My take on white vehicles

Status
Not open for further replies.
My wife and I bought our first new (it was slightly used, but still new to us) white vehicle last summer. We usually don't care for white, but the 2015 Sienna looked nice in this color. I had a white Honda Accord a few years back, but it was a beater and I didn't care about taking care of the paint. I do care about this vehicle and I try keep it clean and detailed as much as possible. Here is my take on white as a vehicle color:

Pros: It doesn't show dirt as much as darker colors until it gets extremely dirty. It also doesn't show water spots as bad either.

Cons: It would be nice if automakers would use light colors for the primer (on the metal parts), and for the material used for making the bumper covers. The bumper covers are made of black, so the entire front end looks like it has freckles. Everywhere there are rock chips, it takes it down to black, and for a van that is less than 2 years old to have this many pock marks on the front end already is unacceptable. Automakers need to bone up and put something more durable on the front of vehicles. With today's technology, I'm sure they could come up with something better. I know their bottom line is profits, but come on, the paints they're using these days are too thin (not enough coats), and are way too fragile. I'm on the fence about the color white overall...I don't know if the pros are enough to offset the cons...

White really pops when clean and waxed. Plus it is a cooler temp color during the summer.

A good thing about white is that it doesn't "fade",it stays white. My 300ZX is Arctic Pearl white and it still looks brand new. My favorite color is red,and it looks absolutely stunning when it's washed and waxed.

I love white, black, and grey cars.

HATE washing white though. Mother had a pearl white Cadillac ctsv and now she has a white grand Cherokee. You NEED to get every spot, for if you slack, it will show.

A vehicle design which looks good in white is said to be good, I've heard.
I am biased as I like the color in a car, van, SUV etc., generally speaking.

White core construction for white bumpers-why not? A premium doesn't sound unreasonable.
Hmmm....Four core colors for a particular car could cover ten finish colors, no? 2 could cover 5 or 6.

Worth it? Could a bumper's finish be made strong enough to resist/lessen rock gouges?
Where did Endura go? Even Endura (GM/Pontiac feature) aged well.

My closest-to-white car was a 1999 Ford Taurus in "Titanium". The color's traditional name was "Putty".
Ford made that paint strong.

Sounds like you're not entirely thrilled with white. Navy blue is said to be the industry's "can't fail" color. Everything on wheels looks great in navy blue.

I've seen a 1968 Dodge Charger and this: https://classiccars.com/listings/find/all-years/jaguar/e-type in white. Neither was pretty.

We need to understand the monochromatic mania that has taken hold the last 10-15 years. A typical new car lot has about 80-90% monochromatic vehicles on hand. You see just enough of the rare blue, red, gold, or brown vehicles to have a "choice". This all came about a decade ago due to the fact manufactures could buy cheaper white paint, or pay more for the pigmented colors. The added expense was slight but enough to tip the scales, and we ended up with mostly monochromatic cars.

To me, white = utility or service vehicles.

White or silver are my favorites. Both don`t look as dirty as dark cars , plus i think you see the shapes of them better than dark colors.

Years ago when rust was more of a problem than these days, a white car was something to steer clear of. They rust more than dark colours, and they hide repair work very well. If if was a colour change to white, then it was a no go, it would be full of bog and not very well done.

Originally Posted By: Jimkobb
White or silver are my favorites. Both don`t look as dirty as dark cars , plus i think you see the shapes of them better than dark colors.

I have two Fusions. One white and one silver.

The fact that every company truck I get is white. I am sorta used to it.
I really don't have any complaints about it.
I owned one black truck, just one, never again.
I hate Black.
It's Hot and you can wash, wax it and five minutes later look at the dust on it.

I love white cars, my Jeep is white. I can take it off-roading for 100 miles and it still looks ok afterwards.

It's possible your front bumper has been repainted. My 2015 Sonata has had the front bumper repainted, clean Carfax.

I luv white cars; design and contures of the car are best presented in white; plus it is cold color like someone have said it earlier...

Also I like a tan interior inside and no leather for me please

Originally Posted By: Donald
White is listed as one of the easiest color cars to see in bad light situations.

Except snowstorms.

Originally Posted By: gfh77665
Originally Posted By: CT8
Plus it is a cooler temp color during the summer.

Pretty sure that theory has been debunked.

Ye cannae change the Law's o' Physics, Captain.

Unless you come from the planet BITOG, of course.

Quite popular here for the above reason, but not as popular as black, because a lot of people are...er...less than well informed.

Originally Posted By: ArcticDriver
White is my favorite vehicle color...until rust appears.

Rust is classic. Never goes out of style.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back