Grand Caravan 3.8 + 0w40?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been maintaining my in-laws' '10 Grand Caravan 3.8L for about 2 years now, since roughly 190K - 228,000 on it now, runs good and gets 21-22 MPG at times. I shudder to think what its longest OCI on quick-lane conventional was before that, but I've been putting VML 5w20 or 5w30 in it, most of the time at 6-7,000 mile intervals, with a Napa Gold filter. Consumption did reduce some after I got a change or two of Maxlife through it, but was never better than a quart every 1,600 miles or so - which has repeatedly led to low oil level (2 quarts numerous times)l because, well... they know it uses oil and it's not high enough on their priorities list to keep an eye on it. Earlier this year the low oil light came on while my MIL was driving it, and upon continued observation after that it seemed the oil consumption was increasing. Changed the PCV valve, air filter, and plugs (needed it anyway) and put Valvoline full syn w/Maxlife 10w30 in it before they took it on a 2,000 mile trip to Maine. It still continued to use oil, though I'm not sure of the exact rate. Well, about 3 weeks ago I topped it up (close to 2 qts. again) with some M1 European formula 0w40 I had leftover, and under its normal driving schedule it seems to have tapered off drinking oil as badly because it's currently only 1/2 quart low. FIL insists the biggest cause is low-tension rings, I'm more prone to think it's wear from repeated, prolonged oil starvation that's finally starting to noticeably accelerate cylinder wear. What say ye? Is there a logical explanation for how the Euro 0w40 would stay in it better?

It's a Chrysler. Dump it and get a quality vehicle.

I've never been around a Chrysler that didn't develop SERIOUS mechanical problems.

As for the oil... I'd quit worrying about trying to take car of their car and let them learn a valuable lesson about priorities when the engine seizes. Your intentions are good but you're enabling their lack of interest in caring for their vehicle.

You could try a 10 or 15-40. The low level shouldn't have accelerated wear too much as long as it didn't get so low as to pump air.

Just reread your post and saw that the idiot light came on. I'm sure there is some accelerated wear and I'm also sure that engine is not long for the world and restate that your in-laws need to learn an expensive lesson.

Also with that level of consumption save some money and go with the Valvoline ML in the red bottle or save a lot of money and go with Supertech 10w-30 HM

Last edited:
It is summer time. Oil's cold flow capabilities don't matter, so go to Wal-Mart and get some Valvoline ML 15w40. Diesel oil that has more cleaning action than gasoline oil (at least that is what most people preach here), and you got the MaxLife additive package in there for the seals and even further reduced oil consumption. Best of both worlds.

I second the 15w40 suggestion.
That's Great oil against burn off, oil consumption and it cleans well. My Dad always had Dodge Caravans and ran 15w40 in them all because that's what oil he had in drums for the big truck.
Matter of fact he used 15w40 in everything that took oil.
In Pennsylvania, in the very cold winter without any I'll effects.

Local Wal-Mart doesn't carry VML 10-40 any more and I refuse to pay the everyday price for it at Auto Zone or Advanced. May go with Valvoline 15w40 or browse the 5w40 options. FIL is a mechanical engineer and longtime shade tree mechanic, so he understands the potential ramifications. :-/

I used the M1 0w-40 in my 08 Jeep Wrangler which had the same engine. It had 100k miles on it and would use a quart of 5w-30 every 2,500 - 3,000 miles. When I started using the M1 0w-40 consumption fell to a quart in 4,000 to 5,000 miles. The engine seemed happy with it too.

Mobil 15w50 in the summer and 0w40 in the winter
laugh.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back