Putting a PUBLIX in near folks place

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here in a Denver NC, they are building a PUBLIX grocery store. Anyone have one near or around them? I hear they have competitive prices
smile.gif

Happy a Friday BITOG faithful
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: car51
Here in a Denver NC, they are building a PUBLIX grocery store. Anyone have one near or around them? I hear they have competitive prices
smile.gif

smile.gif

Publix started in the late 1940s in Lakeland, Florida. I worked through high school part time at one near us. They're first rate as far as customer satisfaction is concerned - if something ain't right, they'll make it right, even if it was your fault in the first place. As a kid working there part time our motto was "Publix, where shopping is a pleasure but working is a pain in the [censored]." But when you're 15, well, what can I say? They treated us well considering we were snotnosed kids in the early 1960s.

They came to Georgia about 20 yrs ago and they're all over metro Atlanta. Every one is clean, orderly, the employees are helpful, and they have a great selection of their own 'private label' goods that in a lot of cases are better than some name brands . . . well, because they're made by the name brand guys.

Usually each Public will have their own bakery, deli, butcher to cut meat to order, many have a pharmacy, and some even sell liquor (in Florida). If you're diabetic - skip the bakery, it's deadly.

In my specific location they go head-to-head with Kroger, Wal-Mart Supercenter, Sam's Club and Aldi, all within a 3 mile stretch.

Originally Posted By: xshoex
Prices alot higher then winn dixie in my area but ive been told their meat is alot better

Haven't seen a Winn-Dixie around Atlanta in ages . . . . and virtually ANYONE had better meat than W/D in all my experience with 'em.

Publix is huge in FL.

Prices are higher, lots of BOGO offers, best customer service.

Tryout the Pub-subs. Hard to beat their buffalo chicken tender sandwich!

If you work there, you can earn extra retirement style money via their ESOP program.

I mostly shop at Wal-Mart, only because I prefer shopping late at night and try to get oil at the same time I get bread
wink.gif
haha

They have buy one get one sales, which are extremely competitive, and actually cheaper than other stores on those items.

I'm not a huge fan of the meat department. I actually prefer the meat department at Winn-Dixie or Sams Club. Their meat department is lacking, in my opinion.

The produce department is second to none, although a little higher than other grocery stores.

The deli is excellent. The fried chicken and deli sandwiches made to order are excellent.

Their store branded items are the best in the industry.

They bought all the equipment to make ice cream, and own an ice cream factory. Their Publix brand ice cream is excellent.

Their Publix premium store brand items are so good, I actually buy those over name brand every time.

Its a good store.

They built an Aldi in my town and I go there now, as I save at least 30% over Publix prices, but I still do go to Publix at least once a month for items that Aldi doesn't have.

Love Publix! Miss them since moving back up north. About the only thing I miss about living in Florida.

I love both Publix in our area. Always clean (unlike some Winn Dixie stores), great customer service, hire lots of aging folks as well as people with special needs, food is price matched with Walmart Superstores and the quality is exceptional.

...and yeah, the best subs in my area by far (Boar's Head brand meats and cheeses is used).

No. They put in several in my part of NC. Loads of hype and buildup. The wife and I went once. Nothing cheap in Publix.
Lidl (German) chain are opening stores in NC now. Competitors to Aldi. Now their prices are noticeable cheaper.

Aldis opened a new store near by. I get a kick out of their store brand simulating name brands. Stuff is mostly made here. They have the most spartan check out I've ever seen.

Originally Posted By: car51
smile.gif

smile.gif

Lots of buy one, get one Free deals every week. $10 off any $50 gas card promos and Digital Publix coupons.

Don't forget to try a Boars Head sub from their Deli, they are soooo delicious. They cut the meat and cheese fresh unlike Subway.

HouseTiger,

Actually it was Winter Haven, not Lakeland were Jenkins opened his first store.

Their ESOP retirement plan had made many employees very wealthy due to their private stock plan.

Originally Posted By: HouseTiger

Publix started in the late 1940s in Lakeland, Florida. I worked through high school part time at one near us. They're first rate as far as customer satisfaction is concerned - if something ain't right, they'll make it right, even if it was your fault in the first place. As a kid working there part time our motto was "Publix, where shopping is a pleasure but working is a pain in the [censored]." But when you're 15, well, what can I say? They treated us well considering we were snotnosed kids in the early 1960s.

They came to Georgia about 20 yrs ago and they're all over metro Atlanta. Every one is clean, orderly, the employees are helpful, and they have a great selection of their own 'private label' goods that in a lot of cases are better than some name brands . . . well, because they're made by the name brand guys.

Usually each Public will have their own bakery, deli, butcher to cut meat to order, many have a pharmacy, and some even sell liquor (in Florida). If you're diabetic - skip the bakery, it's deadly.

In my specific location they go head-to-head with Kroger, Wal-Mart Supercenter, Sam's Club and Aldi, all within a 3 mile stretch.[/font]

Pretty much this. Thanks for the history! Knew they were from FL, just didn't know they went back that far.

I'm about 20 miles outside the perimeter, and like you say Publix stores are everywhere here. My nearest three Publix stores are all directly across the street from Kroger stores. I buy prepackaged brand name stuff and some various staples (flour, eggs) at Kroger since they're generally cheaper and I get fuel points, but Publix is always my choice for meats, most produce, deli and bakery. Pretty much anything they make in their store is guaranteed to be excellent.

Store employees are always much more helpful than Kroger, like today when I was looking for a certain kind of pear my dad likes. I asked the produce guy if they were sold out when I didn't see them in the usual spot, and he took me back into the stockroom to let me pick what I wanted from a pallet that had just been delivered. You're lucky to find anyone to ask for help at Kroger.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: rshaw125
No. They put in several in my part of NC. Loads of hype and buildup. The wife and I went once. Nothing cheap in Publix.
Lidl (German) chain are opening stores in NC now. Competitors to Aldi. Now their prices are noticeable cheaper.
thumbsup2.gif
We have 2 Publix stores in Chattanooga tn, they are nice, but the wife shops at Costco,wallyworld,and Aldi.................I don't argue,lol.

Originally Posted By: ctrcbob
The best grocery chain in the countfy is Wegmans. I understand that Wegmans may expand to NC in the near future. Google it. All Wegmans are Superstores. Public is ok, but can't hold a candle to Wegmans.

Get out of town. HEB is the best in the USA.
grin.gif

They drove kroger and albertsons out of SA.

Some Winn-Dixie and Albertsons supermarkets went out of business because of Publix around here, the few that remain are in bad shape. Customer service is top notch at Publix, I agree the meat department is lacking, we buy our meats at Costco or Sam's. I like the whole chickens at Publix, Mojo flavor is my favorite.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back