1st Post and starting off without a bunch of questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I've been on and off as a visitor here for a while over the years. Registered the other day after doing a good 20 hrs of research. Thought I would share with you guys with my input to the oil community.

Car is a VQ-35DE 2003 Infiniti G35 Sport Sedan.
Odometer reads 208K, engine has been replaced but mileage is unknown. Performs great, no oil consumption and getting 400 miles on a gas tank with city/highway mix so can't complain. Car has been slightly modified and doesn't run past 200 degrees farenheight, usually 195ish since ECU pulls timing at 200+ my temps here are 70 degrees low and close to 100 high in farenheight.

Bought car at 200K with fresh oil change, oil unknown but has a Black carquest premium filter so I left it. Now 8K later I figured it's time to change the oil and filter. Older older analysis showed on VQ-35DE that Castrol Synthetic 5W30 was one of the better performing oils in the VQ in the mid late 2005-2010 range. So after about 3-4 hrs today at Walmart, AutoZone and Pepboys I bought Castrol Edge 5W30 at $22.99 I think and a Fram Ultra for $8 if I remember correctly so the change will happen in the AM. I came close to grabbing the Pennzoil Platinum euro formula, something told me to go with Edge (that little guy in my head) There are some other oils I would much rather put in my car but they aren't readily available. Like Helix Ultra, stuff like that.

I've never cut a oil filter open, anyone have interest is seeing a Black carquest premium oil filter open after 8-9K miles and I want to add I've never had an oil analysis done. Should I get it done on an unknown oil or just wait til next round. Do you guys think I did ok going from a carquest premium to a Fram Ultra and Castrol Edge in an unknown mileage engine. I'm afraid of high mileage developed oils, never used them.

I want to add that on 350z forums back when the first averages of oil analysis we're posted in 2007 or so for the 2003-2007 VQ-35DE cars that Mobil1 scored lower on those engines than most of the other oils. High tin and chromium if my memory serves me correct so that's why I'm currently not considering it. I did favor this oil when I owned Modular and Pushrod engines.

Anyway thanks for having me here and I hope I didn't ramble to much. With the topics I talked about I wasn't sure which forum to really post in

Last edited:
Castrol Edge is an excellent oil. You did great!
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: OilSwag
I came close to grabbing the Pennzoil Platinum euro formula, something told me to go with Edge (that little guy in my head) There are some other oils I would much rather put in my car but they aren't readily available. Like Helix Ultra,

Hello and welcome,
Just for your information Royal Dutch Shell (RDS) markets Pennzoil products in North America and Shell Products in all other markets. They're the same oil, with all base oils comming from the Peal plant in the UAE. Oils are blended in either Europe / Hong Kong / Thialand or the USA, depending on the market. But the standards ar the same.

Nothing wrong with Castrol Edge, just don't feel that Pennzoil Plat. oils are not as good as Helix Ultra. They're identical, in a spec for spec analysis. Just a different bottle for different markets.

Regards
Jordan

So I've been on and off as a visitor here for a while over the years. Registered the other day after doing a good 20 hrs of research. Thought I would share with you guys with my input to the oil community.

Car is a VQ-35DE 2003 Infiniti G35 Sport Sedan.
Odometer reads 208K, engine has been replaced but mileage is unknown. Performs great, no oil consumption and getting 400 miles on a gas tank with city/highway mix so can't complain. Car has been slightly modified and doesn't run past 200 degrees farenheight, usually 195ish since ECU pulls timing at 200+ my temps here are 70 degrees low and close to 100 high in farenheight.

Bought car at 200K with fresh oil change, oil unknown but has a Black carquest premium filter so I left it. Now 8K later I figured it's time to change the oil and filter. Older older analysis showed on VQ-35DE that Castrol Synthetic 5W30 was one of the better performing oils in the VQ in the mid late 2005-2010 range. So after about 3-4 hrs today at Walmart, AutoZone and Pepboys I bought Castrol Edge 5W30 at $22.99 I think and a Fram Ultra for $8 if I remember correctly so the change will happen in the AM. I came close to grabbing the Pennzoil Platinum euro formula, something told me to go with Edge (that little guy in my head) There are some other oils I would much rather put in my car but they aren't readily available. Like Helix Ultra, stuff like that.

I've never cut a oil filter open, anyone have interest is seeing a Black carquest premium oil filter open after 8-9K miles and I want to add I've never had an oil analysis done. Should I get it done on an unknown oil or just wait til next round. Do you guys think I did ok going from a carquest premium to a Fram Ultra and Castrol Edge in an unknown mileage engine. I'm afraid of high mileage developed oils, never used them.

