Useful UOAs

Status
Not open for further replies.
I suppose this really speaks to the demographic of individuals posting UOAs on BITOG. Seems to me the majority of posts are of users that dumped the factory fill at 1,000 miles, use some type of unusual oil (Euro spec, Amsoil, etc.), or have a vehicle that is used for drag racing or other high performance application.

Where are the used oil analysis of the 2012 Honda and running 7,000k miles on PYB? Something interesting that provides useful data. In the rare ocassion this actually happens, you better believe TBN was skipped.

Last edited:
That's a pretty bold post. Tons and tons of UOA here on off the shelf oils at reasonable every day intervals. I've posted a UOA @ 7,000 on a Toyota V-6 on the vanilla Valvoline Syn Power a 9,000+ on M1, 10,333 on PUP with particle count and TBN/TAN. A Toyota pickup at 5,000 on ST Synthetic, posted nearly every UOA over 6 years for my 4Runner. Other members have posted up to 10,000 runs on MS5k if conventional is your thing.

You're on an oil enthusiast site, it should be expected to find some analysis of boutique oils or oils outside of the norm, but a great many are of every day vanilla oils obtained from the shelves of a local Walmart.

Stay tuned a few more weeks and I'll be posting a ~5,600 mile run on PYB SAE 30 from my Lexus. It too will include TBN.

Search through the UOA's here. I have three on my 300ZX. 20W50 SJ rated Royal purple,10W40 Mobil 1 High Mileage,and a recent one with 20W50 Castrol GTX. Car is my daily driver. A synthetic boutique,a synthetic high mileage,and a dino. Three completely different oils in three similar everyday driving environments.

I agree that UOAs without TBN are disappointing.

But remember, the most useful UOA by far is your own.

Originally Posted By: CharlieBauer

But remember, the most useful UOA by far is your own.

01.gif

Originally Posted By: TheOilWizard
I suppose this really speaks to the demographic of individuals posting UOAs on BITOG. Seems to me the majority of posts are of users that dumped the factory fill at 1,000 miles, use some type of unusual oil (Euro spec, Amsoil, etc.), or have a vehicle that is used for drag racing or other high performance application.

Where are the used oil analysis of the 2012 Honda and running 7,000k miles on PYB? Something interesting that provides useful data. In the rare ocassion this actually happens, you better believe TBN was skipped.

The reason TBN is skipped is because people use Blackstone which is expensive to start and even more expensive if you want TBN.

NAPA is $16 and gives TBN. Polaris or OAI includes TBN and oxidation/nitration.

I typically get a UOA for a reason more than getting a UOA to post.

Originally Posted By: FlyNavyP3

Stay tuned a few more weeks and I'll be posting a ~5,600 mile run on PYB SAE 30 from my Lexus. It too will include TBN.

No, don't dump it yet! It's still got lots of life left in it!
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: CharlieBauer

When they are.... Most of the time, I see TBN's that are still quite high.

We really do change oil far too often.

As some recent UOAs from a Taxi Fleet showed, TBN can still be "too high" (ie 3-4) and be all done (ie viscosity rising and TAN passes TBN).

Taxi UOA's

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back