Oil & lspi

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm wondering which oils available now (or in the near future) will have chemistry which is designed to minimize lspi incidents. I think I've seen a list for dexos 1 gen 2. However I'm curious about dexos 2 and any other oils that will have this feature. Thanks

Some Castrol oils use a calcium/magnesium combo which often has a lower calcium content than when magnesium isn't in the mix.

Originally Posted By: Ammofirst
Are the dexos 2 oils formulated to help prevent lspi ? Or is it just dexos 1 gen 2 ?

I think Dexos 2 is a diesel engine spec. They wouldn't necessarily address LSPI in that case.

Are the dexos 2 oils formulated to help prevent lspi ? Or is it just dexos 1 gen 2 ?

I think you mean dexos 1 gen 2, and yes, that is a spec that's designed to reduce LSPI.

Just checked Wally World in Colo. Springs. They only have 1 oil in stock that is Dexos 1 gen 2 : You guessed it : Annual protection.

Originally Posted By: Smoqueed

I think you mean dexos 1, gen 2, and yes, that is a spec that's designed to reduce LSPI.

What a stupid Idea!

If it's confusing enough that the BITOG'ers are having to set each other straight, then the general idiot public will never comprehend this.

Originally Posted By: Smoqueed

I think you mean dexos 1 gen 2, and yes, that is a spec that's designed to reduce LSPI.
Read my post again. You wrote the same thing. Easy on the bong.

Just checked Wally World in Colo. Springs. They only have 1 oil in stock that is Dexos 1 gen 2 : You guessed it : Annual protection.

Are you SURE about this? I just checked all five bottles of Mobil 1 Annual Protection (4 Five quart jugs and a single quart bottle in 0W-20 grade), and they all just say Dexos 1.

I also just checked the Mobil 1 website - no mention of Dexos 1 gen 2 there either.

Well don't put me under oath but, according to this site http://www.centerforqa.com/dexos-brand2015/ Print page http://www.centerforqa.com/dexos-brand2015-print/ all the new gen 2 oils will have a license number that starts with D10. The gen 1 lic. #'s all start with GB. I checked all the dexos oil they had in stock. They all had license numbers that started with GB with the exception of mobile one annual protection, the license number on those all started with D10. I'm still new here, maybe someone can verify if this is correct.

I can confirm that all 5 of the containers I have of Mobil 1 Annual Protection 0w-20 have Dexos license numbers that begin with D10. Very interesting, and good to know. Thanks Ammofirst!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: btanchors
I can confirm that all 5 of the containers I have of Mobil 1 Annual Protection 0w-20 have Dexos license numbers that begin with D10. Very interesting, and good to know. Thanks Ammofirst!
Your welcome, That's a lot of oil. Did you get a good deal on the them ?

Ammofirst,

No special deal...I decided to use this oil in my new 2017 Lexus GS350, which has a non-turbo Direct Injection engine. I like to make the first couple of oil changes shorter than normal, and because of the cost of the oil, I was concerned Wal-Mart would stop carrying it, so I picked up a few jugs while I could get it at the cheaper price ($49.99 for 5 quarts at Wal-Mart). My local Advance Auto Parts sells the same size for $69.99.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back