Had some trees dropped on the property.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ls1mike

$50 Site Donor 2024
Oh yeah just drop them right there. Clean up should be easy.
If you need me this summer I will be right here....

I just did eight smaller trees and it sucked.
Yours is worse. I hate the sap- nasty. Good luck with that mess.

I did 2 smaller spruce trees last year. About 10" trunk diameter. A lot of side branches... But Norway Spruce burns good when green. Probably better than when dried out.

Get yourself a good quality chainsaw and go to town on it. As far as having it all removed, that seems like a pricey affair. I dealt with trees 5+ years ago however they were a lot smaller/thinner than those!

Have you done this work before? Becareful. you have to watch the tension limbs and what you cut. This can be dangerous if you have not done this before ( and even if you have).

Might be worth it to get some estimates for chipping the branches, they are worst with the sharp pine needles and the mess particularly when they dry out.

I'd limb the branches, drag them to the side of the road and have them chipped. Deal with the big stuff when you can.

With the past ran here in S California the ground got real soggy and we had 2 60' pine trees just fall over. At least I know what I'll be ding in the back yard for the foreseeable future.

I looked at buying a chipper but it looks like renting is the way to go. There are a lot of pretty thick branches. In a few months I expect to be an expert on removing vary tall pine trees or dead.

You need to put a small post pounded in the ground half way in the area you want the tree to drop. When you drop the tree the goal is to pound the post the rest of the way in the ground.

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
With the past ran here in S California the ground got real soggy and we had 2 60' pine trees just fall over. At least I know what I'll be ding in the back yard for the foreseeable future.

I looked at buying a chipper but it looks like renting is the way to go. There are a lot of pretty thick branches. In a few months I expect to be an expert on removing vary tall pine trees or dead.

Hahahah. I was thinking expert on removing these things is something I don't want to be.
smile.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: spasm3
Have you done this work before? Becareful. you have to watch the tension limbs and what you cut. This can be dangerous if you have not done this before ( and even if you have).

I have noticed a few like that already. Just taking my time. No rush. I have two saws that work pretty good.

Got to watch your footing, especially pic 2. I might trim all the fee limbs and pull that out the the truck for finishing.

Originally Posted By: spasm3
Got to watch your footing, especially pic 2. I might trim all the fee limbs and pull that out the the truck for finishing.

That is what I am doing. Sure didn't look like that much tree when they were standing....LOL

Originally Posted By: IndyIan
A 70cc+ pro saw makes dicing up soft wood a pleasure! How big are the butts? 30"? They look pretty healthy.

Making progress. LOL

Originally Posted By: SHOZ
I did 2 smaller spruce trees last year. About 10" trunk diameter. A lot of side branches... But Norway Spruce burns good when green. Probably better than when dried out.

The moisture content of those trees is quite high (70% range) and it will require quite a bit of the heat energy created just to evaporate that water...and then there is the issue of creosote build-up in the chimney.

Most folks will suggest it is better to "season" firewood about 4-6 months until it has about a 20% moisture content.

Last edited:
Your property sure looked alot better with those trees standing.

BTW, the trees were not 'dropped', they were "felled".
smirk.gif

Sharpen that chain frequently and don't wait til its dull.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ArcticDriver
Your property sure looked alot better with those trees standing.

BTW, the trees were not 'dropped', they were "felled".
smirk.gif

Sharpen that chain frequently and don't wait til its dull.

Sure did, but you can fix the trailer when a branch falls on it(happened already), come clean my gutters, or worry about the big one falling on the garage in 70 MPH winds.

I am a closet tree hugger. Hated to see them go, but had to do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back