I want to add that on 350z forums back when the first averages of oil analysis we're posted in 2007 or so for the 2003-2007 VQ-35DE cars that Mobil1 scored lower on those engines than most of the other oils. High tin and chromium if my memory serves me correct so that's why I'm currently not considering it. I did favor this oil when I owned Modular and Pushrod engines.

Anyway thanks for having me here and I hope I didn't ramble to much. With the topics I talked about I wasn't sure which forum to really post in

I would dispute any conclusion about Mobil 1 causing issues relating to tin and chromium. Mobil 1 is excellent oil as are many others brands like PP. That's assuming the proper grade oil was used.

I used all 3 and consider them equivalent (PP, M1, Castrol Edge). I tend to stick with the 1st two when they offer $2/qt rebates...hence half the price of the Castrol. Pennz Plat rebates run all of 2017.

Just a FYI. Our g35 are spec to be running 5w30 dino oil and changing them every 3750 miles per manual and almost all the dealerships I used to hang around.

VQ35DE has been known to be a little harder on oil so try not to go too far on OCI. Early VQ35DE like 03 models had issues with oil burning and then the late 05-06 manual trans motor( rev-up motors) had similar issues.

My personally i've been using mobil5000,GTX and yellow bottle every 3750mile for about 60k. I would keep doing it but the oil rebates these past few years makes it roughly the same cost so i just get the syn oil and change it at 5k since its easier to do the math quickly.

I bought Castrol Edge 5W30 at $22.99 I think and a Fram Ultra for $8 if I remember correctly so the change will happen in the AM. I came close to grabbing the Pennzoil Platinum euro formula, something told me to go with Edge (that little guy in my head) There are some other oils I would much rather put in my car but they aren't readily available. Like Helix Ultra, stuff like that.

Great choices. Fram Ultra is the best, and Fram now claims 20k miles for it, upping it from the old 15k claim. Quality choice. I use either those or MicroGreen oil filters for performance. Just avoid anything to do with Carquest or Purolator (Carquest uses Purolator) since they tear more.

Helix Ultra is really Pennzoil Ultra here in the U.S. ... "Shell" oil here in the states is only conventional Group II based stuff.
Your application doesn't need the high HTHS oils like Castrol Edge 0w40 or Pennz Plat Euro 0w40, yet those oils are meeting such high performance standards, they are very tempting to use. If you went the MB 229.5 route using those 0w40's, you would have the BEST at the small cost of losing around 1.5% MPG and peak HP.

I've never cut a oil filter open,.............. I'm afraid of high mileage developed oils, never used them.

Wear leather gloves if you do it. Cut steel or aluminum can be hazardous to fingers/wrists. People use pipe cutters, but its a little difficult to find one that can cut the diameters needed sometimes. A High Mileage oil like the dexos1-rated Valvoline Full Synthetic MaxLife 5w30 would be perfect for your engine if you suspect the seals on it are from an older used engine. An HM oil has extra seal conditioners to keep the seals flexible enough to prevent leaks; won't hurt and might help. Next oil change maybe.

If you're value shopping for oil, consider Walmart's discounts on MilesSyn 5w30 dexos1 full syn quality oil. Walmart does a bizarre "pickup discount" if you order online and pick it up at your local Walmart which is substantial in some cases; varies a lot. Anything "dexos1" is a cut above SN GF-5 in performance.
Getting a cheaper synthetic like MilesSyn could be important if you end up changing every 5k miles or so.

One option to consider is doing 10k miles or 1 year, whichever comes first, on Mobil1 Extended Performance 5w30 or the Castrol Edge gold jug (walmart, amazon). Both those oils can go 15k in most applications, so 10k or 1 year would work nicely for you.

Thanks for the replies guys.I usually don't go 8K on oil at least in the past. Just changed it when I was doing other things. Even though I spent $30 on oil and filter I have no issue doing that 2x a year for insurance. This 8K change I did was 10 month OCI. Maybe lost a total of 1 quart that range. I need to maybe add 1/4 quart every 2 months.

Also grabbed 4 1.5 inch 10 pound pull ceramic magnets for a good price. I had one of those high dollar magnet guards on my mustang but it left with that car. Magnets we're 4 dollars and should help some since I couldn't find a magnetic drain plug locally for some reason

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back