Has Photobucket eliminated Free...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Third Party Hosting?

Got an email this am saying I need to "upgrade" to Plus 500 account to keep and/or recover Third Party Hosting. I didn't click on it yet, but it seems to be only as a pay option.

I noticed the same message on one of the posts in place of pictures posted here (bitog) yesterday.

I've posted a fair amount of pictures on Bitog over the years and really it's the only reason I've used the PB account. If so it's kinda sad to see all those pics that used to show up on on bitog and google images as part of a search of bitog and otherwise, be gone. If true, feel like I'm kinda being extorted, but I suppose it is what it is.

Besides paying PB, what are free options going forward?

I have seen dozens of dead photobucket links around the net in the past few days showing hosting on 3rd party sites has been removed.

Yeah, I saw the Citric Acid Flush pics on Coolant sub forum replaced with similar to my email message this am. Prior to the email this am my PB account listed as only ~25% full.

I've had an account there for years. They have been progressively going downhill. Slow, too many pop ups, etc. Now they want money to "upgrade" so I can see photos I've already posted on forums. I'm done.

So now I've got hundreds of pictures stored there I can't use. I just opened an account at Flickr. That's a PITA. I can't get URL links to post photos. Just a http link that will lead back to my account there. I want to be able to post photos like I did a Photobucket before it went to total garbage. What do you guys recommend? I'm already getting aggravated.

Originally Posted By: billt460
I want to be able to post photos ....What do you guys recommend?

Just load them directly into BITOG instead.

See the little sunset picture above the reply box with the blue up arrow?

Originally Posted By: billt460
I've had an account there for years. They have been progressively going downhill. Slow, too many pop ups, etc. Now they want money to "upgrade" so I can see photos I've already posted on forums. I'm done.

So now I've got hundreds of pictures stored there I can't use. I just opened an account at Flickr. That's a PITA. I can't get URL links to post photos. Just a http link that will lead back to my account there. I want to be able to post photos like I did a Photobucket before it went to total garbage. What do you guys recommend? I'm already getting aggravated.

You can download the pictures from your Photobucket account, but it's still going to be a big PITA. Choose an album, and then on the right side of the page under Actions choose download album. Probably going to take forever because I am sure they are going to get hammered.

I got the same message this week. I tried to look at the option to may some small amount, but the site works so poorly I couldn't even see what it was. I made a counter offer of deleting every one of my pictures and deleting the account. I've been mad at them anyway after they made their mobile app unusable.

Ditto, I received the same message this morning, now all my linked pictures here, on TDIClub (and elsewhere) are dead. Going to take a while to untangle this mess, but it can be done, and I will delete my account once completed.

It is usurious to change your TOS to disallow what was explicitly allowed (and encouraged! they gave you the BBCode straight in the image viewer!) then link people to a $400/year option as their "best value".

Drop box just eliminated public folders a few months ago as well.. which killed all my photos here for the last couple years.

Now public folders dont allow image links..ugh.

I would be open to a pay account that was cheap.. say $20 a year they do have to pay bandwidth.. but photobucket is just extortion.

lets see how long they have 14billion images there.

This is one of the reasons it was recommended to use the code box for uoa's here.. instead of posting a picture.. although now you can attach one to the forum.

More details of the photobucket fiasco here:
https://www.ghacks.net/2017/06/30/photobucket-now-charges-399-for-third-party-hosted-images/

Obviously I'm not paying ~$400, that's whacked. I'll keep the account for now while I determine what to do if anything with the pics there. Too bad every pic posted here over the years now gone though. C'est la vie.

I liked having them at a host site, seemed to work ok though extensive ads at PB was becoming an issue.

Thanks for the replies.

Lots of DIY projects pictures and stuff like that are going to be gone forever all over the web.

39.gif
Photobbucket

Yep missed that thread in Computers sf. Based on the date, comments following and bitog PB pics posted here yesterday, looks like PB been phasing it in. I'll read it for ideas.

The part that really burns the bacon..

No prior notice, change from free to $399.

This smells of moneygrab. I wouldnt doubt even for people who pay the money

there might be BANS of photobucket from some forums etc.

Originally Posted By: Rand

No prior notice, change from free to $399.....

Agreed, and does seem like greed.

Originally Posted By: Rand

No prior notice, change from free to $399.

This smells of moneygrab. I wouldnt doubt even for people who pay the money

there might be BANS of photobucket from some forums etc.

Agreed. I gave photobucket the boot a while back, thinking I'd give them another shot when/if they made their site and app usable again. Now, they've jumped the shark, and I'm done with them forever.

I get emails daily from them asking for money. I did get the "Third Party" warning even though I'm not sharing the photos.

So I'm leaving them soon and moving elsewhere. I have all the pics backed up locally too, so moving them will be easy.

I've always used Imgur, it's free but I typically just upload directly. Uploading to a site then linking it just seems like extra work unless you plan on also posting the photos on multiple other sites.

At this point looks like imgur.com will be the next host site I'll try. Doesn't help all the pics posted here hosted by Pb now though. Guess they are gone. Going to have to experiment as to how difficult to move at least some from Pb to imgur if possible.

Googling this topic/subject today, lots of chatter about lost pics on sites all over the net. Can't repeat some of the expletives for Pb, but I'm sure it doesn't take much imagination to figure them out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back