Leg pulling

Status
Not open for further replies.
I gave up searching because I'm not sure what to search for and I'm starting to think this guy may of been pulling my leg so here it goes.

We were discussing the different gas stations in town that are selling E0 now and I mention I'm getting it at Shell now but was getting it from Casey's. He comes back and says be careful of Casey's because he has a friend that has a car that can tell him if he is using E10 or E0 or somewhere in between and that Casey's is not pure straight gas that is has alcohol in it.

Are there cars out there that have such a gauge or device that can tell you how much alcohol is in the gas in your tank?

Last edited:
Google on how to separate ethanol from gasoline. be precise in your measurements. if no ethanol separates out you have no ethanol.

there is no device built oem into a car thst i know of to directly measure ethanol so itd be aftermarket but perhaps you misinterpreted your friend.

if he knows his car runs differently on ethanol then perhaps he is saying he has indirect method of knowing.

beyond the butt dyno, perhaps he has a scanguage or uses obd2 and a phone app lime torque and is able to correlate an engine parameter to his fuel.

why dont you just ask him how he is able to detect.

Last edited:
Some cars have OEM flex fuel sensors and it maybe able to read the value with OBD2 custom PID.

Beside innovate motorsports, Haltech ECUs also have an optional flex fuel sensor, as may a lot of aftermarket full ECUs.

Originally Posted By: Superflan
Some cars have OEM flex fuel sensors and it maybe able to read the value with OBD2 custom PID.

Beside innovate motorsports, Haltech ECUs also have an optional flex fuel sensor, as may a lot of aftermarket full ECUs.

This sounds like the most plausible answer although it doesn't make sense to me why someone with a flex fuel vehicle would want to pay more for E0. I don't know the guy, we were both customers waiting inline at the mower shop passing the time, I have never seen the guy before so I doubt I'd ever run into him again unless by chance.

The reason I was trying to verify his friend being able to tell how much corn is in his tank is my concern for Casey's not selling a true E0. Three months ago Shell started selling E0 again so I started using it. I've been thru about 3 tanks now and noticed I'm getting about 25ish more miles per tank (all city miles) compared to Casey's E0. At first I thought, could it be the TT fuel but after hearing this guy say Casey's E0 isn't 100% straight gas makes more sense to me for the increase. My Buick runs just fine on E10 but I get a 2-3 mpg hit when using it.

I also realize some might say it could be winter to summer gas but to be honest the only time I see a significant difference between the two is when I let the car warm up before driving it, other wise I can't see a difference in mpg that is noticeable.

I'll have to search for testing E0 if I have to go back to Casey's.

Last edited:
Letting your car warm up simply gives you 0 mpg sitting and then higher while driving. Overall will be less than simply taking it easy before it is warm and then driving normally.

I would take Shell/TT over unbranded unless the economics were such that I could run a PEA additive regularly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back