Ad delco advantage brake pads

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am wanting a concensous on the quality of the advantage line of parts. For $31 you can buy front pads that are ceramic with hardware included. Or you can spend $75 at autozone and they're still semi metallic and do not come with hardware. My manager of course says ac delco advantage is in no way comparable to the duralast quality. What do you guys honestly think? I know some of autozone parts are made by quality companies but I'd imagine ac delco is as well.

Advantage line is worthless scrap but so is the AZ AA, etc stuff for the most part unless you buy their top of the line. You get what you pay for and brake pads is one part its best not to try and save money.

I don't think you will notice a difference between most brands of brake pad on a economy car anyways.

This time I used bosch stuff on my wife's car, I never notice a difference in performance from that versus any other brand.

I typically buy what rockauto has on sale, that sounds like a non junky brand and that has been ok so far.

Originally Posted By: JustinH
I don't think you will notice a difference between most brands of brake pad on a economy car anyways.

Oh you will believe me. Put a set of really good pads on and the difference in stopping power is considerable. I just changed elcheapo pads and rotors on a Golf with Zimmerman rotors and ATE pads and its night and day, one is like a marshmallow and the other a boat anchor.

Originally Posted By: Trav

Oh you will believe me. Put a set of really good pads on and the difference in stopping power is considerable. I just changed elcheapo pads and rotors on a Golf with Zimmerman rotors and ATE pads and its night and day, one is like a marshmallow and the other a boat anchor.

Agreed. If the OP is on a budget, and if he will listen, he should consider Mopar Value Line pads at a minimum.

Akebono ProACT, Wagner Thermoquiet, or EBC Ultimax/Blackstuff. If it's for a truck or SUV, you might be able to get Wagner OEX pads.

I'm not really a fan of "economy" brake pads. ACDelco (Dis)Advantage and Mopar Value Line included. Cheap no-good junk just to say you put (Mopar/Delco) on.

AC delco brake pads (Advantage and Pro line) are made by Raybestos. So cross shop those to each other.

For advance and AZ skip the black and silver lines. The Gold and Platinum are good though.

This time I used bosch stuff on my wife's car, I never notice a difference in performance from that versus any other brand.

I typically buy what rockauto has on sale, that sounds like a non junky brand and that has been ok so far.

If you do notice a difference, it probably won't matter in practice. The tyres stop the car, not the brakes. Pretty much any functional braking system can lock the wheels up on an emergency stop, which is more braking than you can use.

Originally Posted By: Trav
Advantage line is worthless scrap but so is the AZ AA, etc stuff for the most part unless you buy their top of the line. You get what you pay for and brake pads is one part its best not to try and save money.
advantage is just acdelcos line to compete with other parts houses "value" read that as low end [censored], lines. You want good acdelco pads get durastop or if they have it like for instance on a crown vic their performance line is excellent. Dont skimp on what stops you.

W
Originally Posted By: Ducked

If you do notice a difference, it probably won't matter in practice. The tyres stop the car, not the brakes. Pretty much any functional braking system can lock the wheels up on an emergency stop, which is more braking than you can use.
brakes stop the car, tires maintain friction With the road to effect that stop. That is why i dont skimp on either.

Last edited:
I agree you may not notice a difference. If you plan on keeping the vehicle a while, go with the Duralast gold pads. I'm assuming AZ still has a lifetime warranty. I have them on my '04 Trailblazer EXT. It's a fairly heavy vehicle and I've never had hard stopping issues. I'm on my third set I believe. Walk into AZ with the old pads, walk out with new ones without any hassles.

Also agree about having quality tires. The Michelin LTX tires is a good combo for my set-up.

Originally Posted By: ram_man
I am wanting a concensous on the quality of the advantage line of parts. For $31 you can buy front pads that are ceramic with hardware included. Or you can spend $75 at autozone and they're still semi metallic and do not come with hardware. My manager of course says ac delco advantage is in no way comparable to the duralast quality. What do you guys honestly think? I know some of autozone parts are made by quality companies but I'd imagine ac delco is as well.

Semi-metallic is an older/cheaper technology that's easier to get right at low price points. Ceramic, just the opposite. I don't recommend either per se, other than avoiding cheap Ceramic. I recommend getting the OEM fitment, that is, if it came with one type of pad, use that type of pad.

You don't mention which one of the 3 vehicles (or another) this is for, otherwise you might get some specific recommendations.

As for "I don't think you will notice a difference..." even my wife notices new pads on her vehicle. Simple reason, the pedal is higher and firmer. Part of that is a good brake bleed, part thicker pads replacing thinner ones. Other noticeable things are grabbiness, dust, and noise. For that, getting specific experiences helps... but then you'd have to tell us which vehicle you're putting them on.

As for noticing performance, that comment is true if you don't heat up your brakes in successive stops on a hot day. Most people, heck, most BITOGer's won't notice the performance difference between cheap and great pads unless tracked, or heading down Mount Washington in an overloaded van. That's when the superior non-fading, heat handling performance of better pads come out.

Originally Posted By: ram_man

I just bought pads for a 3500 series service van that weighs 9000 pounds. AAP Gold series are excellent quality, long lasting, and very smooth and powerful under your foot no matter the conditions.

Plus they are extremely economical as well...

I put AC Delco Advantage Ceramics on the front of my vehicle and noticed a big difference. This was with original rotors that had 175k miles. The vehicle now has 260k miles and still brakes well. I'd recommend them.

Though semi-metallic may be less expensive than ceramic in most cases, they both have advantages and disadvantages. You should really match your pad material to your needs/demands. Ceramic and metallic have very different heat dissipation properties for one thing. For most of my demands, I actually prefer a high quality semi-metallic material.

I've tried the house brands at AZ, AA and O's; never had much luck. Napa's house brand premium and ultra-premium have been the exception. I generally order all my pads from RA due to price and choices. You will greatly improve your pad quality my moving up 10 - 20 bucks from the economy line of pads in any brand.

I agree with Superflop in that you should get the best quality you can afford when it comes to tires and brakes; I would also add struts and shocks to that statement because they all work together to keep the rubber in contact with the road.

I just did a brake job on an LS2 equipped WM Caprice yesterday. The ACDelco Advantage line of pads for this application, supposedly ceramic, was made in India. A quick visual proved nothing out of the ordinary, they appeared to be more of a semi-metallic pad to me than a ceramic, but other than that it was just your average run of the mill brake pad with an FF edge code. The ACDelco rotors were basically your standard Chinese rotors. Nothing to write home about either.

Being an Australian car, we ended up going with a set of DBA HD Series rotors and SP500 pads. Brakes certainly make a difference, and this is one area where you definitely get what you pay for. If I'm going with manufacturer pads, I often skip the likes of their offerings made to compete with the aftermarket, such as ACDelco Advantage or regular Motorcrafts (not counting their Super Duty series) and go straight for the brown box OE stuff that doesn't come in fancy packaging. That way, you're pretty much getting whatever was put on the car on the assembly line or something really close to it.

Originally Posted By: Superflop
W
Originally Posted By: Ducked

brakes stop the car, tires maintain friction With the road to effect that stop. That is why i dont skimp on either.

I skimp on both, (so I can drag you down to my level and beat you with experience
smile.gif

Its likely that the old tyres do compromise handling and braking performance somewhat.

Its actually impossible that the stock brakes do so, since they can lock up the wheels in an emergency stop.

If I did several successive emergency stops they'd likely be compromised by heat before performance brakes would be, but even in Taiwan I don't find it necessary to do that, so the only effect of "better" brakes would be psychological.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back