Fram Ultra 7317 in a Triumph triple engine

Status
Not open for further replies.
Per some recommendations here, I am now running a XG7317 on my 2013 Triumph Tiger 800. This engine is a larger version of the Triumph triple 675 used on the street triple.

Are there any estimates on how much mileage I can put on this filter before changing it?

The OEM filter is a rebranded Wix 51358 and the factory recommendation is 6000 mile OCI with synthetic oil.

I will be using either Rotella T4 15W40 or T6 5W40. Riding is mostly highway.

What's the manual's recommendation for the oil filter change interval? Every oil change, or every other?

FWIW I run the 6607 (smaller version of the 7317) for 3 oil changes which works out to be about 10K-12K miles. The manual for my Yamaha recommends an oil change every 4K miles with a filter change every 8K.

I bet the 7317 can easily do 12K+ miles on a motorcycle. For cars Fram claims the Ultra has enough holding capacity for 20K miles but bikes have clutches and gears so I'd knock that life expectancy down a bit but that's just me guessing.

I ran one over 24K with three OCI's in a 2L Mitsubishi
Pictures are on here- same model.
After I set it aside and it dried after several months it looked fantastic. I still have that filter here.
Need to update the pictures.

Originally Posted By: jeff78
What's the manual's recommendation for the oil filter change interval? Every oil change, or every other?

FWIW I run the 6607 (smaller version of the 7317) for 3 oil changes which works out to be about 10K-12K miles. The manual for my Yamaha recommends an oil change every 4K miles with a filter change every 8K.

I bet the 7317 can easily do 12K+ miles on a motorcycle. For cars Fram claims the Ultra has enough holding capacity for 20K miles but bikes have clutches and gears so I'd knock that life expectancy down a bit but that's just me guessing.

Filter change seems to be indicated as 6k interval along with oil.

I think what I'll do on this bike is stick with the XG7317 and change the oil whenever I check/adj the valves -- every 12k miles per the factory manual. Doesn't save a LOT of money but still saves around $10 every 12k miles lol.

Originally Posted By: Reddy45
I think what I'll do on this bike is stick with the XG7317 and change the oil whenever I check/adj the valves -- every 12k miles per the factory manual. Doesn't save a LOT of money but still saves around $10 every 12k miles lol.

Yep, the Ultra will be more than up to the task. If I were doing 6K OCI's, I wouldn't lose any sleep over a filter change every other oil change.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back