E30 or E36

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm planning on buying cheap fun car/project in a form of E30 or E36. Budget is rather tight, but good, rust free examples can be found under 2K Euro. I would like to keep everything under 3K for now so here is my question.
Difference between e30/e36/e36 compact? It would be only play car so are the latter cars that dull as I hear, or still decent? I would prefer 6 cylinder but 4 would work for me for now.
Thanks!

Abused or high mileage E36's WILL tear out their rear subframe mounts, and their front strut towers are prone to mushrooming over time.

Not to mention all the plastic cooling system parts that like to leak with age, and the plastic impellers on the water pumps break apart even at low mileage.

With that said, I do prefer driving an E36 over an E30, and if I could find a well maintained, low mileage E36 in good shape, I would go for that, even with the reliability issues. Just be ready to shell out some big $ if you have subframe issues.

E30 is the more enjoyable drivers car, but e36 will be more refined and comfortable.

I vote 4 cyl E30.

E36 cooling system is terrible. The car is overweight and looks dated.

E30 parts can be harder to find but owning & driving is 10x better

Thanks guys for help. I have drove number of E30 and few E36s, but quick drive is not the same as ownership.
The M3 is I'm afraid out of my budget, having a 6 yo and plans for house renovation..

So it's going to be either a 318, 320 or if I get lucky 323 ti compact.

Pros for E30:
Better, more youngtimer looks, mostly good examples left on the road.
Cleaner, less plasticky interior.
Lighter, more compact.
Already a classic.
Easier to fix/maintain.
Cons:
More expensive to obtain, body panels are hard to get now.

E36
Pros:
More contemporary drive, better equipped.
Cons:
High maintenance associated with old modern cars( everything plastic)
Not old enough so one can look like trying something in a 2K BMW.
Heavy and big- needs 6 to move.

E36- compact
Pros:
Lighter, more compact car
E30 rear axle means it will oversteer, prefer the drive over other 36s for tracking/playing
A/C are common which is a must.
Cons:
Dorky looking hatchback
Not cool
323 ti hard to find
I'm thinking out loud here, I don't need the car for daily, commute or anything sensible. Just want a light RWD for cheap. The AR 75 was my first choice but they are mega expansive if decent, and being old Italian car there are few and far between left. It is also well balanced so it doesn't oversteer.

I prefer the E30 325i. Very reliable, but the E36 cars were more refined (quieter, smoother, etc.), especially the convertibles.

The early E30 cars had the M10 4 cylinder. Later cars with 4 cylinder had the M42, which was also used in the E36. More power than the M10, but give me the six any day. I've driven both and the six just feels better in both the E30 and E36.

For what you plan to spend, I would find the best car for the money. Drive both and see which you like best.

I've put over 120,000 miles on an '88 325i convertible. It's been a great car and very fun to drive.

I loved my '97 328i convertible - get one if you're looking for a fun car.
But, be sure you can, or can learn, to wrench it yourself.
I tell people that the car got to the point of "WHAT is wrong with it *this* week"
But, truth to tell, most things were niggling annoyances.
Major items were new cooling system at 85k
radiator
overflow tank
belts & hoses
water pump (new all-metallic pump)
water pump cover (new aluminum cover)
and swapped OEM fan to electric fan (OEM known to disintegrate & take out radiator & hood)
Whole shebang ran about $360 in parts, and 1/2 day of my own labor.
Only other major item was fuel level sender, since it was integrated with fuel pump.
China copy of pump & sender was around $70, again, self install.
Start hanging around BMW sites, problems with the E36 are many, but KNOWN, & most easily solvable.
Good Luck and enjoy.

Last edited:
The four-cylinder E36s are slow, but don't have the same severity of cooling system issues that the sixes do.

Aside from the early profile gasket failures, the M42 cooling systems are bulletproof.

The switch to some plastic components (thermostat housing and a pipe on the rear of the head) on the M44 mean they can eventually fail, but both are external components that aren't that difficult to replace.

