2006 Buick CX Lacrosse 3.8l - Oil Filters

Status
Not open for further replies.
For a couple bucks more you can get an AC Delco or Wix from Rockauto. As I mentioned in your other thread, I think your oil change interval should be longer than 3000 miles you mentioned if you follow the oil life monitor. While the entry level fram may do the job, the wix or ac delco are much better built in my opinion and are better suited for a longer interval.

The Fram jobber filters are fine - I wouldn't buy more than 2 or 3 in case something happens to the car and you no longer have it. RA can be expensive to just ship a few filters, wait until you need some other parts so you can spread your shipping.

There is no difference between the two, except the FP doesn't have the textured grip end. Otherwise, shop on price.

There's also the FPS 3387A, which is an Ultra without the textured grip end
smile.gif

Only big rule to follow: Avoid Purolator filters. The other brands seem to be fine. (Going on reputation.)

Originally Posted By: WyrTwister
How about Bosh ?

Bosch should be OK. They tend to be overpriced for what you get. The high standard is Fram Ultra, and Bosch sells for about the same or even more.
I don't think Bosch suffered from the Purolator Classic's tearing/ripping media problems, although Mann-Hummel is the parent company for both. Should be a different media used in Bosch though.

Originally Posted By: oil_film_movies
Originally Posted By: WyrTwister
How about Bosh ?

Bosch should be OK. They tend to be overpriced for what you get. The high standard is Fram Ultra, and Bosch sells for about the same or even more.
I don't think Bosch suffered from the Purolator Classic's tearing/ripping media problems, although Mann-Hummel is the parent company for both. Should be a different media used in Bosch though.

Bosch did indeed suffer from the tearing issues. The regular Bosch cans are reboxed P1's. Mann/Purolator still makes the Bosch filters even though Bosch doesn't own Purolator anymore.

The D+ did not suffer the same problems because they were made differently.

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
The D+ did not suffer the same problems because they were made differently.

That sounds right. I was thinking of the D+. Could be the Bosch D+ does have better media (thicker possibly).
They say the Bosch Premium use FILTECH media, but maybe thats really the same media used in Purolator PureOnes.
I just think we should steer clear of anything with a Purolator-related pedigree.

Originally Posted By: oil_film_movies
I just think we should steer clear of anything with a Purolator-related pedigree.

01.gif

Originally Posted By: bigt61
The Fram jobber filters are fine - I wouldn't buy more than 2 or 3 in case something happens to the car and you no longer have it. RA can be expensive to just ship a few filters, wait until you need some other parts so you can spread your shipping.

Good point !
Thanks ! :)

One reason to buy several was to spread out the shipping .

God bless
Wyr

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back