Royal Purple 5w-20 High Performance Motor Oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is RP too slippery?
I have read that RP has made some changes to their oil recipe and some folks are experiencing oil usage.

I have been using RP for many years and have noticed oil usage of about a 1/2 quart ever 2k miles.

A friend of mine owns a hot rod shop and owns a late model Mustang, he said he had to quit using RP because it was too slippery
and was getting past the rings on the piston. He doesn't sell or use RP any more and has switched over to Amsoil.

Just asking if other folks out there that may be experiencing oil usage when using RP.

This is not a slam on RP.

Thanks
John

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
I don't know about "too slippery," but my S2000 consumed Royal Purple - not Mobil 1 or Castrol.

Thanks for the reply.
smile.gif

Ring sealing is just a simple function of viscosity. Assuming a mechanically sound engine of course.
"Slippery" implies friction characteristics, which would have zero effect on ring sealing.
Could be extra volatile basestocks are increasing oil consumption, or the particular blend of light vs. heavy basestock oil RP chose to blend.

Originally Posted By: oil_film_movies
Ring sealing is just a simple function of viscosity. Assuming a mechanically sound engine of course.
"Slippery" implies friction characteristics, which would have zero effect on ring sealing.
Could be extra volatile basestocks are increasing oil consumption, or the particular blend of light vs. heavy basestock oil RP chose to blend.

My thought also; many engines show consumption with 20 grade oils, and often fix the issue with a 30 grade.

I never experienced anything out of the norm with Royal Purple. I used their 0W-20 in my old Scion tC and it consumed no more than Mobil 1 0W-20 did in the same car. I've also used their 5W-20 HPS in my girlfriend's old Civic and it didn't consume anything in that car. I used it in her Celica and it did consume a bit, but I assume that's because we went from using a 5W-30 that consumed nothing to a 5W-20. It went back to normal after going back to 5W-30.

My old Audi A6 was consuming oil at a rate of 1 quart every 3000 miles. I tried Castrol, Mobil 1 and Redline synthetic oil of the same weight(5w30) and they all consumed at the same rate. If you google Royal Purple oil consumption you'd be hard pressed to find many hits. If Royal Purple had consumption issues you'd see tons of people complaining on the internet.

In my previous 7 vehicles, once I tried Royal Purple - the consumption went up. Usually just doubled over normal consumption. Only Royal Purple HMX 5w30 actually stopped oil consumption in one engine, that recommended 5w30 on the oil cap. My current vehicle haven't tried Royal Purple yet, but something (possibly previous experiences in the past 5 years) tells me that it will increase oil consumption, even though currently I have zero oil consumption.

Originally Posted By: deven
My old Audi A6 was consuming oil at a rate of 1 quart every 3000 miles. I tried Castrol, Mobil 1 and Redline synthetic oil of the same weight(5w30) and they all consumed at the same rate. If you google Royal Purple oil consumption you'd be hard pressed to find many hits. If Royal Purple had consumption issues you'd see tons of people complaining on the internet.

When I used RP 0w-40 in my Audi, it had no measurable consumption over the OCI. Now, with M1 5w-30, that was another matter altogether.
wink.gif
Pennzoil 10w-30, it didn't drink it, either. It was picky, I guess.

Thanks for all the comments.

Maybe a little information may help

I have a 2005 Mustang GT. 300rwhp and 305 lbs. torque at the wheels. Naturally aspirated.
I have an oil separator between the PCV and the intake. The separator usually, when drained about every 2 months, has about 2 to 3 oz. of oil in it.

When I purchased the car it had 2200 miles on it. I first began using Mobile 1 and then later switched to RP 5w-20. Have been using RP for about 10 years.

Would it really disturb anything to use RP 10w 30 to top off when needed to see if this stops the oil usage.

Thanks

John

Last edited:
I have a 2014 Mustang GT and also had a 2011. I also use a JLT Catch Can or Oil Separator connected to the PCV. I would probably buy an extra quart of RP as opposed to changing oil weight. Or try a few more brands/formulas. I'd be worried about perhaps less oil flow and spray in the engine. I've been using Pennzoil Ultra Platinum, and it has about the same amount of blow by you described. I found some Mobile 1 Extended Performance for a good price, and will be using that next OC.

I'll send the Pennzoil for an UOA, then the MB1. We'll see if and how much difference they are from another. Although that may be a year from now, lol.

I think the bottom line is 5w20 has more blowby than 5w30, but whether or not a 5w30 is doing as good a job protecting your engine, only an UOA can prove. If I did go with a heavier weighted oil I'd definitely have a UOA performed at the end of the OCI. Good luck.

I work with a ton of Mustang shops and tuners... Stepping up to a 5w30 seems to fix a lot of oil related issues in the 4.6L and 5.0L pony cars that recommend a 5w20. Your 4.6L is not much different (or the exact same) when compared to it's 96-2004 counterparts, many of which used a 5w30 as the recommended oil from Ford.

It seems to me at least that asking an energy conserving low HTHS 5w20 product in an kind of old-school-modular American V8 making some decent power is a tall order. Especially for reasons I already stated.

Last edited:
One of the conclusions from my 5w20 Ultra Platinum UOA was the oil tested (about 7.5k miles) was found to be 5w30 viscosity. I figure the evaporated bloby oil collected was a major contributor to the thickening.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back