Never thought I'd be glad to find a coolant leak..

Status
Not open for further replies.
My sister's Cruze started to loose coolant. I couldn't find external leak. I was trying to figure out how to put a new head gasket on, with these variable cam engines it seems like a real peach. Just for kicks I got one of the loaner tools from Advance and pressure tested the system. Found the coolant return line from the turbo leaking. It's going to be a headache, but my god I was glad to see that external leak as opposed to head gasket. I think that when the engine was running the sufaces were so hot that the stuff just burned off. Score one for basket troubleshooting.

I found my pressure tester to be worth its weight in gold. The last thing I would ever do is start tearing an engine apart that was leaking coolant w/o first locating it with the pressure tester like you did. Smart move!

Originally Posted By: CapitalTruck
Score one for basket troubleshooting.
Always step one.

I don't know what year your sister's Cruze is but the early Cruzen were notorious coolant leakers. If you look at Cruzetalk.com you'll find there are several areas where coolant can be leaking from (water pump, heater core, surge tank, coolant line from the turbo, head gasket etc...) I hope your prognosis is correct.
I traded in a great running 2011 Cruze because I couldn't take the ODOR of leaking coolant that the dealer was indifferent about....

Yes, I wish my rav4 had an external leak. Better than a head gasket leak.

Good luck with the repair.

It doesn't matter that I have no idea what "basket troubleshooting" means but I'm happy you apparently found the leak.

Hate to say this but it's posts like pbm's which reinforce my decision to avoid GM cars forever. He's going to "trade in" a car which likely will make a dealer (a GM dealer?) even more profit.

Shameless to non-existant production QC.

That car is way too new age-wise for a coolant leak.
smirk.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back