Nissan 3.5L engine splash shield fasteners..

Status
Not open for further replies.

JTK

I did the first engine oil change on our new to us 2016 Nissan Quest yesterday. On later model Quests, Murranos and Pathfinders, the oil filter is accessed through the right side fender well, behind a removable panel that's held in place with 4 push plug fasteners. You basically crank the wheels all the way to the right, which gives good access to this area. The OEM plugs have 3 notches in the head that are 120deg apart, so my little push-plug pliers didn't work well, so I wound up using a 90deg pic to pop the heads on the fasteners to release them. One of them shot out on me bouncing around under the car like a pin-ball and I was never able to find it, so the panel is currently held on by 3. Does anyone know the proper size or p/n for replacement plugs? I can find the panels all day long online, but not the hardware. I can pull another plug to use as an example and try Lowes or whatnot, but I thought I'd try here first since that would render the van inop (unless I want to loose the panel entirely) Thanks.

Is one of these panels the oil filter panel?

uJarS00.png

Thanks! It's tough to tell from the diagram, but that 64836 w/ the 6408E's look like it!

Those little things usually just take a small flat blade screwdriver to remove. You should be able to take one of your originals to the auto parts store and get a Dorman replacement. They're sold in small packs of maybe 3 or 4.

Those definitely look like the ones. I just have to get a few measurements to see if they're standard 20mm head, 10mm shaft and buy some generics, although that price isn't horrible for 25 of them.

If you're by any chance near Blasdell, I've got a whole bunch of Honda fasteners which I believe are 10mm.

You're welcome to snag a few to see if they work. I get them on eBay. 100ct for around $7-10.

At least you don't have 18 10mm machine screws to remove the splash shield, like on my wife's Infiniti. The only time I took the car to a Nissan dealer in Florida for an OC, the idiots left off almost half of the screws. So the the genius service manager sent me some of your so called clips. Wrong. He finally sent the proper screws after I bought replacements at Ace Hardware.

Keep a bag of spare clips on hand, even if you have to buy them at a Nissan dealer.

Yes, even though it's only 4 clips and the small cover is off on these Nissan models, I can see Kwiki-Loobs and dealers screwing it up royally. You have great access to the filter once it's off. Mine looked like it was never touched, but the genuine Nissan filter came off easily by hand and looked really good when I cut it open, so it's had atleast 1-2 oil changes in ~2yrs and 36K miles. It was a rental.

Originally Posted By: redhat
If you're by any chance near Blasdell, I've got a whole bunch of Honda fasteners which I believe are 10mm.

You're welcome to snag a few to see if they work. I get them on eBay. 100ct for around $7-10.

Thanks brother! I'm just going to grab a measurement and order some.

I just figured/hoped finding someone here that has run into the exact situation would be my best chance.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: JTK
Originally Posted By: redhat

Thanks brother! I'm just going to grab a measurement and order some.

I just figured/hoped finding someone here that has run into the exact situation would be my best chance.

You're welcome!

On my 11 Quest, I can get the filter changed without removing that panel. It is flexible enough, I just pull it to the side with one hand and spin the filter off with the other hand.
Not sure if the 16 is the same.

Might save some hassle in the future.

Your Nissan dealer probably has those clips in stock.

Thanks Cronk. I believe the 2011-2016 is exactly the same in regards to this panel. I didn't try flexing the whole inner fender liner out of the way because I wanted to see how the filter, oil cooler, etc looked behind it. I can see where flexing it out of the way with the vehicle up on a lift or over a pit would be super simple and judging from how this panel and fasteners looked untouched, this is probably how previous OCs were done on this van. Pretty easy engine oil change, no ramps or lift needed. I do hate the dipsticks on these engines, but it's not a huge deal. Yeah, I know I could get these plug fasteners at the Nissan dealer parts counter. I just was curious if someone new the size off hand so I could order some online, aftermarket or otherwise.

Last edited:
Yeah, I agree the dipstick is kind of a pain.
I usually stagger a couple 2x10's on each of the front wheels to make a ramp of sorts so each front wheel is on top of 2. Gets me a few extra inch's of ground clearance.
kinda like this:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back