Bosch Iridium plugs

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Accord in my signature is getting to the point where it could benefit from some new plugs. The only place where I can find NGK's at a halfway decent price is Rock Auto. However, I can get the Bosch's locally at a decent price. I have never had Bosch plugs before in my life. Anyone have any experience with them in this application?

Originally Posted By: Tdbo
The Accord in my signature is getting to the point where it could benefit from some new plugs. The only place where I can find NGK's at a halfway decent price is Rock Auto. However, I can get the Bosch's locally at a decent price. I have never had Bosch plugs before in my life. Anyone have any experience with them in this application?

I don't think you'll notice any difference between NGK, Bosch, Denso, or the other big names. Just get the right gap and heat range and you'll be good to go.

Are they iridium plugs or "double iridium" plugs? Bosch makes both and the double iridium plugs are longer lasting.

Make sure you get the correct heat range. The Accord with a 2.4L engine and California emissions uses a hotter plug, #96305, the non Cal model use plug #9619.

Denso is good too, if that helps
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: skyactiv
Are they iridium plugs or "double iridium" plugs? Bosch makes both and the double iridium plugs are longer lasting.

All I can get locally is the iridium.

Based on my experience, iridium plugs last a long time. I changed them out on my 2010 Mazda 3 at 90k and they could have been used much longer. I never noticed any difference.

I got some cheap NGK plugs a last year off Amazon. I was wondering why they where so cheap and looked around online and found that a few Chinese companies make knock off NGK plugs.

From what I read on a handful of sites and on the NGK site I'm certain mine are real but I would keep that in mind if you find some super cheap plugs.

I hate all Bosch plugs except for the ones in my Stihl chainsaws. Those I trust, but others I am not impressed with.

NGK or Nippondenso is the only Iridium ones I will fork over my $$$$ for

There are various online suppliers who specialize in plugs and offer good pricing.
I bought a set of Denso double plats and wires a few years back from sparkplugs.com and they offered very good pricing, better than RA.
If it were me, I'd use either NGKs or Densos over Bosch.
Bear in mind that you also have the option of using old school plugs with the correct reach and heat range.
The only downside is that you'll need to change them more often.

I would replace the plugs with the exact same and price wouldn't be a issue.

Originally Posted By: Linctex
I hate all Bosch plugs except for the ones in my Stihl chainsaws. Those I trust, but others I am not impressed with.

NGK or Nippondenso is the only Iridium ones I will fork over my $$$$ for

I agree.

I used to say use Bosch in my VAG vehicles and NGK in my Japanese but I start having trouble with Bosch so switched to NGK in my VW's and AUDI's.
Other car owners from my European forums were making the same conclusions.

As for Iridium...I did have an experience where the center "wire" electrode had burned down to the insulator tip on 3 of the 4 Iridium plugs when I removed them one year after installation. I personally prefer the less expensive old school design and I change them more frequently...but then I like to turn a wrench on my vehicles and keep an eye on what is happening.

Out of curiousity, do any of you check the plug gap on the old plugs you are removing? Do you often find the gap has increased?

Last edited:
Big NGK fan here, but I've used Bosch plugs in specific applications in the past. If you hear Bosch plugs work well in your specific year / make / model, they're probably OK.

UPDATE:
Ended going with the NGK's from Rock Auto.
Four (including shipping) was less than the price of two locally, and was about $2.00 more than the cheaper Bosch's that were available locally.
Now awaiting arrival.

UPDATE:
Four (including shipping) was less than the price of two locally, and was about $2.00 more than the cheaper Bosch's that were available locally.
Now awaiting arrival.

Good choice. Should only use NGK in a Honda. Which version did you get? NGK lists "Iridium" and "Platinum" for the car, the "Platinum" are actually the correct plug, they are actually Iridium with a platinum ground electrode instead of a copper ground. The OE plugs are the "Platinum" version and will easily last twice as long as the "Iridium" version.

Last edited:
Couple days ago I put a set of NGK double electrode Lazer something platinum something plugs in a older Camry.
I guess I should have just gone with the Iridium NGK and now I don't know why I didn't.
I also changed the Hyundai Iridium plugs out with same at 105k and was surprised at 105k how good they looked. I'm sold on Iridium.
Seems when it comes to Iridium, I mostly hear about NGK is the one to get.

On the Camry I think its because it was what I pulled out and since they ran good I just went with the same. No matter, the car has new plugs, wires, and a big bunch of other things recently done because I'm giving the car to a grand daughter. I kind of want to keep the car for my to/from work 2 hour commute, but she needs a car. I guess if she racks up the miles, come next time I'll just go Iridium and be done with it. I should have known better.

Originally Posted By: mightymousetech
UPDATE:
Now awaiting arrival.

Good choice. Should only use NGK in a Honda. Which version did you get? NGK lists "Iridium" and "Platinum" for the car, the "Platinum" are actually the correct plug, they are actually Iridium with a platinum ground electrode instead of a copper ground. The OE plugs are the "Platinum" version and will easily last twice as long as the "Iridium" version.

Platinums. They were listed as OE.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back