Need some advice on my Hyundai D6UA and Denyo Gen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, to all. I have been lurking here a time or two, just signed up and donated today. Very impressed by the depth of knowledge and professionalism here.

Need some advice on type of oil, and frequency of changes, for my boat engine and generator. My boat engine is a Hyundai D6UA that I have rebuilt. It powers my 29 meter open-air tourist cruising boat on the Mekong River, slowly. Seems we have the prop, gearing, and driveline set just about right as she purrs along well, and doesn't work too hard. Temperatures are consistently hot here, ranging from about 80-95 year round. The boat runs about 2-3 hours at a time, up to twice a day.

My generator is a Denyo 15kva low-rpm model. I love it.

I have inquired with many different sources from mechanics, suppliers, and enthusiasts. I have absolutely zero consensus on the type of oil to use, and the frequency of changing the oil. I have been using a Total brand mid-grade semi synthetic and changing it at 250 hours. Both for the engine and generator. Being in Cambodia, my options are of course limited. We do have good Total, Cal-Tex, and PTT suppliers. And there may be decent selection of Valvoline available.

Any and all advice would be much appreciated, for oil and filters. Thanks in advance.

Is there a manufacture recommendation for the engines application? Total and Cal-tex Are big operators PTTs a local ?

Originally Posted By: CT8
Is there a manufacture recommendation for the engines application? Total and Cal-tex Are big operators PTTs a local ?

Unfortunately, I am having trouble locating such info. This is an inline 6, non-turbo, diesel engine. it is used in generators and marine applications. I'm a bit in the dark.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: userfriendly
Caltex Delo 400 SAE 30 sounds about right, at least to me it does.

That is definitely available locally, the Cal-Tex Delo 400. Considering my usage, what do you reckon the oil change frequency? We run from about 60-100 hours per month. Thanks

Last edited:
That would depend on the sulfur content of your fuel. I would guess 250 hours and adjust from there. Chevron could help you with that question.

edit; "reckon" is American slang from the Huck Finn days.

Last edited:
Any HDEO CI4/CJ4 15w40 will do.
Supposing Euro II diesel in your locality, change every 250 hours.

Originally Posted By: zeng

Thanks. You hit it right on the head. Leaded fuel and high sulphur.

Would you recommend the same oil for both the Hyundai engine and Denyo generator?

Any benefit of using synthetic or a blend?

Yes to your 1st question & no to your 2nd question.
Another option is Delvac 1630 or MX 15W40.
I'm sure there is a Caltex cross-over for those 2 products, Ultra Gold, or something like that.

Interesting, both you & Zeng have a high level of English usage.

Yes to your 1st question & no to your 2nd question.
Another option is Delvac 1630 or MX 15W40.
I'm sure there is a Caltex cross-over for those 2 products, Ultra Gold, or something like that.

Interesting, both you & Zeng have a high level of English usage.

Thanks so much for your info. I suppose my high level of English use is due to being born and raised in the states. LOL!

I'm an American doing business in SEA.

Yep. Caltex has Delo Gold Ultra. As well as Delo 400. The comparable product from Total seems to be Rubia TIR 7400 (API CI-4/SL). Both have the same ratings. Those two are widely available, and should always be in stock.

Thanks for the info.

Originally Posted By: urbanpail
Originally Posted By: zeng

Thanks. You hit it right on the head. Leaded fuel and high sulphur.

Would you recommend the same oil for both the Hyundai engine and Denyo generator?

Any benefit of using synthetic or a blend?

Yep, same oil for both engines would do.... partly for oil rationalisation at site.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back