Pennzoil Platinum 10W30

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: AZjeff
With a reported NOACK of 4.7% this will be my go-to oil in the GDI after warranty.

Ya i am thinking same for sis car but also thinking to just use it now and not wait for warranty period to expire. Wondering if damage will be already be done by 70k miles ! Never had to use the warranty anyway.
And they use dino drum oil at dealership. Anyway been flirting with 4quarts of pp 10w30 blended with a quart of pp 5w20 dexos for summer. Maybe straight pp 10w30. For winter 3 quarts of pp 10w30 with 2 quarts of 5w20 dexos. The noack on 5w20 is 8.6. The blended noack will still be much better than an affordable 5w30 noack.

I bought a 2017 Hyundai Elantra a few months back. The oil cap shows 5w20 on it. But if you look in the owner's manual, it shows 5w20 and 5w30 for the same temp ranges, and 10w30 for temps above zero degrees. As long as you use what the manufacturer recommends for the temps, how could that affect the warranty? Say use 5w20 for winter, then switch to 10w30 for late spring through summer driving.

L8R,
Matt

My sis gdi car says to use 5w30 all year. No choices for her chevy. Its got 15k miles. So pp 10w30 eight months out of 12 looks reasonable even before warranty runs out. Thats what i am thinking.

This would be a perfect all year oil for all my vehicles except my wife's new car (still getting free dealer oil changes)

Wondering where pp 10w30 would fail chevy dexos spec especially at operating temp when compared to dexos 5w30 ?

I've thought of going PP 10w-30 just for the summer triple digit temps, but have continued using PYB 5w-30 since around the 50k mark on the 2010 Hyundai 2.4L
I did use a few OCs of PP early on, but doing 5k OCIs I figured the PYB would be fine.
And since back then I went from 5w-20 as stated on the fill cap to 5w-30. Couldn't tell a mpg hit. If I went with longer OCIs, I'd probably go up from the PYB, probably stick with Pennzoil too.
Have 130k on the clock now and with the PYB & 5k OCIs the stick level hardly drops below the full mark, not enough to top off at all. So I hesitate to change although I always feel like I want to. Also couldn't pull myself to go to a HM oil yet either. Someday I might. And when I get more miles on the clock, might have to try 10w-30 if consumption increases.

Last edited:
Ya i dont use hm oils in any of my cars. My expidition has 180k miles.

For oil consumption on hm engine sometimes 10w30 maybe a better choice. Something re seal swellers if you dont need them then dont put them in !

Originally Posted By: merconvvv
Wondering where pp 10w30 would fail chevy dexos spec especially at operating temp when compared to dexos 5w30 ?

It likely didn't "fail", but with nothing new spec'ing 10w-30 why go through the dexos cert process? My truck specs Dexos oil.

Originally Posted By: merconvvv
For oil consumption on hm engine sometimes 10w30 maybe a better choice. Something re seal swellers if you dont need them then dont put them in !

Which synthetic oils don't have seal swellers?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back