GM 5.3L DoD 100k miles spark plugs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just did spark plugs on my 2005. ACDelco #110 iridium went in from AZ with new wires. 4 of those are from DoD cylinders. In for 12 years, came right out no problems. No worries with these plugs. Always Chevron Supreme 5w30 and Sinclair ethanol free whenever possible for fuel. Probably could have went a lot longer.

Just got in from doing the same job in our '05 Suburban. Looks about the same as what I pulled (mine has 112k). NGK TR5IXs went back in.

Look good to me. Now I don't feel so bad about the OEM plugs still being in the '03 Honda Element for thirteen years and 204,000 miles.

I have been thinking about changing them in the avalanche, 75k or so, but a lot of towing in third gear. Yours look good, maybe i'm ok till 100k.

Originally Posted By: spasm3
I have been thinking about changing them in the avalanche, 75k or so, but a lot of towing in third gear. Yours look good, maybe i'm ok till 100k.

No doubt you're fine.

Did you measure the gap on the plugs? they do open up by burning back the iridium, but slowly.
The tips are so small to see the burn, you need a magnifier to see it.

The kicker is these days you can't wait for plugs to misfire or the unburned HCs will damage
the cat converters!!

The DOD plugs are better than I expected. I would have suspected more deposits.

I changed mine (on 2008 TrailBlazer) at about 85,000 miles with about the same amount of deposits.

Last edited:
If you believe the Internet every 5.3 motor is on the verge of being an oil burner because of AFM.

Last edited:
I changed the plugs in my 09 Suburban yesterday. They did not look as good as Sprite's plugs. We have oxygenated, ethanol gas in NY so I guess that's harder on plugs. I have my DOD system blocked by a module right now.

Originally Posted By: faltic
Look good to me. Now I don't feel so bad about the OEM plugs still being in the '03 Honda Element for thirteen years and 204,000 miles.

You will feel the pain when you try to remove them someday.

Originally Posted By: NYEngineer
I changed the plugs in my 09 Suburban yesterday. They did not look as good as Sprite's plugs. We have oxygenated, ethanol gas in NY so I guess that's harder on plugs. I have my DOD system blocked by a module right now.

It is not. Take it from someone who has used it for practically all of his driving life. Someone who has been toying with car's and trucks for better than 20 years- the last 8 professionally. Ethanol at normal percentages is not the devil, and it certainly isn't harder on plugs.

Originally Posted By: Lubener

You will feel the pain when you try to remove them someday.

I doubt it. I've pulled plenty out at that mileage, and they always let loose without much drama.

And you don't have misfires? That is double what the factory says to go.

If they are Denso plugs, I am surprised they have not blown out of the head.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back