MC 5W-20 2016 F-150 2.7 Ecoboost

Status
Not open for further replies.

I purchased this truck certified used with 15K. Paperwork from dealership said they put Motorcraft 5W-20 in the truck, manual calls for 5w-30. Dealership promised it was a type-o and regardless it would not be an issue. Results confirm it was the 5w-20. Wear #'s show it didn't do any harm but do not consider this a 30wt that sheered, it was the dealers error.

Replaced the oil with Castrol Edge 5w-30, will probably go to 7500 mi and pay for the TBN next time. Was not concerned with TBN on this early change.

I tow my boat on weekends with this truck (about 3000 lb) and live in Houston. 100 Degree's is what this truck lives and breathes daily. All driving done with 87 octane and works great, no noticeable power loss with 87 octane.

If I was trying to save money I wouldnt have spent the $28 on a report.. All kidding aside, Magnatec is hard to find at wallyworld. They seem to carry all the weights except 5W-30 on the shelf and non of the new Magnatec synthetic formula.

I actually bought the edge from Homedepot, used my Military discount (10%) and paid $28 for 6 qts out the door. That includes the extra quart for $7.

Last edited:
Congrats on a nice report. Silicon seems high but engine is still new. Note that my 2013 F-150 5.0 needed a new air filter change about 22k miles. The fuel mileage went way down, that's how bad it was. You might want to check it just in case. The OE filter is very short. I replaced it with a Wix that was twice as tall so it had twice the surface area.

Originally Posted By: jmw116
If I was trying to save money I wouldnt have spent the $28 on a report.. All kidding aside, Magnatec is hard to find at wallyworld. They seem to carry all the weights except 5W-30 on the shelf and non of the new Magnatec synthetic formula.

I actually bought the edge from Homedepot, used my Military discount (10%) and paid $28 for 6 qts out the door. That includes the extra quart for $7.

I'd take Mag over about anything to be honest. Price aside.
I use all grades. Great oil. You can buy it online and at great prices shipped.

You would run the magnatec over their flagship Edge oil? Really wonder the formula difference, don't think the magnatec has the titanium in it..?

I seen it do very well in someones eco boost with 10K oil changes reliably. No other oil that people have posted in this engine have come close. Personally I will not run a semi-syn oil with the prices of syn being only a couple of bucks more.

Originally Posted By: AirgunSavant
I'd try Magnatec next time and save a few dollars.
Of course with an Ultra.. Enjoy!
Ultra oil filter?

Originally Posted By: jmw116
You would run the magnatec over their flagship Edge oil? Really wonder the formula difference, don't think the magnatec has the titanium in it..?

I seen it do very well in someones eco boost with 10K oil changes reliably. No other oil that people have posted in this engine have come close. Personally I will not run a semi-syn oil with the prices of syn being only a couple of bucks more.

5w30 is FS. now not semi!

Originally Posted By: CT8
Originally Posted By: AirgunSavant
I'd try Magnatec next time and save a few dollars.
Of course with an Ultra.. Enjoy!
Ultra oil filter?

Yes sir you're correct.

Yes the Magnatec 5W-30 has been full synthetic for many months now. About a month ago, I bought two jugs of it for an oil change. My local Walmart was trying to be sneaky because they put two jugs of the blend out in front of the two rows of 5W-30. I just moved them, and grabbed two jugs of the full syn.

Castrol Mag seems to be able to take one heck of a beating and show great results! Runs quiet too!

Nice report, nice engine. Ford borrowing that hybrid CG iron/aluminum engine block construction from the 2.7L European diesel was such a good idea for them. Should prove more durable than the 3.5L

Nice report OP, that iron at 9ppm in 4,500 miles shows the MC 5W20 did fine even if not the correct grade.

I like your next oil, Castrol Edge, I'm sure it will look after you fine.

Originally Posted By: PeterPolyol
Nice report, nice engine. Ford borrowing that hybrid CG iron/aluminum engine block construction from the 2.7L European diesel was such a good idea for them. Should prove more durable than the 3.5L
Has there been a problem with the 3.5?

Originally Posted By: PeterPolyol
It's up for interpretation, but I haven't seen a 2.7 do this yet...

Loose oil filter or a rod through the block? Some one installed a tune? Boosted engine fail big when the fail. The only engine I have ever had fail was a 3.8 GM most people will say they are a decent engine and it was running Amsoil. Amsoil should have made the engine indestructible.

My 2.7 is doing exactly what ford claimed it would and gets the mileage the EPA claimed.

18 city 23+ highway. 325HP/375 Torque. Tows my 3000 lb boat with ease.

Traded my 2008 5.3L V8 Silverado in for this truck. Went from 13-14MPG to this. ZERO regrets.

Now about the oil ...

Magnatec VS Edge. Does Edge protect equally or better then Magnatec. Esters speaking ??

A few on this forum are going to thicker oils than Ford recommends to counter the sheering and fuel dilution. I say this UOA supports a hypothesis that their motors are GTG with 20 weight, but Ford recommends 30 weight as a simple solution to sheering and fuel dilution.

Not that I believe one data point is ample evidence....of proper oil weight or an engine prone to barfing oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back