Need quality replacement fuel line for mower

Status
Not open for further replies.
My GCV160's fuel lines are breaking apart inside because ethanol.

Can you recommend a quality replacement fuel line material? Something that's more chemical resistant.

Last edited:
I have heard that Tygon is one of the best materials to use for fuel line. I've used it on my motorcycle and snow blower with no issues, but no real long term use. Longest was about 3 years on my previous motorcycle, no issues with hardening or falling apart at that time period, but then the garage burned down. The fuel line did NOT survive that.

Also, I don't know how much of a concern it is in a mower, but it's a convenient time to throw in an in-line fuel filter, and they're dirt cheap.

Last edited:
+1 for Tygon.

I keep a few lengths around for when I do service on any of my OPE and find that it still has the rubber lines on it. I also agree with the fuel filter comment above. I've never thought putting one on a mower was a waste of time, they always have a bunch of garbage in them when I take them off.

I can't seem to find tygon fuel lines in 5.5mm I.D. (7/32") for Hondas.

Last edited:
I had a similar issue when replacing the fuel line on my motorcycle that wanted 7mm ID tubing. I got 1/4"ID (6.35mm) tubing and it worked fine. I did oil up the tubing a tiny bit to get it on the barbs a little more easily (I used 2-stroke oil since I had it on hand and I knew it would end up in the fuel (us bitogers are anal)).

I would bet that a 3/16" ID (4.7625mm) line would work just fine. If you're having trouble getting the line on, try warm up the tubing and/or use some oil.

This is strange. I replaced the fuel line last year on my LawnBoy mower. The dealer use to be a LawnBoy dealer and switched to other things due to the demise of the two stroke mower. They are not a Honda dealer. The fuel line they sold me is a Honda fuel line. The original fuel line lasted 14 years.
EDIT: They said Honda fuel line is the best.
http://www.comomowerservice.com

Last edited:
You can find Tygon fuel tubing online at McMasterCarr. They have a couple of different types of Tygon and a large assortment of sizes. You want the the F-4040-A for fuel.

McMasterCarr has a special agreement with UPS because they are their largest customer. Expect the shipping charges to be low, and the shipping time to be very short, like one or two days.

Last edited:
Tygon for smaller fuel line. Gates Barricade for larger fuel hose. I have switched everything that takes 1/4" ID or larger over to Gates Barricade and it is excellent.

Napa has a good selection of both Tygon and Barricade.

If Napa can't take care of you, Ebay will have everything under the sun and for a low price.

Marine fuel lines are good - some are 5/16" - a local Yamaha dealer outfits boats with Evinrude lines - swears they are the best with ethanol in marine environment.
Can find short sections on eBay ...

I just use whatever stuff the parts stores have. Never had one fail factory or aftermarket though. They dry rot after 20 years or so.

In my experience Tygon F4040-A hardens in about two years (87 octane 10% ethanol with 50:1 two stroke oil) Viton tubing is about the best for fuel lines. If you visit any auto grave yards, pull off the tubing used in the Evap systems, it makes excellent fuel lines.

Originally Posted By: Mike72
In my experience Tygon F4040-A hardens in about two years (87 octane 10% ethanol with 50:1 two stroke oil) Viton tubing is about the best for fuel lines. If you visit any auto grave yards, pull off the tubing used in the Evap systems, it makes excellent fuel lines.

Viton tubing is my recommendation as well. It's very flexible and in my opinion is more robust than tygon.

I tried out some tygon tubing one time and I wasn't that thrilled. The LP1100 has a fluropolymer liner that tends to peel when you install it on barbed fittings and the 40/40 was too stiff. The viton is a breeze to work with.

Originally Posted By: Donald
Look for braided fuel line. NAPA probably carries it. Anything sold today should withstand E10 fuel.

He asked the question 4 months ago during mowing season..hopefully he took care of it.
cheers3.gif

I've been using Silicone lines from Ali-Express they are rated for Fuel and Vacuum and they are fantastic. They don't care about Ethanol gas either. Even used it in my John Deere 2 Stroke Weed Trimmer because the other ones got hard and brittle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back