New Supertech 80-140 looks Used

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know about the rest of the BITOG crowd but when I have new oil I expect it to look new, meaning not black like it has been run a million hours and needs to be changed. I bought 3 quarts of Supertech 80-140 (dino cheap stuff) gear oil for an old tiller transmission and was very surprised when the new oil looked worse than the old stuff that came out. I know the color is not to be used when determining an oil's condition but compared to all other gear oils I have ever used the Walmart stuff is abyss black. I will not use this in anything again, ponying up the little extra coin for AAP house brand is worth it for me because the color is golden/honey new. I searched and did to see if this molasses dark matter was always the same and only found threads about the synthetic versions. I did not find anything about the conventional (dino) oil color.

The certainly does not sound right. No new oil should be darker than a deep gold. I'd say someone pulled a fast one on Walmart and returned used oil. Were the bottles sealed?

All of the Super Tech gear oil I've used has had a foil seal, and I've always had good results with it.

Originally Posted By: AirgunSavant
A picture of the oil would help a great deal.
I'm no ST. fan.

I used all I had so I have nothing to take a picture of, sorry.

Originally Posted By: Padawan
All of the Super Tech gear oil I've used has had a foil seal, and I've always had good results with it.

"The certainly does not sound right. No new oil should be darker than a deep gold. I'd say someone pulled a fast one on Walmart and returned used oil. Were the bottles sealed?"

The bottles had the seal (really good seal too). For around 4 bucks a quart I don't think people would put that much work into a swap. I agree it doesn't look right but it will be OK for the tiller.

Don't be sorry. I know you were in a hurry but you probably should have not used it if it bothers you.
As they said here it should have been sealed. Good luck.
I have purchased generic gear oil for lathe use etc and it can be very dark. It may not be an issue if clean.

Originally Posted By: fozzdesy2001
Originally Posted By: AirgunSavant
A picture of the oil would help a great deal.
I'm no ST. fan.

I used all I had so I have nothing to take a picture of, sorry.

Was the bottles sealed? I remember hearing a story of someone buying used oil from walmart.....apparently it was returned and they just put it back on the shelf.

Here's a video that shows how (in my experience) the Super Tech 85W-140 typically looks when new:

OK, the bottles were sealed and after closer examination of the few drops that came out of the bottles on clean white paper towels, the color is very dark brown. Still a lot darker than what I am used to seeing. For this application, it will be acceptable with the 4 hours of yearly use in my gardens. For my cars, I use Mobil 1 104361 75W-90 or 102490 75W-140 and will try Schaeffer Manufacturing 2937590-012S Supreme Gear Lube 75W-90 next. I just wanted to let others know about how dark the ST is. Thank you for the video - that is the same is what I used looks the same on a towel. Guess I am used to Mobil 1.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back