Amalie oil... better than it has to be

Status
Not open for further replies.
I remember the commercials back in the 70's but have not seen one in over 30 years on TV....I have not seen it in auto parts stores or discount superstores. I know they still make it because there is a stadium named after it Has it turned into a oil thats sold in just a few stats close to its HQ? ....wally world sold it many years ago...but they have cut down to just a dozen if that offerings now on oil with caster, m1, penn,qs, valvoline,a small RP, and Shell R and Motocraft, and their brand of oil......thats it. I use too see Kendall, Havoline, exxon, shell f/i chevron etc.....I guess mergers caused most to disappear

Amalie is now making Advance Auto house brand oils as well as some of the ST syn. in the Florida area.
As far a Amalie branded oil, I haven't seen any lately.

Amalie has a big bottling plant down in Tampa. The STP brand oil at Autozone is Amalie. So is the Carquest brand at Advance. The STP 0W20 runs very well in my Honda and my wife's Nissan. It's a very good quality oil, has a good dose of zinc, moly and boron. I bought a 5 quart jug for Mrs. Jimmy's Nissan and 4 individual quarts of for my Honda for $33.00 with a rewards coupon at AZ. I get better gas mileage with the STP than I did with Napa Synthetic.

http://www.pqiadata.org/STP_SYN_0W20_dexos.html

My auto repair shop up the street (1/2 mile) sells Wolfhead's motor and transmission oils....those are Amalie base level products. I've seen Wolfhead's at the New England Benny's discount stores for years. Not sure if they currently carry it.

West Springfield (MA) Auto Parts has a decent following in the northeast. They sell Amalie products. My local dealer is about 12 miles away and they sell Amalie motor oil and trans fluids. In fact, I bought 16 qts of Amalie Mercon V last year for my trans fluid flush. West Springfield Auto Parts is only 1/4 mile from an Auto Zone and Advance Auto stores. So if there was any problem with selling Amalie against the local competition, they'd know about it. I think most of their business is with auto dealerships and repair shops.

For me, I see Amalie all over the place - 1,000 miles from Florida.

I have a couple paper qts of Amalie straight 50 from the mid-70s. My brother's Norton 750 used it. Makes great bar oil. I used 30 weight in my bugs.
grin2.gif

Amalie I think is one of the best kept secrets in oil. When I was younger, back when the only chain auto parts store around was Western Auto, Amalie was the oil that you found in gas stations that were mom+pop and may not have had branded gasoline. It always had a strong following at the race tracks, along with Kendall and Bardahl (yes kids, Bardahl was once more than just an additive.)

You would also see it at General Stores (more or less what we would call farm and tractor supply stores today) where Amalie and Wolf's Head were king.

Just order it. There is a link within the store locator for the Indiana factory store. Free shipping over 40.00 . Bought 2 cases for the CanAm Spyder, haven't cracked them open yet.

I was recently down in Florida and I picked up some conventional oil at Walmart and O'reilly. Both the ST and O'reilly brand were made by Amalie. I'm guessing Amalie supplies a lot of house brand oil in Florida and the southeast. No doubt they can sell it cheaper than WPP to the chain stores because of their presence in Tampa. Up north here, I'm seeing that Carquest oil is made by Amalie now. ST is still made by WPP. As mentioned already, we have a local discount chain called Benny's that sold Wolf's Head at one time. I'm going to check and see if they still have it as I don't go to Benny's much.

I have not seen Amalie branded oil in quite some time, but now I see that it's around. It's in the professional sales channel.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back