OEM filters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do we have any idea how efficient OEM filters are? I cut open a new Nissan filter and it looks good but I have no idea how efficient it is?

Many Nissan oil filters are made by Gonher in Mexico. They advertise that their oil filters have 99% "pollution retention capacity" no idea what their first pass efficiency rate is, but rest assured that it is good enough.

BITOG get's pretty finicky about filtration details that the OEM's don't loose sleep over.

I had a ADBV relax permanently open on my last GOHNER in the rogue. Now running either M1 (Champ) or Fram toughguard with no problems that plagued the China made engine destroyers Nissan used to push.

How does oil get around this Fabrique au Chine Nissan endcap that has about 15 thousandths radial gap. Please recall that the oil is pumped IN through the perimeter holes on the baseplate, moves around the endcap to can gap, then through the media into and out of the centertube. Not much room HERE>

Last edited:
Quote:
Many Nissan oil filters are made by Gonher in Mexico. They advertise that their oil filters have 99% "pollution retention capacity"....

"99% pollution retention capacity." WTH is that?
lol.gif
I'm not laughing at you, I've just not seen or heard that one before but it reads and sounds funny imo.

As for topic query, generally speaking OEM filter efficiency is proprietary. The best indication out there is the data points in the Amsoil efficiency testing/chart of some OEM filters frequently posted here. Some like the Motorcraft, AcDelco and Mopar/Chrysler were very respectable. The Asian filters tested, not so much. Some dismiss the data as old and unreliable. But seeing some filters did rather well and others no so much, would seem to indicate fair test results, 'imo'. Nissan not among the Asian OEM filters tested, though imo based on anecdotes posted the Gonher made Nissan OF generally appears to be a well made filter.

The "99% pollution retention capacity" statement comes directly from Gonher website. Could mean their filters don't leak?
grin.gif

I use the Gonher oil filters from my local Nissan dealership only because I want to avoid any issues with 2013 Maxima engine warranty. Once the 5 year warranty is up, I'll switch to Mahle / Mann / Bosch / Wix or Motorcraft.

I think the 50% @ 20 microns might be a good base figure in relation to Toyota, Honda, and Hyundai filters for example where AC Delco or similar might be a bit different IDK. Flow over filtration will usually rule most OEMs...so if you ask how efficient they are I would think the safe, general answer is less than the better aftermarket filters. The efficiency figures listed for my OEM filter are in nominal terms and not something that will tell true efficiency in operation.

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
I had a ADBV relax permanently open on my last GOHNER in the rogue. Now running either M1 (Champ) or Fram toughguard with no problems that plagued the China made engine destroyers Nissan used to push.

How does oil get around this Fabrique au Chine Nissan endcap that has about 15 thousandths radial gap. Please recall that the oil is pumped IN through the perimeter holes on the baseplate, moves around the endcap to can gap, then through the media into and out of the centertube. Not much room HERE>

How does a filter built like that even work?? Looks terrible!

Many think that "flow over filtration" is the goal of most OEM filter designers ... BUT, we have never seen any "flow vs delta-p" graphs of these filers to even know what their true flow performance is. Most think since it's not very efficient than it must flow well, but I don't think that can necessarily always be true.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
BUT, we have never seen any "flow vs delta-p" graphs of these filers to even know what their true flow performance is. Most think since it's not very efficient than it must flow well, but I don't think that can necessarily always be true.

Curious... one would assume they go hand in hand. If Delta P is high, it must be filtering well... logically?

The Japanese OEMs need their engines to last the length of a lease like 40-60K on no, or maybe one, oil change ever. Not sure it's part of their oil filter rationale, but that's how a lot of brand new Japanese vehicles wind up there in their domestic market due to re-certification issues- totally sludged on factory fill.

Originally Posted By: Linctex
Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
BUT, we have never seen any "flow vs delta-p" graphs of these filers to even know what their true flow performance is. Most think since it's not very efficient than it must flow well, but I don't think that can necessarily always be true.

Curious... one would assume they go hand in hand. If Delta P is high, it must be filtering well... logically?

You would think, but I'd like to see a real flow vs pressure drop curve to see. If they are "less restrictive to flow" it's not going to be by much, and it wouldn't make any difference anyway unless you're running the filter WAY past it's recommended use period.

Originally Posted By: FordCapriDriver
Don't know about other brands but Motorcraft are good value for money and have always used them on my Fords.

I don't know what Ford/Motorcraft does over in Spain, but a lot of North American OEM Ford filters are not really Motorcraft filters, or at least not what the dealership will put on your car for the first oil change that they give it. They are a proprietary filter that is not available for purchase for the consumer and is installed on the engine for the first time, probably so they have proof that somebody has never changed their oil filter when it comes time for warranty work.
But yea, Motorcraft oil filters are typically good filters.

Originally Posted By: HosteenJorje
OEM Denso

Are you saying Denso filters are good or not ?

Thanks , :)

god bless
Wyr

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite

This is a Nissan dealer replacement Filter used on ALL nissan non V8 engine cars. This garbage Ruined my Nissan Versa Note engine. Nissan soon dropped CHINA made filters. They gave me these for the rogue and the engine sounded like 20 blacksmiths hammering, so off it came in under 1 hour usage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back