Aerobic septic system

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone have experience with a septic that is aerobic? Looks like a PIA. Looking at a house in DE that has one.

What about a power failure? No power to run pumps, etc.

I have had several houses in the Northeast that had normal anaerobic septic systems. Those you pump every 5 years and good to go.

Only time I ever had issue was when daughter was learning to wipe. She used a roll Everytime she went into the bathroom.

been living in a house with an aeration tank septic for about 20 years. they were all the rage around here in the late 70's when this house was built.

yes, when the power goes out, it doesn't pump air, or stir the pot.
but also with out power, we don't have water, need power to run the well pump... it's just something you get used to.

similar rules to normal anaerobic tanks apply. limit the amount of paper, grease, bleach, etc. if some moron flushes a wipe, it can/likely will, get caught in the impeller, and possibly cost you $500 for a new pump.

have to get it pumped, and get the "socks" washed/replaced every 3-5 years or so, and the pumps do wear out(runs 24/7), and as i stated before, a new one is at least $500.

and the one thing i can't get my dad to understand, Rid-EX does NOTHING in an aerobic tank. rid-ex uses anaerobic microbes.

Last edited:
I was reading some info and it looked like some systems got the waste water 95% clean and sprayed it on the lawn (I assume).

Did you have to add chlorine to the system?

Originally Posted By: Donald

Yes, large white tablets for this specific use (final treatment before irrigation).
Do NOT use swimming pool tablets.

I have a basic septic system (no pump) that flows into a sandy soil field. Built the house 14 years ago, and with two residents and some frequent guests in a 5 bedroom home, I never had the tank pumped out until last week. And it looked pretty [censored] good when Mr. Honeydipper serviced it. Over the years I used a Zep septic tank additive 3-4 times a year because a septic man told me if I did, I may never need to have it pumped. He may have been right, but I figured I'd do it and be good for the next 10 years.

Anyone have experience with a septic that is aerobic? Looks like a PIA. Looking at a house in DE that has one.

Our mountain home has a gravity septic. Thank goodness.

No idea about aerobic.

I was reading some info and it looked like some systems got the waste water 95% clean and sprayed it on the lawn (I assume).

ours does not have such a system. the discharge water goes through a perforated drainage line, and ties into a tile that runs along the edge of the field behind us.

Around me in the low lying river areas it's about the only thing they let you put in. But then most turn the pumps off......

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: SHOZ
Around me in the low lying river areas it's about the only thing they let you put in. But then most turn the pumps off......

Yeah, they can be a real bummer with the extra pumps and maintenance, but if your water table is high, you have limited ground space and/or your County Health Department dictates it, you don't have a choice on the type of system. I've never seen an aerobic system near me.

We lived in rural SE Louisiana for over 6 years last decade in a house with an aerobic sewage treatment system. It was trouble-free, even with hurricane related power outages from Katrina, Rita, & Gustav. All houses in that area had such systems and they all discharged to the drainage ditches via gravity drainage. Had our system pumped out before we moved out just as a routine PM measure before putting the house on the market, that was the only work it required.

Last edited:

Yeah, without power your pump is going to go out, but so will everything else, well pump, lift station pump, etc.

There are dozens of kinds of them. To remain NSF compliant they need servicing twice annually. What that means completely varies by design.

Septic treatment treatment technology gets better and better. Bio-Microbics makes a treatment unit that also uses a membrane so the effluent is actually useable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back