Is Walmart getting rid of Fram TG?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Been in the a couple WMs in the last week and TGs still seemed to have the same shelf space as before. Didn't pay huge attention to pricing though.

With the WM closeout of the Bosch D+ and Fram HM, M1 has now grabbed a significant shelf space presence. As largest retailer I'd think, safe say imo closeout is a sign of the end of both the former mentioned filters.

And while they are on the very bottom shelf, Super Tech filters do have a good representation and based on dates of manufacture they seem to move quite well, 3614 and 9688 being good examples.

Have to pay attention next time for any change in TG pricing.

Originally Posted By: Sayjac
Been in the a couple WMs in the last week and TGs still seemed to have the same shelf space as before. Didn't pay huge attention to pricing though.

Same here - Still the Same exact shelf space and pricing at the ones nearest me.

Most TG run in the $5 range, some weird examples getting near $10

Fram HM filters are down to $1.00 in some models - I don't care about the goo inside the basket, I've got some older vehicles that ANY filter will do, and they can have these.

My local one has stopped restocking them, at least the 3600 size. I haven't seen a markdown yet but it makes sense now that you bring it up. I wonder what'd they replace it with? As M1 filters are competing against the Ultra.

Ys2B006.jpg

Makes me wonder if Fram might be phasing out production of the Tough Guard oil filters.

Motorking has posted a few times that the orange cans will soon have silicone ADBV's. Perhaps this is linked to that change?

There may be the least Fram sales traffic in TG relative to PH and XG Fram oil filters. The Ultra XG series probably took away a number of former TG customers.

Maybe the TG is going the way of midgrade gasoline, where some retailers won't have it available as an option as first, followed by many retailers not having it available, to perhaps no retailers having it available?

I definitely would have noticed those clearance tags had they been up for the TGs at WMs here. Perhaps just hasn't gotten here yet. 'If' true, including the HM that will make two fram filter varieties removed from WM shelves in the last six months or so.

I'm wondering what filter(s) if any will get the shelf space the TG occupied.

Originally Posted By: Nyogtha
Makes me wonder if Fram might be phasing out production of the Tough Guard oil filters.

Motorking has posted a few times that the orange cans will soon have silicone ADBV's. Perhaps this is linked to that change?

There may be the least Fram sales traffic in TG relative to PH and XG Fram oil filters. The Ultra XG series probably took away a number of former TG customers.

Maybe the TG is going the way of midgrade gasoline, where some retailers won't have it available as an option as first, followed by many retailers not having it available, to perhaps no retailers having it available?

I agree. But isn't there quite a bit more difference between the PH and TG besides the silicone ADBV? I think the PH would still be more entry level.

I wouldn't be surprised if Walmart goes to Wix for midlevel filters, since Wix does the Supertech ones. Not sure if they'd do the standard wix/Napa Gold or a custom deal.

Wix may eliminate the Extra Guard name now, once adding the silicone ADBV to it. Then places like Walmart will cut the price of the ''new'' Tough Guard by $1.50 or-so.

Originally Posted By: Triple_Se7en
Wix may eliminate the Extra Guard name now, once adding the silicone ADBV to it. Then places like Walmart will cut the price of the ''new'' Tough Guard by $1.50 or-so.

I assume you meant Fram and not WIX. I could very well be missing something.
smile.gif

Sad to see the TG go, but honestly, I'd have no use for one when the Extra Guard gets the silicone ADBV.

I wonder if the mileage will get pushed to 10k as well... I bet their prices will slightly increase too.

Originally Posted By: dlundblad

Sad to see the TG go, but honestly, I'd have no use for one when the Extra Guard gets the silicone ADBV.

I wonder if the mileage will get pushed to 10k as well... I bet their prices will slightly increase too.

But the media in the TG is much better than the extra guard. I don't see them changing mileage limit by just changing the ADV to silicone. It still needs a blended media for me to use it to 10,000 miles.

Originally Posted By: blupupher

But the media in the TG is much better than the extra guard. I don't see them changing mileage limit by just changing the ADV to silicone. It still needs a blended media for me to use it to 10,000 miles.

Correct - The PH is not nearly as well built inside as the TG is.

The ToughGuards at my local WM are already in the 'clearance' aisle for $4.50. I did see some TG cartridge filters back in the regular aisle that appeared to have new packaging. Not sure what's going on with that.

Originally Posted By: blupupher

The Extra Guard is blended media.

They may up the mileage on the Ultra to 20k so guessing they'll up the mileage on the Extra Guard isn't too unreasonable. Also, the main reason (IMO) for them switching from nitrile to silicone would be a longer service life. Some here claim they behave better in the winter, but I haven't experienced that yet so I can't comment.

The Extra Guard is blended media.

They may up the mileage on the Ultra to 20k so guessing they'll up the mileage on the Extra Guard isn't too unreasonable. Also, the main reason (IMO) for them switching from nitrile to silicone would be a longer service life.

The filter element inside is VERY VERY VERY different between the orange can and the Tough Guard

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back