Inline AT filter mount location?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry, searched this on the site and with Google and found nothing.

Having some second thoughts on where I installed an inline AT filter yesterday on my 2008 Suburban (after I finished a cooler install). I was closing browsers this morning and noticed on the Magnefine website that they tell you to mount their filters in a section of straight cooler line. I missed that yesterday and didn't do that. I put mine between the new cooler output and the factory return line. Splicing it in here between two pieces of rubber hose was simple, and it's a location that won't require me to take off the front clip to change the filter. But there is an small, gradual curve on both sides of the filter, and the fluid has t flow "uphill" into the filter.

I don't think flow could possibly be restricted very much at all, but it's not mounted exactly as Magnifine suggests.

Anyone else had luck mounting these long term in a less than perfect location? The alternative is cutting into metal line or just scrapping the filter idea altogether. FWIW, I just did the new pan filter in March, so this isn't essential, just added filtration.

Originally Posted By: HawkeyeScott
I put mine between the new cooler output and the factory return line.

Perfect. You did right.

Don't lose any more sleep over this, OK?

Originally Posted By: HawkeyeScott
But there is an small, gradual curve on both sides of the filter, and the fluid has to flow "uphill" into the filter.

That won't matter one iota. Velocity is pretty high in this circuit.

They say straight line as easiest to cut into. It also does not matter if it's in supply or return as long as the reason for the filter was not a destroyed transmission. (Magnefine has stated this.). In that case the return.

Originally Posted By: Donald
They say straight line as easiest to cut into. It also does not matter if it's in supply or return as long as the reason for the filter was not a destroyed transmission. (Magnefine has stated this.). In that case the return.

Please , put it in the supply line or the return line ?

Thanks , :)

Originally Posted By: WyrTwister
Please , put it in the supply line or the return line? Thanks , :)

Tt doesn't matter. Really.

I put it in the return only because I felt the filter would last longer if it wasn't so hot.

That is good enough for me . :)

Another question . If you add an external ATF cooler in front of the radiator , is it best to plumb it in on the supply line or the return line ?

Thanks . :)

FWIW, my Honda CR-V comes with an ATF filter, and the filter is located between the output of the radiator cooler and the input of the transmission. (There is no scheduled replacement schedule for it. It only gets changed if a transmission fails.) I happened to add a B&M transmission cooler last weekend. B&M explicitly states that the cooler should be plumbed into the return side between the integrated ATF radiator cooler and the input to the transmission. There are also recommendations for its orientation: https://static.summitracing.com/global/.../instructions/BMM-bm_cooler_techdoc.pdf

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back