But neither the M42/44 have issues with their water pumps, or radiators/expansion tanks that the sixes do. Since they also have remote coil packs and lack the coil-on-plug ignition, coil failure is also not an issue.

And while the sixes are no slouches, something often overlooked is that fours (of both generations) are just so ever slightly sweeter handlers because of less weight over the front axle. (A GM LS V8 weighs less than the BMW sixes--that transplant is also a fun project).

BMW tried a lot of new things with the E36, and eventually patched up many of the issues. While the design is good, interior build quality was substandard to begin with, and only managed to reach mediocrity, though things do look nicer on the later cars. The electronic HVAC controls are more potentially troublesome, though.

Stiff suspensions, poor roads, and/or abuse can cause the rear subframes to tear from the body (something that also affected the E36 7/8 Z3s and continued with the E46s!), but it's not a chronic issue by any means. M3s had the reinforcement plates installed at the factory, and though labor intensive, they're something a hobbyist who can weld can install as well (same with the rear sway bar tab reinforcements; again, something normal cars are unlikely to need).

The E36/5 compact is bit of an odd bird. Some people like that the trailing arm rear suspension makes it more lively than the more buttoned-down Z-axle. But overall, it's not quite as refined in terms of NVH as the other E36s. The interior fittings and HVAC system were also designed with lower cost targets; not a huge difference, but something to note. The long doors (longest of any E36) sometimes manifest themselves in the window hardware failing and causing the glass to derail (but the regulators are still more solid than the Mickey Mouse cable design in the E46s).

If you like the E30, the compact is the closest you'll come to one, in E36 clothes.

To me, the E30 is the last of the old-school BMWs. The doors shut and latch with a raw metallic "snap" like older German cars do. The interior is very clearly driver-oriented. In 318iS form, it's light, very sweet handling, and the last evolution of the E30.

It will probably come down to preference, and finding a good example.

Even an E46 would be ok, before BMW started to lose the plot with the E90 and later.

The company is now ruled by the bean counters (an opinion shared by execs who have departed), and while it's undeniably doing well as a business, the cars don't have the same appeal for enthusiasts.

Originally Posted By: L_Sludger
E30 every day and twice on Sunday.

thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: CincyDavid
I can tell you from experience that E30 convertibles leak like crazy, whatever that's worth. I've had both, and STZRONGLY prefer the E30 driving experience. Truth be known, an E28 535i would be a fun toy too.
I still have my leaky E30 convertible
lol.gif
whistle.gif
whistle.gif
whistle.gif
whistle.gif

Last edited:
I have an E36 Compact(318ti M Sport) that I have owned since new. All I've done to it is replace the thermostat, lower control arm bushings, one set of rotors/two sets of pads,and the serpentine belts. At 144K I'm looking at the LCABs and belts again. It is slow(even with the Turner/Conforti chip it runs 0-60 in the very high sevens), but I love to drive it. I doubt that I will ever sell it.

So I have to change plans on a BMW purchase. First I have to make some room in my front yard. With my boat , camping trailer, cars there's simply no more room. My work van is already parked at the street.
I'm thinking of selling wife's Punto and to give Stilo to my dad.

So the bimmer will have to be wife's daily, and my weekend toy. E30 is out of the question now, I'm looking into e36 323ti or e46 325ti (compacts).
Can't wait, I miss RWD so hard.

So other than the cooling system there's not much to worry with 6 cylinder?

Last edited:
I had an E36 Compact for 12 years. Pretty good car, lots of little issues, but the big stuff was solid. The GM auto was still perfect at 175,000 miles (282,000 km) when I pulled it out and did a manual swap. Could have used some more power, but it was still fun.

Would have kept it but the rust was so bad it was time to dump it (at 250,000 miles / 402,000 km).

The E36 is a bigger, heavier car, with a driving experience wholly different than an E30. And an E30 has actual to goodness round headlights.

E30 is the Ultimate Driving Machine. E36 isn't.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back