Tire longevity

Status
Not open for further replies.
Since my truck isn't being driven much at the moment, how much should I drive it, so as to keep the tires from dry rotting? I'm a bit concerned, as it has snow tires on it, so I don't want to drive off the rubber in the hot temps we are having, yet I don't want them to be dead come winter. This would be a general question, as when I get proper all seasons for summer I'd be curious for them. No place to park in shade, either.

I'm not a detailing expert, but I'm pretty sure there are a lot of tire treatments that have UV protectants and stuff. If you apply one of those regularly, it should help.

I thought tire stuff was bad for the tire? I just assumed all of them were somehow bad for the tire. I could look into that. My trailers sit quite a bit too, and could use something.

Get some 303, UV protectant and it's safe for tires. I use it on my motorhome and my trailers

Three things I know of the will affect tire longevity:
1) Heat
2) UV
3) Ozone
4) Moisture

I would avoid tire dressings.

To store I would:
1) Clean the tires and remove stones in the tread
2) Maintain proper inflation pressure
3) Store in a place that is cool, dry, has no direct sun exposure, and is away from big electrical equipment

You might want to took into commercial rubber like Renew Protect.

I'd just get 4 cheap spare tire covers, might be able to attach them on without even jacking it up if you use some bungee cords.

My wife had a horse trailer that was stored in the barn when not used and after about about 9 years the tires started to delaminate .These were Goodyear tires. Don't jump through hoops or do any voo doo to try to protect the tires .Just keep an eye on them and replace when needed at 5+ years. It is the cost of owning the vehicle. Tires start drying out when they leave the mold. Chemicles evaporate

Many tire dressings will brown the tires and not protect them. Surf City Tire Shine available on Amazon is very good that won't brown the tires and protect them in the elements. Money back guarantee. Most of the decent ones are available online.

In New Hampshire, as long as they aren't Michelins you should be fine for years to come.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
In New Hampshire, as long as they aren't Michelins you should be fine for years to come.

Very funny! Not!
mad.gif

Originally Posted By: supton
Originally Posted By: Nick1994

Very funny! Not!
mad.gif

I wasn't making a joke?

I thought you were pulling my leg... not that I'm mad, I was picking on you back--as I thought you were picking on me for getting LTX's in the first place.

I thought you were pulling my leg... not that I'm mad, I was picking on you back--as I thought you were picking on me for getting LTX's in the first place.

I had Michelin LTX tires suffer weather checking on me but they were the original M/S...since then I had M/S-2 with zero issue and now I am running my first set of Defender LTX series and they have a very different rubber compound which can be seen by the naked eye.

Maybe Michelin has addressed the issue of weather checking since your experience.

BTW, my truck was stored outside in Southern CO sun and heat so it is not that surprising to get weather checking after 5 years.

If I park a vehicle for months, I park it inside and keep it away from direct UV.

I also place a sheet of rubber (from a roof I tore off) or even a sheet of heavy plastic between tire and pavement while in storage because the concrete can sap the rubber oils over time.

Cheers

Nah I wasn't picking on you. But seriously, since they aren't Michelins they are probably fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back