Toughest Performance Based Certs for oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
What oil certs are the toughest performance wise, I havent found a lot of details on many. Currently the only ones I can think of are A3/B3 and Porsche A40. Anybody have the specs on those for testing as well as other tough performance based oil testing? I don't care too much about fuel economy based test.

Last edited:
A3B4 is tougher than A3B3. A40 is probably the best petrol spec an oil can attain.
The ACEA E sequences are very tough to pass but have different parameters.

Originally Posted By: 4WD
So this would have to be two decimal places:

Correct 229.5 is a regular full saps oil.

.51 is harder to find
.52 is like finding hens teeth

You can find .52 on the web, and on a list from MB, but finding it on a shelf is rare.

UD

Last edited:
ESP did, thats about the easiest find and what I run,

but its almost never on shelves and Im stuck with the "tyranny of one oil" for 2 vehicles.

there are a few big name guys that make it - its just never off a shelf in So cal.

UD

What would be the wear protection out of 10 be for A40.
Can we compare it directly to ht06, dexos, gm 4718m a3b3 numbers ?

Last edited:
Wow thanks.
So in picture below the ford has better wear slightly than a3b3 ? I am reading that right.

?

merconvvv,

In theory yes. In practice the A3/B3 and A3/B4 oils will also carry some other specs (for example, A40, MB 229.5) which are hard to beat in terms of wear protection.

You need to remember that ACEA specs are not enforced, meaning that ACEA does not issue control checks on sold products in Europe or NA, and since there are no checks, I would rather buy an A3 oil with some other manufacture specification combined. For example, in order to carry MB 229.x spec the oil needs to be tested by Daimler.

Originally Posted By: merconvvv
Wow thanks.
So in picture below the ford has better wear slightly than a3b3 ? I am reading that right.
?

Two things:

1) You are comparing A3/B3-12, which is the old spec. It has been superseded by A3/B3-16 (last digits being the year of implementation).

2) Lubrizol states that the app you are using is designed to compare standards in the same sequence (e.g. ACEA A1/B1 to A3/B3, etc), and the proportionality is not constant with overlaying different certification schemes. It is a caveat in the fine print on that web page. So those comparisons may hold no validity.

Thanks all.

Thats what i was wondering. If a score of 8 on wear for dexos and a score of 8 for a3b3 imply roughly equal wear protection.

My interest was in numbers on gm 4718m which 10w30s carry. I did not see that on the web site. I wanted to compare it to dexos.

Was there ever or is there a spec that requires 10 out of 10 on wear ?

SAE 30 HD
laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: Oro_O
Originally Posted By: merconvvv
Wow thanks.
?

Two things:

1) You are comparing A3/B3-12, which is the old spec. It has been superseded by A3/B3-16 (last digits being the year of implementation).

2) Lubrizol states that the app you are using is designed to compare standards in the same sequence (e.g. ACEA A1/B1 to A3/B3, etc), and the proportionality is not constant with overlaying different certification schemes. It is a caveat in the fine print on that web page. So those comparisons may hold no validity.

Is there any major difference between A3/B3-12 and A3/B3-16?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back