Best way to fix rusty rocker panel on Jeep Cherokee

Status
Not open for further replies.
Amazing how rusty an XJ can get & still be driveable-I bought my replacement rear axle from a guy with one from a '97 that had the ENTIRE floor rusted out of it, no cross pieces, nothing, but the unibody still held together.

Unfortunately, I've seen that a lot up here in northern NY. Not a good way at all to fix rust damage, just holds the moisture and promotes further rusting. You are better off doing nothing than doing that!

Only permanent fix is to cut out the rusty metal and weld in new panels.

I can just hear the owners reasoning for this now:
"The Cherokee is very rusty all over,I am not going to spend good money repairing something that will be not inspectable in a year or so.I did this only so I could get it inspected.I am not a mechanic or bodyman,and I frankly don't care what it looks like.It runs,its paid for,and if you want to make fun of it go ahead....its serving me just fine AS-IS"

I have heard it a million times.

How else would you fix the problem of stones kicked up by the road wheels nailing your feet when trying to drive?

Not too many people play the banjo these days but some do whether it's got a full set of strings or not.

I've used a thin ferrocement shell (as used to build boats in New Zealand) inside an outrigger box section. Worked quite well, and got through the UK annual inspection twice IIRC.

Result!

I've seen loaves of bread used as a support to laddle the bog on.

People used to built ferrocement boats in their back yard. Out of favour these days, with half submerged containers floating around the place, they go down fast, really fast.

Yeah that's a poor way to fix a sill on a cheap. I would clean with alcohol or antisilicon whole thing and put some duck tape on it imitating plastic sideskirt. Than some matte black fender/bumper paint for finish.
If done right it will hold for a couple of years.

Just get some sheet metal from an old file cabinet, computer case, etc and pop rivet it on there. Same price for the rivits as for that can of silly foam... and it'll keep the water out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back