OCI Recommend

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a little conundrum! I had a couple of strokes last year and because of I only put 600 miles on my RAV (could not drive). Question is, since the short mileage and one year since change, what would you suggest for my OCI? Used Castrol Edge last change with PS7020 K&N filter.

You probably could go longer but being concerned, change the oil and filter.

change every 2years. but dont worry avout it unless your usage of the car is going to also change.

First off, glad that you've gotten better and hope the trend continues.

Oil: only 600 miles leaves no question for me - ok for the oil to stay in. The only "?" I would have is the filter, and that's likely just fine as well.

Originally Posted By: Kuato
The only "?" I would have is the filter, and that's likely just fine as well.

I would NOT even question the filter.
I have never had one fail due to calendar time - EVER.

Go 5,000 on your oil & filter, that's plenty safe.

Don't tell the RAV, but you could certainly leave oil and filter in service for another year.
If you start driving the car a whole lot more, then maybe you could change the oil a little early in miles.
I wouldn't throw away oil that's only done 600 miles.

Interesting that all of you say TWO years.

What evidence do you have to support that? Does the maintenance schedule in the Owner's Manual state 2 years?

The reason I ask is that I have always read and heard ONE year.

Here is what a Toyota Service Center instructs:

What are the oil change intervals using synthetic oil?
Only Toyota vehicles in which 0w-20 synthetic oil is required (except for the 2TR-FE and 3UR-FBE Engines*) have been approved for extended oil change intervals of 10,000-miles/12-months. (However, you should continue to check the oil level regularly and top off if needed. That will help your engine get the full benefit of synthetic oil.)

Vehicles in which 0w-20 is an option to 5w-20 mineral oil, (or 5w-30), will continue to require 5,000-mile/6-month oil change intervals, even if 0w-20 oil is used.
------------------------------------------

I've noticed the advice on this has changed over the years. Has there been any UOA's on oil left in for 2-5 years ? Just curious.

Originally Posted By: Ammofirst
I've noticed the advice on this has changed over the years. Has there been any UOA's on oil left in for 2-5 years ? Just curious.

Yes, several. Up to 7 years IIRC. And the oil was serviceable.

I would take it for a nice long hwy trip to cook out any condensation and get everything loosened up again.

If it's going to keep you up at night, change it. Otherwise run it to 5k (conservative)

I wish guys would post UOAs to support their comments...otherwise it just appears to be personal opinion from strangers.

Originally Posted By: ArcticDriver

I wish guys would post UOAs to support their comments...otherwise it just appears to be personal opinion from strangers.

I'm on about 5 years on low mileage in tropical conditions with mineral oil. Seems OK, in my personal opinion, but I am a bit strange.

(If I had to get a UOA to verify it it'd be cheaper to just change the oil, so I won't be doing that, but I'm interested when other people do.)

What evidence do you have to support that? Does the maintenance schedule in the Owner's Manual state 2 years?

Only Toyota vehicles in which 0w-20 synthetic oil is required (except for the 2TR-FE and 3UR-FBE Engines*) have been approved for extended oil change intervals of 10,000-miles/12-months. (However, you should continue to check the oil level regularly and top off if needed. That will help your engine get the full benefit of synthetic oil.)

Vehicles in which 0w-20 is an option to 5w-20 mineral oil, (or 5w-30), will continue to require 5,000-mile/6-month oil change intervals, even if 0w-20 oil is used.

1) In the US, the engineers and lawyers design to the lowest common denominator so there's some buffer room.
Case in point, the fuel warning light or range meter. There is easily 2 gallons and when the Fuel light goes on or the Range says Refuel now. Same with the oil recommendation. If humans were more like say a Star Trek Vulcan, when range=0 miles and fuel hits E, then the car would be exactly out of gas.

2) The OP's oil choice is better than the minimal synthetic oil requirements.

Therefore, a doubling of the printed recommendation from the engineers leads to the 2year rec. If you want to stay by the book, then the book is there, no need to post to ask for an alternate rec.

Additionally, I can see other Legal+Sales and marketting guys have a hand in that too. It is harder to justify a safety-only maintenance check where nothing gets done; so they may force that on you by having a required 1year service procedure.
From a sales perspective that's a win. But also from a legal perspective they want to CYA so they can say you missed a maintenance and that's why your car isn't working right.

Last edited:
If you live in a climate that often experiences freezing temps or in a very humid location, there may be cause to chage it out. If not (and given how little care the general population places towards car care,) I'd say you'd be fine.

All the best in your recovery.
Jordan

Does the maintenance schedule in the Owner's Manual state 2 years?

Because people forget, that's why.
You have to lower the requirements down to the level of the "neglectful", in hopes they might manage to remember to do some sort of auto maintenance occasionally.

They ARE posted.

Why are you so militant?

Have you bothered to read any of the DATA and FACTS that the archives in this forum are filled with, that prove you wrong?

Originally Posted By: raytseng

1) In the US, the engineers and lawyers design to the lowest common denominator so there's some buffer room.
Case in point, the fuel warning light or range meter. There is easily 2 gallons and when the Fuel light goes on or the Range says Refuel now. Same with the oil recommendation. If humans were more like say a Star Trek Vulcan, when range=0 miles and fuel hits E, then the car would be exactly out of gas.

2) The OP's oil choice is better than the minimal synthetic oil requirements.

Therefore, a doubling of the printed recommendation from the engineers leads to the 2year rec. If you want to stay by the book, then the book is there, no need to post to ask for an alternate rec.

Additionally, I can see other Legal+Sales and marketting guys have a hand in that too. It is harder to justify a safety-only maintenance check where nothing gets done; so they may force that on you by having a required 1year service procedure.
From a sales perspective that's a win. But also from a legal perspective they want to CYA so they can say you missed a maintenance and that's why your car isn't working right.

Opinion with solid reasoning to support it.

Sounds convincing to me.

Thanks

Originally Posted By: Linctex
Does the maintenance schedule in the Owner's Manual state 2 years?

Because people forget, that's why.
You have to lower the requirements down to the level of the "neglectful", in hopes they might manage to remember to do some sort of auto maintenance occasionally.

They ARE posted.

Why are you so militant?

Have you bothered to read any of the DATA and FACTS that the archives in this forum are filled with, that prove you wrong?

Militant?

FIrst time I have ever been described as that.

Just detail oriented and in a career not prone to putting greater faith in opinions than supported evidence, in this case, manufacturer instructions.

Didn't mean to offend anyone.

As far as your claim that the UOAs prove me wrong...I don't recall making any statement except to ask what the manufacturer recommendations state.

3 years 3 months UOA on Mercedes SLK230 Supercharged using Mobil 1 0W-40
The results were very good.

https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthr...arg#Post2121384

I still have the Blackstone printout and is saved on their site, but I can't figure out to post it here, maybe I can email it to you.

Anyway in 5750 miles, 3 years 3 months, iron was 6 and ALUMINUM was 2

From Blackstone:
STEVE: Wear looks good in the first sample from your SLK. Universal averages for the supercharged 2.3L are based on an oil run of ~6,200 miles. All wear matched up nicely and we found nothing in the data that would be cause for alarm. Fuel was found at 0.8%, which lowered the viscosity of the sample, but this isn't a problem level. We don't get too worried about fuel until it reads over 2.0%. No other harmful contaminants were found and the air and oil filters (silicon and insolubles) are working well. At 46,250 miles we have no problems to report.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back