Diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back in March I was having trouble seeing at distances even with my contacts. Plus going to the rest room a lot and really thirsty.Also was dropping weight and not on purpose. I knew something was going on. I called my doc and he did a A1C test. Came back at 13.9 and 338 blood sugar.
He put me on Metformin 500mg twice a day.

Since then I have cut all soda my main downfall. junk food as well. Started walking everyday.
The chiropractor is doing acupuncture to help rebalance my body.

Eating high protein, low carb. In addition to cinnamon supplements.Staying away from artificial sweeteners.
I am down to 215 pounds, was 250. I'm 6'3". My latest testing at home the past 2 weeks is 77-123 blood glucose!
I informed the doc and he reduced the Metformin to once a day. Goal is zero meds.

I feel so much better!
Still learning what food does what to me. Sugar is every where in out food. Good grief.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: AirgunSavant
Good for you. With a A1C that high you were headed directly to the grave!

It scared me! The eye doc mentioned he has a patient whose blood sugar was over 800. How the guy was still conscience I do not know.

He took pix behind my eyes and all is healthy and normal. He showed me what can happen if left unchecked.

Last edited:
Be thankful you have type 2 diabetes. My wife has type 1 diabetes. Her A1C is usually in the low 6's. She is 5'8" @ 121.

I am happy for you. Your experience is so typical of the millions upon millions of people in this country who have chosen to ignore their health. As a result trillions will be wasted on paying for those needless bills.

Not slamming you..hopefully you understand that you were wrong and have and will continue striving for a better life. Again good luck to you!!!
Hopefully you will do a service to even one person on here. Sadly it will not me more than one (at most) People don't learn til their health is in the [apper.
frown.gif

Last edited:
Good for you Chief! Soda and sugary drinks are the worst. Never drank them in excess, but loved them. On the rare occasion I drink them today, I have to water them down with ice/water.

My sugar is at 123 and I'm taking steps now to control it better.

Glad you're on top of this and lost weight and improved your diet.

I'M type 2 also.....I walk 20 to 40 min a day.....it will do wonders !

Unless it's a brisk walk of 20 min-only, you aren't really doing much good there,. unless you were a 100% couch potato prior. I walk at increased speed twice a day for 45 min to one hour. One in the morning - one in the evening. I usually average 5 miles walk per day.

I cut out all junk food in late February. No cake, candy, cookie, chips, soda, ice cream or pie...... n-e-v-e-r. Dropped 35lbs so far and another 17lbs to lose. I am 6'1" and was 237 lbs. Striving to be 185lbs again. Currently weigh 205lbs.

I did not wait until my doctor told me I'm a diabetic now. I did something about it prior. Unfortunately you waited too long to diet. Your doctor should have mentioned you were borderline diabetic at your last physical.

If you haven;t been doing yearly physicals, then you are to blame for that also.

You can calculate your BMI (Body Mass Index). BMI = (Your Weight in Pounds X 705)/(Your height in inches squared)

A BMI of 25 or above is over weight, a BMI of 18.4 or less is too light.

So you want your BMI to be between 24.9 to 18.5 and the middle of that range is a BMI of 21.7

Chiefsfan1, at 215 Lbs, and 6'3" your current BMI is 26.95 that is still over weight.

At 6'3" to get a BMI of 24.9 you would have to get down to 198.5 Lbs

And at 6'3" an ideal BMI (middle of the good MBI range of 21.7) would be a weight of 173 Lbs.

Originally Posted By: JimPghPA
You can calculate your BMI (Body Mass Index). BMI = (Your Weight in Pounds X 705)/(Your height in inches squared)

So you want your BMI to be between 24.9 to 18.5 and the middle of that range is a BMI of 21.7

BMI calculations don't work for larger framed people, athletes, or tall people. According to this formula I am obese at 6'4" and 265, and I should weigh under 200#. Under 245 I am cut and under about 220 I start looking like a scarecrow.

OP, glad you found out and are taking steps. It really IS amazing how much sugar is poured into our foods here in the US. This is 100% controllable by you.

I know 2 people that were diagnosed with Type II; one takes great care of themselves, dropped from 260 to 185 and is managing the diabetes and feels great most of the time. The other did NOT take care of themselves, kept snacking and eating cookies and candy and ice cream; they went from 225 to over 400 pounds at one point, feet went numb and got nerve damage, had to go to hospital by ambulance 3 times and seem to not want to take action on their own behalf, expecting doctors to give them a magic pill.

Choice is yours and I know you have made the right one.

Originally Posted By: Kuato
Originally Posted By: JimPghPA

BMI calculations don't work for larger framed people, athletes, or tall people. According to this formula I am obese at 6'4" and 265, and I should weigh under 200#. Under 245 I am cut and under about 220 I start looking like a scarecrow.

OP, glad you found out and are taking steps. It really IS amazing how much sugar is poured into our foods here in the US. This is 100% controllable by you.

I know 2 people that were diagnosed with Type II; one takes great care of themselves, dropped from 260 to 185 and is managing the diabetes and feels great most of the time. The other did NOT take care of themselves, kept snacking and eating cookies and candy and ice cream; they went from 225 to over 400 pounds at one point, feet went numb and got nerve damage, had to go to hospital by ambulance 3 times and seem to not want to take action on their own behalf, expecting doctors to give them a magic pill.

Choice is yours and I know you have made the right one.

The BMI calculation formula does work for tall people.

At 6'4" to get down to a BMI of 24.9 you should weigh 204 Lbs.

To calculate what weight you should be = (BMI X height in inchs squared)/705

(24.9 X 76 squared)/705 = 204

BMI to me is about worthless.
Throw in some natural 24" rock hard pythons and a 60" chest and rock hard quads and at 6'4" you should be 200 pounds- what a joke
smile.gif
Two legs weigh 150. Not to mention a large head instead of a pinhead.....( smile)
That said, whatever works for you.

I am on a low Glycemic Load Diet. I bring an Atkins brand meal to work and allow myself one carb a day. Basically I eat all the meat, fruit and veg I want but avoid all carb and sugar. No fruit juice but fruit. Goal is to not eat anything that causes a spike in insulin level as that causes body to store fat.

Routine blood test this coming week.

Originally Posted By: AirgunSavant
BMI to me is about worthless.
Throw in some natural 24" rock hard pythons and a 60" chest and rock hard quads and at 6'4" you should be 200 pounds- what a joke
smile.gif
Two legs weigh 150. Not to mention a large head instead of a pinhead.....( smile)
That said, whatever works for you.

Yep. Body builders are considered morbidly obese by the BMI. Never mind that muscle weighs much more than fat does.
the BMI was the idea of a math guy. NOT a doctor.
http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/255712.php

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Donald
OP - before you went to the doctor why were you dropping weight without trying as you stated.

Do you have belly fat?

yes, I noticed my pants were getting baggy for no reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back