30 weight dino vs. 10w-30 synthetic for generator

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently bought a generator with a 7 HP air-cooled engine (DuroStar DS4000S). The manual recommends using 10w-30 in temps up to about 80 degrees F and straight 30 weight above that. However, I'm sure that refers to conventional oil whereas I would like to use synthetic.

What viscosity synthetic would you guys recommend? I like the idea of a multi-grade oil, e.g. 10w-30, to get better flow at startup. Will a synthetic 10w-30 do the job in 95-100 degree weather that, apparently, a conventional 10w-30 can't? Well it perform as well as conventional straight 30 weight in 100 degree temps?

An air cooled generator in Houston? Is it mostly for emergency power or for job site?

For emergency use - Stick with synthetic 10W30. As with any emergency equipment, you would need to run it occasionally to make sure the fuel doesn't go bad and to ensure it's ready when needed.

For jobsite - I would put something like Rotella SAE 30 grade or even 15W40. Something stout.

Originally Posted By: MarkLTX
I like the idea of a multi-grade oil, e.g. 10w-30, to get better flow at startup.

There will be NO "start-up flow issues" in Houston.

I use 15W-40 HDEO (Shell Rotella, Chevron Delo) in all air cooled engines.

Straight 30 weight. No VI to shear, and will easily handle anything an air cooled small motor will do.
Delo and Rotella come to mind, Rural King sells Mobil in straight 30 weight.
Lube King, Harvest King at Farm and Home, Traveller at Tractor Supply.
Cold flow? Not where you are, and not in OPE.

A typical PCMO 10w30 has an HTHS viscosity of about 3.1cP. I have occasionally seen HTHS values for SAE 30 around 3.6 cP. This is likely why the SAE 30 is recommended for the higher temps. In my opinion an oil with an HTHS of 3.1 is too thin for the heat you may encounter in summer where you are.

As a compromise I am running Rotella 10w30 synthetic blend in my generator (emergency power) since 10w30 HDEOs usually have an HTHS of 3.5. After I get a few more hours on it I plan to switch to a 0w40 synthetic for the 3.6 - 3.7 HTHS

Originally Posted By: Carbon12
A typical PCMO 10w30 has an HTHS viscosity of about 3.1cP. I have occasionally seen HTHS values for SAE 30 around 3.6 cP. This is likely why the SAE 30 is recommended for the higher temps. In my opinion an oil with an HTHS of 3.1 is too thin for the heat you may encounter in summer where you are.

As a compromise I am running Rotella 10w30 synthetic blend in my generator (emergency power) since 10w30 HDEOs usually have an HTHS of 3.5. After I get a few more hours on it I plan to switch to a 0w40 synthetic for the 3.6 - 3.7 HTHS

I appreciate you citing specific reasons for your advice but this poster lives in Houston so there is zero advantage to a 0w40, right?

I also have a similar question.
Synthetic 10w30 v conventional sae 30.
Which has better noack?
Sae 30 noack info i cannot find for say pyb quaker state mobil valvoline castrol etc.

Will a conventional sae 30 will have low noack like 5 or lower for sure ?

Originally Posted By: ArcticDriver

I appreciate you citing specific reasons for your advice but this poster lives in Houston so there is zero advantage to a 0w40, right?

Right. I would say no need or advantage for 0w40 in Houston. I plan to switch to it since I may need my generator at 0 - 100 F. If I lived in a warm climate I would be confident in SAE 30.

My generac was knocking up a storm when it got hot after an hour running a HM SN 10w30, so I put in Valvoline racing synthetic 10w30 and ~1 oz of LiquiMoly.. No knocks now.

The motor will tell you what she wants, boy.

Take note that MANY commercial landscapers and contractors use nothing more than 15W40 Rotella, Delvac or Delo to obtain the high hours accumulated on their air cooled generators or mowers. The remainder tend to use SAE 30.

You can spend a lot more for synthetic 10W30, and not get much (if any), performance benefits in a high temperature environment, like Texas. Ask some of these guys who are recommending that you use synthetic 10W30 (like Mobil 1), how many hours are on their equipment? I bet, it will be under 200 hours. They also live in states that don't see the summer temperatures you see in Texas.

As for me, I am currently using Chevron Delo Severe Duty 15W30 (yes 15W30), in both my Honda EU6500is generator, and my Kawasaki engined, Cub Cadet lawn tractor. It is the correct 30 wt viscosity, that most generator and engine manufacturers call for. It also performs as well as a 10W30 synthetic, if not better, at high temperatures. If I did not have it, I would not hesitate to use Delo 15W40.

Originally Posted By: ArcticDriver

Right. I would say no need or advantage for 0w40 in Houston. I plan to switch to it since I may need my generator at 0 - 100 F. If I lived in a warm climate I would be confident in SAE 30.

Thanks.

It is really a beneficial post when a guy includes the numbers to support his statements.

That is how I can learn.

I appreciate it.

Originally Posted By: Best F100
Take note that MANY commercial landscapers and contractors use nothing more than 15W40 Rotella, Delvac or Delo to obtain the high hours accumulated on their air cooled generators or mowers. The remainder tend to use SAE 30.

You can spend a lot more for synthetic 10W30, and not get much (if any), performance benefits in a high temperature environment, like Texas. Ask some of these guys who are recommending that you use synthetic 10W30 (like Mobil 1), how many hours are on their equipment? I bet, it will be under 200 hours. They also live in states that don't see the summer temperatures you see in Texas.

As for me, I am currently using Chevron Delo Severe Duty 15W30 (yes 15W30), in both my Honda EU6500is generator, and my Kawasaki engined, Cub Cadet lawn tractor. It is the correct 30 wt viscosity, that most generator and engine manufacturers call for. It also performs as well as a 10W30 synthetic, if not better, at high temperatures. If I did not have it, I would not hesitate to use Delo 15W40.

Those HDEO are really outstanding performers in so many vehicle and engine applications.

Currently using 15W40 Rotella in my 2008 Briggs 10.5 HP Generator
it's ready for hurricane season.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back