2017 2.3 EB Explorer 3,600 mile trip, 11 days

Status
Not open for further replies.
We just got back from a RT from NJ to Key West in my wife's 2017 2.3 EB Explorer. I drove the entire 3,600 miles because I'm a terrible passenger
grin2.gif
. This Explorer is extremely smooth riding without "floating", the electric steering is spot on stable at all speeds and the handling is really good also, tight in turns, no slop. The interior is really comfortable and user friendly. After 13 hour days driving the seats were still supportive and very comfortable. The small 2.3L EB engine was a champ. It provided all the power of the 4.6 V-8 her 2005 Explorer has but got an amazing 23.23 mpg overall. This was with the majority of the mileage being highway at 75-85 mph. This mpg was determined from actual miles and gallons used, not by the computer which was slightly optimistic, but not by much. I did use premium fuel per Ford's recommendation for the summer heat with this engine. I changed the oil right before the trip to Mobil 1 5W-30. I used 3 oz more than the 5.7 qt fill and used those 3 oz in the 3,600 mile trip, so I'm back at the full mark at the hash marks. This is really good since all the other times I first used Mobil 1 it always used more in the first 1,000 miles but then didn't use any after that. I'm old and usually like basic vehicles with manual transmissions with no frills but I have to say this Explorer is really nice and user friendly.

Whimsey

My new to me 2017 Fusion has the electric PS and I to really like the feel of it. Now I hope the reliability is there. Time will tell.

The Mazda CX-9 is ranked first in this class. Ford Explorer comes in way down at #7. For anybody consider buying one, you could do better. Pretty much any major reviewing organization you pick ranks it low.

Originally Posted By: oil_film_movies
The Mazda CX-9 is ranked first in this class. Ford Explorer comes in way down at #7. For anybody consider buying one, you could do better. Pretty much any major reviewing organization you pick ranks it low.

This guy is happy with his so why post this nonsense?
CX9 in the early years was a known loser of the highest order.

Cool beans. I posted on the recent Ford Explorer thread that I rather like the look of the Explorer. Also that 'if' I was looking at one in XLT trim, I'd prefer the 2.3L EB over the 3.5L. I admit, I'm intrigued by the EB.

Sounds like a nice trip and I'm the same about driving. A very poor passenger.

These 17 Explorers are great cruisers, enjoy

I'm about to take on the same trip from North Atlanta area to Key West by the end of the week in my Mazda6, two people; About 13hrs per my GPS

Last edited:
"This guy is happy with his so why post this nonsense?"
"CX9 in the early years was a known loser of the highest order."

I wonder why it was a loser? Could it have something to do with having a Ford engine? Today's Mazda which OFM refers to is a totally different vehicle.

With that said, glad to hear the OP likes his Explorer.

Who wants a Mazda?

Originally Posted By: CT8
Who wants a Mazda?

Has Mazda fixed their RUST problems yet?

Originally Posted By: AirgunSavant

This guy is happy with his so why post this nonsense?
CX9 in the early years was a known loser of the highest order.

I agree.

Yeah IMHO, FORD has gotten the suspension just right on several of their vehicles in terms of their ride & handling combo. Very absorbent over broken pavement without being/feeling, floaty/mushy. Rock solid without jarring ones teeth or upsetting the passengers. The Edge, Escape & Fusion come to mind as well.

I also like the new Explorers. They simply drive well. And, more importantly, depending on model and configuration, they drive far better than the competition. Crazy to consider autocrossing one, but they are that good.

Originally Posted By: CT8
Who wants a Mazda?

Might be one or two people out there! Mazda does amazing work.
I'm all about the complete truth when discussing vehicles, so I never shy away from the facts. .... Its true the Ford Explorer fails on a lot of performance issues and design elegance.

That said, of course it does have positive attributes which are appealing. I do like that trick small displacement 2.3L EB engine in a heavy vehicle. Similar to Ford Focus 1.0L (tiny) EB models, you can get seriously good MPG if you drive gently enough to keep it out of boost most of the time.

Really, people reading these forums should get the whole truth so they don't rush out and buy an Explorer without considering ALL the facts first.

Also, police fleets have chosen the Ford Explorer en masse, and they choose carefully. They see something all the vehicle experts aren't seeing I guess.

It reminds me of a '95 Windstar I had a few years ago. It was a bit of a beast, yet very satisfying to use and drive (utility, comfort).

Seat comfort is the biggest thing for me, followed closely by good A/C. If my back hurts and I have to keep squirming around, I'll quickly grow to detest the vehicle.

I haven't had any exposure to the new Explorer, the last one I had was a 2002, and aside from eating front tires no matter how many times it was aligned, it was OK. I realize the new one is a completely different animal.

Originally Posted By: KrisZ
Too bad some people just can't keep their heavy bias against domestics to themselves.

No "bias" here. I like many GM models, some Ford models, etc. It depends on which design. It is true Japanese makes are very good though, can't deny the truth.
No fluffy, PC answers here. Again, we owe it to readers to give the unvarnished truth. Snowflakes need not apply.....

Yep, nice report sharing the trip experience, and new Ford Explorer experience. As for a certain reply, it's a major reason why I never share specific information about my vehicle choices or purchases on this sub forum.

I may not agree with or even like the vehicle choice a member makes, but I wouldn't rain on anyone's parade so to speak. If I can't say something nice about it, rather say nothing at all. But the least I could and do frequently say is, enjoy it in good health.

And if he reads this, I did strongly agree with long time member tenderloin's post in a similar vein only much more direct and to the point, before he edited it. However, I understand why it got changed. My .02

OP, thanks for sharing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back