Product to protect stainless header pipe?

Status
Not open for further replies.
On my bike I have stainless header pipes. Probably not the best stainless out there, the road debris seems to really stick and discolor them I don't want to end up with that pitted look from the debris sitting too long.
Is there a product that I can put on to repel debris after I scrub them clean?

Last edited by a moderator:
Ive been impressed with Sheila Shine, which Trav recommended for another application to me. Its real use is Stainless Steel.

Id suspect most any product would burn off in the use you state, so a powder coat, chrome, or high temperature paint might be necessary, but that wouldn't necessarily give you the look you like.

Id be looking for something to "season" the pipes, similar to cast iron. Not sure of the feasibility of this on SS.

Try Autosol. I find the shine lasts longer than other metal polishes, and it leaves a protective coating, but on headers it may just burn off.

Not sure there's a real solution other than shining them up a lot.

I may need to scrub them often, I dont really want to paint them, I like the stainless look, but it does get dirty. Most products that will keep the original look of the ateel Probably will burn off And most likely leave residue to scrub. I'll keep looking around if I find something that works I'll let you guys know.

When I had my XS850G I typically used chrome polish on my headers. They were the factory unit, and I have no idea what alloy but it wasn't chrome. Shined up real well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back