Genuine Nissan 5w30 for '17 Versa and '11 Quest

Status
Not open for further replies.
Very long time lurker but very first post.

I'm looking for opinions on this oil, Nissan 5w30 which is labeled as being an Exxon-Mobil product.

My OCI's are at 5k miles with the Quest at 173k miles and my Versa hardly driven at 1300 miles after 8 months of ownership.

Also using the same OEM oil filter on both as well.

Thoughts?

Troy
Knoxville

I pick it up off of eBay for $29.99.

5 quarts of oil and the Nissan OEM filter and a crush washer including shipping. It says it's an Exxon-Mobil product but I am sure it is not synthetic.

Maybe Mobil 5000 in a plainer wrapped?

Yeah, you are way over paying for OEM branded oil. Any SN rated 5W-30 is going to do you well.

Actually $29 with 5 qts and filter is not super bad in reality. But I agree with the guys here on this... Valvoline Maxlife full synthetic and a Fram Tough Guard will run you about $30 as well. A Dexos approved oil, ACEA A5 approval as well and it will run very good in your Nissan Quest. That's what I got in my Nissan Altima 3.5 coupe right now.

Or you could run Castrol Magnatec, Pennzoil Platinum, Pennzoil Gold, Mobil 1, Quaker State Ultimate Durability as well.

Last edited:
Sounds like a great plan to me. I was under the impression that Nissan OEM is basically Mobil 5000. Either way, it's fine oil for 5k. As others have stated, don't pay EXTRA for OEM oil as its nothing special.

Troy, welcome! Glad to see another 2011+ Quest owner. Pretty scarce find LOL. I've got a 2016. At Nissan's 5K OCI recommendation, any 5w30 and filter combo would do. My 2016 recommends 0w20, but says 5w30 can be used for sever service. I just change oil on mine yesterday with 5qts of Napa full synthetic 0w20 and a Supertech filter. Tax and all, that's about a $20 oil change.

How about your CVT trans? Have you done any drain/fills on it?

We picked up out '11 Quest six months ago with 167k on it. It was a single owner with a clean CarFax and the Nissan dealer had replaced the CVT on it and it had a one-year factory warranty on the trans.

The van was immaculate inside and out and apparently the miles were all highway and it even smelled new inside. We plan on keeping it till at least 250k and will then probably do another one after.

As for the Versa. It sits in the garage accumulating about 150 miles a month thanks to my company car.

Troy
Knoxville

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back