed as 0w20 compatible:
N20 Engine:
2014+ F22 BMW 228i 228iX
2012+ F30 BMW 320i 320iX 328i 328iX - Sedan
2012+ F31 BMW 328i 328iX - Wagon
2014+ F34 BMW 328i 328iX - Gran Turismo
2014+ F32 BMW 428i 428iX - Coupe
2014+ F33 BMW 428i 428iX - Convertible
2014+ F36 BMW 428i 428iX - Gran Coupe
2012+ F10 BMW 528i
2013+ E84 BMW X1 28i
2011+ F25 BMW X3 xDrive28i
2014+ F26 BMW X4 xDrive 28i
2011+ Z4 BMW Z4 sDrive28i

B46/B48/B58 Modular Engines:
2016+ F30 LCI BMW 340i 340iX - Sedan
2016+ F48 BMW X1 xDrive20i X1 sDrive 25i X1 xDrive 25i
2015+ F55 MINI MINI Cooper 5-door, MINI Cooper S 5-door
2015+ F56 MINI MINI Cooper 3-door, MINI Cooper S 3-door
2016+ F54 MINI MINI Cooper Clubman, MINI Cooper S Clubman

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Flying_A
Looks like certain models with a B58 use the 0w20...

The long list you posted using 0w20 is NOT from BMW, its taken from Turner Motorsports or ECS Tuning, aftermarket vendors, not BMW.
If we trust your list (Turner's really), then we see the BMW 240i B58 can't use 0w20 (only LL-01FE 0w30 or any LL-01 oil).
A 2018 BMW 240i B58 is the subject of this thread.

Wouldn't it be nice if BMW actually put 0w20 as an option on the B58 in the Owner's Manual or from some official statement from BMW?
Otherwise, I guess we have to trust what aftermarket parts peddlers are saying.

As for LL-01, the APPROVAL is what ultimately matters, not the viscosity (to the OEM).

Viscosity is a big, central part of the approval, so it matters a lot to the OEM (BMW), specifically the HTHS viscosity.
In fact visc is the starting point for approval.

To sum it up:
LL-01: HTHS >3.5 in a 0w30, 0w40, 5w30, or 5w40
LL-01FE: HTHS ~3.0 in a 0w30
LL-14FE: HTHS ~2.7 in a 0w20

It should be noted the LL-01FE is not a spec you can get approval for ....

Oil makers can get approval for LL-01FE. Fuchs Titan A5/B5 is one besides BMW-branded TwinPower 0w30.

....since it is an alternative spec to LL-01- meaning you can use either. So when in doubt, use LL-01.

LL-01 and LL-01FE are not always interchangeable. Only certain engines can use both. Often you can.
It is true you can use LL-01 in most U.S. BMW gasoline engines, with a small loss in fuel economy, cold cranking flow, and peak power due to the thicker oil.

From the 2016 340i B58 Owners Manual posted earlier, that model year, and maybe 2017 and 2018 B58 engines by assumption, can use either LL-01FE and LL-01, clearly from the Owner's Manual.

Back