OEM gasket and seals or aftermarket?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Goodnight, my valve cover gasket needs changing as it has developed a weeping leak.
An aftermarket gasket seal would cost me $65 while an original nissan gasket is costing me $175. Is it worth paying the $110 more for the oem seal?
Engine is a QG18DE

If it is just a weep, carefully check the screws for tightness. Who makes the aftermkt gasket? If you get a new VC gasket,does it come with spark plug seals?

If Fel-Pro makes a gasket for it I'd gladly use that over a more expensive OE gasket. I've installed hundreds and hundreds of their gaskets in repair jobs over the years and several hundred more in rebuilt and race engines over the years. They make a really nice service part. Use with confidence.

Originally Posted By: andyd
If it is just a weep, carefully check the screws for tightness. Who makes the aftermkt gasket? If you get a new VC gasket,does it come with spark plug seals?

First thing to do. They shrink a bit over time from heat cycling and hardening. Sometimes re-torquing will take care of it.

If not, when you do install it, I suggest using gasket dressing. Then tighten them all finger tight before torquing in proper sequence. Then let it set overnight if you can time it, and re-torque the nex day. The gasket will take an initial set and the torque needs to be checked a few times in short order to get a good seal and make a proper repair job. And don't ignore the plug seals as already noted. If not leaking, they will before long if the main gasket is gone.

Originally Posted By: FlyNavyP3
If Fel-Pro makes a gasket for it I'd gladly use that over a more expensive OE gasket. I've installed hundreds and hundreds of their gaskets in repair jobs over the years and several hundred more in rebuilt and race engines over the years. They make a really nice service part. Use with confidence.

+1 Fel-Pro makes good stuff.

I've used FelPro for valve cover gaskets to good effect. Some things do not need OEM. This is one of them.

+ On Fel-Pro. There is a good chance you will find a OE manufacturer produced gasket (not OE branded) in the box for Asian or Euro cars.

Slacktide had the same thought

Last edited:
Fel-Pro and Victor both supply OEM manufacturing for new engine production. So is it an OE gasket in a aftermarket box or a Tier one supplier part in an OE application. Chicken or the egg I suppose.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back