New ATF cooler and inline filter installed!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Spent a good chunk of th day installing a new Tru Cool LPD 4590 on my 2008 Suburban LT with the 4L60E. While I was at it, I also installed a Napa inline PS/ATF filter. I fed the cooler from the radiator outlet and installed the filter downstream of the cooler. I've added 1/2 quart of new ATF and will probably need to add a little more once I have it up to temp.

It went pretty well, though I'm sure I could do it tomorrow in about half the time. Assuming it's done right, it wasn't a bad job at all. Always a great feeling to be done... (Knock on wood.)

Any pictures?
What is weight was it rated for? I put one on my 3/4 truck that is for 30,000 gross. Money well spent!!!

Last edited:
Got a bigger travel trailer, Kira. Needed more cooling capacity. Here in the Mountain West, we've got some long, hard uphill pulls and this time of year, some hot temps to go with it.

Been on Bitog for ten years, Mike, and still don't know how to post a pic. (The mount wasn't super sexy, but after I got the fascia off this morning I sent a pic to my NASCAR fan neighbor and told him I was just going back out on the track to make a few more laps and get a few extra points.)

That will certainly help your 4L60E.

What kind of trailer did you get? I have a travel trailer fetish...LOL.

Did you install it in the center in place of the factory ATF cooler or a supplemental cooler in addition to the stock cooler?

It didn't have a factory cooler on it, just the normal in-radiator cooling. i mounted it right in the middle, about 3inches out from the front of the condenser.

It was 90 degrees out this evening and took it pretty hard up a five mile incline. Tranny only got to 174 degrees. Without the cooler, I'm guessing it would have been 205, at least. I'm pretty pleased so far.

Bought a 23 ft. Keystone Springdale that weighs 4200 dry. More like 6k with water and stuff. We have one trip we like to make that's basically 100 miles uphill with many other similar landscapes to travel. Felt like a day's work and $140 in cooler, extra hose, filter and fittings would be a wise investment in a new to me truck with 115k miles.

Originally Posted By: HawkeyeScott
Bought a 23 ft. Keystone Springdale that weighs 4200 dry. More like 6k with water and stuff. We have one trip we like to make that's basically 100 miles uphill with many other similar landscapes to travel. Felt like a day's work and $140 in cooler, extra hose, filter and fittings would be a wise investment in a new to me truck with 115k miles.

Nice! We have a Keystone Passport 3220BH. It is 35 feet from tongue to the rear bumper.
Keystone makes a decent trailer. Ours is a 2012 and has been a really good unit. A few small issue here and there, but overall we have been pleased.
Tranny cooler will be nice. I towed over to Wenatchee this past Memorial day. 93 degrees out. A few pretty good size long passes. I am at about 14100 to 146500 combined weight towing. Never saw the temps go above 210. Usually hangs out around 165 to 180 towing.

Originally Posted By: ls1mike
Originally Posted By: HawkeyeScott

Nice! We have a Keystone Passport 3220BH. It is 35 feet from tongue to the rear bumper.
Keystone makes a decent trailer. Ours is a 2012 and has been a really good unit. A few small issue here and there, but overall we have been pleased.
Tranny cooler will be nice. I towed over to Wenatchee this past Memorial day. 93 degrees out. A few pretty good size long passes. I am at about 14100 to 146500 combined weight towing. Never saw the temps go above 210. Usually hangs out around 165 to 180 towing.

Sounds like you and your temps are right where they need to be!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back