LED headlights

Status
Not open for further replies.
When the time comes to replace my truck headlights I'm thinking of going with LED's. Has anyone used the kits from 4x4trucks led? http://www.4x4truckleds.com/ . Good reviews on the Ford truck forum.
Changing bulbs on my truck involves disassembly vs just reaching in and swapping them out so I like that Led's supposedly have a long life span.

I recently swapped my halogens for LED's and am very satisfied so far. Dull yellow halogen compared to the bright white light. The difference is huge so far in my corolla. No experience in a truck, I got mine on Amazon, brand was Yumseen. It cost me about 35$ canadian, cheaper then replacement higher end halogens and about 15 bucks more than stock halogen replacements. I guess it depends how much 4X4 is asking for them. Ive had mine just a couple months, so i will see how they hold up. Since they run cooler, they are supposed to help prevent the plastic lens covers from getting foggy and dull as well.

Not safe or legal to swap an led bulb into a halogen housing. The light source will no longer match the design of the housing and will not put light where you actually need it.

Originally Posted By: Rolla07
... Since they run cooler, they are supposed to help prevent the plastic lens covers from getting foggy and dull as well.
How does replacing the bulb with an LED prevent ultraviolet radiation from the sun from fogging the front exterior surface of the lens?

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
Not safe or legal to swap an led bulb into a halogen housing. The light source will no longer match the design of the housing and will not put light where you actually need it.

What he says. There are LED replacement headlights that have a housing designed for the LED bulb. These are legal. LED retrofit bulbs can't work properly because of the different shape of the element. You can be putting oncoming motorists in danger using these bulbs.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis

Yes there were and still are leds that should not be used due to indiscriminate light patterns etc. However some ( and these in particular) are designed to be used in halogen housings as long as they're installed in proper orientation.
From the videos I've watched they have sharp cutoffs.

It is a huge automotive myth that a "sharp cutoff" eliminates glare to oncoming traffic.

Originally Posted By: Bear
When the time comes to replace my truck headlights I'm thinking of going with LED's. Has anyone used the kits from 4x4trucks led? http://www.4x4truckleds.com/ . Good reviews on the Ford truck forum.
Changing bulbs on my truck involves disassembly vs just reaching in and swapping them out so I like that Led's supposedly have a long life span.

I also have a 2014 F150. Last week I installed the LED headlight kit form 4x4truckleds. I got the kit for the stock halogen housings and man what a difference. Super easy install, came clocked properly, and I couldn't be happier with the performance. I had a pair of the Phillips Xtreme Vision bulbs in there before and there's just no comparison between the two. Get the kit man, you won't regret it. I ordered the foglight kit last night.

And for those that are going to say I'm endangering everyone on the road I say that I've had people I trust look for any glare while driving toward them and there was none. They have a good cutoff and not once have I had someone flash the highs at me. These LEDs are designed to work specifically in these F150 housings.

Last edited:
I also have a 2014 F150. Last week I installed the LED headlight kit form 4x4truckleds. I got the kit for the stock halogen housings and man what a difference. Super easy install, came clocked properly, and I couldn't be happier with the performance. I had a pair of the Phillips Xtreme Vision bulbs in there before and there's just no comparison between the two. Get the kit man, you won't regret it. I ordered the foglight kit last night.

And for those that are going to say I'm endangering everyone on the road I say that I've had people I trust look for any glare while driving toward them and there was none. They have a good cutoff and not once have I had someone flash the highs at me. These LEDs are designed to work specifically in these F150 housings.[/quote]

Thanks for the first hand review AdRock. I think I will go with these. As far as the fog lights, I'm probably one of the few drivers who only use them when it's actually foggy which is only a few times a year here. Talk about glare?! Kills me that so many use them all the time.
Also did you change bulbs originally just to get better lighting or was there an issues with the oem's? I didn't change bulbs on my wife's CRV till last year, so the originals lasted 8 years! Granted, mostly well lit city driving. I'll have the truck 3 years July 2nd but I do a lot of dark road country driving and never thought much of the stock lighting.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Bear
Thanks for the first hand review AdRock. I think I will go with these. As far as the fog lights, I'm probably one of the few drivers who only use them when it's actually foggy which is only a few times a year here. Talk about glare?! Kills me that so many use them all the time.
Also did you change bulbs originally just to get better lighting or was there an issues with the oem's? I didn't change bulbs on my wife's CRV till last year, so the originals lasted 8 years! Granted, mostly well lit city driving. I'll have the truck 3 years July 2nd but I do a lot of dark road country driving and never thought much of the stock lighting.

I swapped to the Phillips because I didn't like the output of the stock bulbs. The Xtreme Visions were a good step better. But the LED's are head and shoulders above the Phillips.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: PumpPusher
Anybody have some nighttime pics? I'm going to switch over my fleet to led headlights.

The vendor I referred to (and a forum member) posted pictures on a Ford truck forum I visit.
Whatever you do, do not buy cheap leds! There are good ones out there that will not blind oncoming drivers and give you better visibility.

What are the CRI (color rendition index) of the LED bulbs?

Halogens offer 100CRI. Moving to LED can be a serious downgrade in terms of CRI.

Then there is the whole LED's aren't designed to work in a halogen bulb enclosure. Result=light puking all over in front of the vehicle. This is the same problems as putting HID bulbs in a halogen enclosure.

Unfortunately those that install these are some amazed by the amount of light spewing forward from their vehicle they fail to realize the effect it has to oncoming drivers as well as beam pattern performance overall is diminished.

There are a reflector headlight and a projector headlight for this model year, which one do you have?

Originally Posted By: whizbyu
http://www.headlightexperts.com
Has anyone heard of this vendor?
From what they describe, the LED is fed by some fiberoptic unit. Then there is a housing that "correctly" fits in the halogen bulb housing. "Correct" is subject to interpretation, of course.
A LED requires electric power, which a fiber optic cable is not designed to conduct. The LED is likely outside the headlamp unit and light is conducted into the headlamp unit by the fiber optic cable.

Originally Posted By: CR94
Originally Posted By: Rolla07
... Since they run cooler, they are supposed to help prevent the plastic lens covers from getting foggy and dull as well.
How does replacing the bulb with an LED prevent ultraviolet radiation from the sun from fogging the front exterior surface of the lens?

I have a set of headlights that are cracked and hazed exactly in the area of light emission from the low beam. He's 100% right.

Originally Posted By: Smokescreen
What are the CRI (color rendition index) of the LED bulbs?

Halogens offer 100CRI. Moving to LED can be a serious downgrade in terms of CRI.

Then there is the whole LED's aren't designed to work in a halogen bulb enclosure. Result=light puking all over in front of the vehicle. This is the same problems as putting HID bulbs in a halogen enclosure.

Unfortunately those that install these are some amazed by the amount of light spewing forward from their vehicle they fail to realize the effect it has to oncoming drivers as well as beam pattern performance overall is diminished.

Before I converted my Ram to LED bulbs, I could literally see nothing unless it was diectly in front of the truck, and less than 50 feet away. Now, I see everything down the road. Beam pattren matches stock precisely.

Update: Installed my LED's Saturday (have been at our camp since Sunday) and I am impressed with the increased visibility! I did take before and after pictures and can post them next week. I'm off to camp again to clean up after the flooding we got yesterday.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back