Are brake best brake rotors decent quality?

Status
Not open for further replies.
How good are these? If they aren't recommended is there a brand that you would recommend ?

That's O'Reillys economy brand.Many of those are in the $20 bracket.I wouldn't call that Raybestos/Centric/Delco quality.

The store brand? At one time they were made by Bosch and I used them a couple times. Pretty good.

Originally Posted By: andyd
The rotors on a 3 yr old car need changing? Is this normal? TIA

I had a vibration like warped rotors I went to replace the pads and turn the rotors and the local part store messed them up turning them so I bought a new set . Rotors can be ten minutes old if the driver rides the brakes they'll warp. They were slightly warped when I bought the car.

Originally Posted By: ram_man
780995RGS
This is the part number

Get one of these instead:
Centric 120.63080
or
Wagner BD180551E
or
EBC RK1762

along with one of these pads:
Akebono ACT1647
Bendix CFC1640K1
Wagner QC1640
EBC UD1640

Rotors don't really warp, the most common cause of vibration by far is uneven pad deposits on the rotor.

That's assuming the hub and wheel flange are actually flat and the hardware is in good condition and torqued correctly, which could cause it too.

I have come to find that anything labeled "best" usually doesn't come close.

Edit: unless it's a Korean BBQ place.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: spasm3
http://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/dodge,2014,dart,1.4l+l4+turbocharged,3306001,brake+&+wheel+hub

C-tek standard rotors are $27.97

Akebono pads for $51

https://www.amazon.com/Akebono-ACT1647-Ultra-Premium-Brake/dp/B01N8RTZMI/

The Akebono pads are cheaper on Rock Auto, even with shipping factored in
smile.gif

Also, the C-Tek rotors don't have the coating, so they will rust overnight. It's worth stepping up to the Premium rotors

Sorry, I don't know anything about "brake best." You seem to be shopping on price. I had to look it up, 3 years ago I got away with cheap front rotors for my Dakota, Raybestos Professional Grade, they had a runout guarantee and I checked up on them- they beat OEM and their own guaranteed specs. No problems yet. So, that would be my low-price recommendation.

Which brings up my favorite brake topic, unless you're checking parallelism off vehicle and runout on vehicle, you're flying blind and may ruin quality rotors, or spend too much when you could be buying cheaper rotors. Parallelism check is really easy. Just measure 8 more-or-less equidistant spots around the rotor with a common micrometer. Results should be the same all the way around.

Runout should be less then whatever the Factory Service Manual says it should be. A runout check looks like this (on my Honda, I also did do one on my Dodge):

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
Rotors don't really warp, the most common cause of vibration by far is uneven pad deposits on the rotor.

That's assuming the hub and wheel flange are actually flat and the hardware is in good condition and torqued correctly, which could cause it too.

Agreed, pad deposits can feel like a bad rotor.I have had luck with firm pressure to a slow speed(10-20 mph), letting off almost completely at low speeds.a lot of applying,letting off,applying,letting off,etc.

Whenever I take off the calipers, I scuff up the rotors with a knotted wire wheel. I use cheap dusty pads and hardly ever buy rotors.

I have used the Brake Best rotors on 2 different cars with no problems I have their drums on the back of my Ranger and they have stopped the rear brake lockup problem I was having. Never would have believed it would have fixed that. Old drums had been turned too.

I picked up some Raybestos rotors at Rockauto for around $19 each for my Corolla.

Rotors can and do warp. Bought a brand new 1998 Malibu, and the front rotors warped right at 15,000 miles. Warped again around 28,000 miles. All of it was fixed under warranty. Third set lasted until the car was totaled at about 95,000 miles. GM had quality control problems in their rotor supply, and they claimed they just kept changing them to weed out the bad rotors.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back