"Cold snap" hits Australia

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cold is truly relative.... Case and point was in December of 89'. Most of the month was really cold for the eastern third of the US. Including eastern Virginia where it was the coldest December on record. Well we had a "warm up" with high temps in the mid 40s in the middle of the month. I was wearing a shirt sleeve shirt outside that day and it felt warm to me. The next morning it was 9°F with a forecast high in the mid to upper teens. Back to the cellar with temps. We actually had snow on the ground for just about the whole month of December that yr. One of the rarest weather feats I have ever seen in southeast Virginia.
So, yeah cold is very relative. In the middle of Florida in that December there was snow and ice! Southeast North Carolina had a monster snowstorm with over 15 inches of snow from Wilmington to Cape Hatteras.

Yeah, a bunch of -7s here... (19F for our friends)

however, two sheets of Fibro and a 3" airgap between them make for pretty chilly mornings.

-7c is a good temp to go for a swim where i'm from
smile.gif

No but seriously -10c is probably my ideal temperature to be outside, i just love to go for a walk and breath in the fresh air when i go visit my family in Finland around Christmas time, no matter the outside temp if it's sunny you'll see people outside going for a walk or walking their dogs, since a sunny winter day is a very rare thing, most of the time the days are short and gloomy.

Years back I went to upstate New York for family stuff. Drove 240 miles to get there. That night the temp dropped to -30 f. Next day, my van would only tick when I tried to start it. It had to warm up to 0 f , before it would start. -30f is the coldest temp I've ever been in.,,,

Originally Posted By: Shannow
Yeah, a bunch of -7s here... (19F for our friends)

however, two sheets of Fibro and a 3" airgap between them make for pretty chilly mornings.

19F is respectably cold.
Yes, we see lower temperatures here every winter, but that is still in the range of what I would consider unpleasant, especially if there's a breeze.

I much prefer say -10c where everything is nice and frozen, than slighlty above freezing, because the snow turns to rain and the snow turns to a slushy mess that is deadly to try to walk on.
The same goes for driving, although in Finland and the rest of the Nordic countries most people run studded tyres.

Originally Posted By: FordCapriDriver
I much prefer say -10c where everything is nice and frozen, than slighlty above freezing, because the snow turns to rain and the snow turns to a slushy mess that is deadly to try to walk on.
The same goes for driving, although in Finland and the rest of the Nordic countries most people run studded tyres.

I agree, it snows rarely here but when it does it's a complete watery mess. Snow is nice when is dry and compact. Kid is loving it though.

It looks like your city enjoys pretty moderate winter temperatures. I'll bet that snow is rare and is a wet and slushy mess when you see it.
Maybe the moderating effect of the Adriatic?

Here in the Balearics in Spain we have some decent moutain ranges, highest peak is 1445m ( 4741 feet ) so snow is a normal occurence every January-February, the snow up in the mountains falls as real snow that stays on the ground for maybe 7-10 days ( its isn't cold enough for it to be permanent ).
Down here in the city though when it snows ( every 4-5 years ) it falls as a wet snow that doesn't stay on the ground for more than 1-2 days.
Normal winter highs are 15-20c where i live ( 60-68F )

I wish we had some proper mountain ranges similar to the Pyrenees on the Island, it would be lovely to be able to ski here, in the middle of the Mediterranian.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
It looks like your city enjoys pretty moderate winter temperatures. I'll bet that snow is rare and is a wet and slushy mess when you see it.
Maybe the moderating effect of the Adriatic?

YOU are correct, city is located in gulf of Quarnero and it does have very moderate Mediterranean climate, however it's a hilly area and one doesn't have to move far, after 30 minutes of drive you can go from 10*c to real continental climate in Gorski Kotar with lot of dry, nice snow.

Unfortunately climate has changed, summer temps now often reach 36-7 *c what is quite frankly- unpleasant.

We had a really cold winter too. Snow stayed on the ground for almost a week. Had to empty my rain barrels because they might freeze. Got down to almost -10C a few nights. Worst winter in 15 years they say. So I feel your pain.

On the other hand compared to most of western Canada's usual -20C, occasional -40C and 5 months of snow on the ground it wasn't much.

I like the continuous cold temperatures of the Michigan winters, and the mild summers. It gets below freezing in late December and normally stays there for 2 months. So if we get snow, we shovel out, then we're living in a winter wonderland for a couple of months. I hate hot, humid weather.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ctrcbob
Right now, it is +10C (+50F) in Brisbane where my Cousin lives.
That is plenty cold in my opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back