Toyo Open Country

Status
Not open for further replies.
Around here the popular Toyo's are M55 & Open Country CTs. Nitto EXO and their lookalike M55; HD Grappler are much the same.
All 4 cost more than the OC AT2s if you need the extra performance & mileage.

I've got some 225/70-16 Open Country AT 2s on my Subaru Forester. They are quite good - they performed well in the snow and ice last winter, and have done well in slick muddy off-road conditions.

The only negatives are: A little bit of tread noise at low speed (about 10-15 MPH), and wet traction on pavement is nowhere near as good as the old all-season tires. But then, these are truck tires...

I looked at them very closely a few months ago, but chose the BFG A/T KOs. The Toyo's were $50 more than the BFGs, made overseas and the reviews I read of them were they were very noisy.

I have Toyo Open Country AT 2 tires on an old 4Runner that is used mainly for winter driving and Fourwheeling trips. They do great in snow, and every off-road situation I've tried them in. I do try to avoid mud bogs, so I can't say how they would do in that situation. I'm sure a dedicated M/T would do better. But they ride smooth, balanced easily, and are quiet for a moderately aggressive A/T.

LT265/75R16 C
full-10791-5308-canon_pics_091.jpg

I also have Toyo Open Country CT tires on a '17 Ram 3500 dually. Fairly low miles as it's mostly a dedicated tow vehicle. But so far I'm pleased with them. The truck came from the factory with Nexen Roadian highway tires, but reviews weren't great for them, so I had the dealer swap out the tires prior to delivery. I haven't taken pics of those, sorry.

Last edited:
O2SE ... I noticed you are running the (C) load range in your size do you find they ride hard? My size is 245/75/16 and they make them in standard load and (C) (E) load range. I don't need a 10 ply (E) but I am considering the six ply C) since it has a deeper tread. My worry is a rough ride and a drop in fuel millage since the (C) load range tire is around 7 pounds heavier per tire.

I had an older pair of AT2s on an Explorer that I would go offroad, drive in the snow and generally beat the tar out of. I had zero traction issues and over all was very pleased. If you are looking for a quiet tire it is fine on the highway but around town has some noise. Trade off for the excellent traction

They are a good tire but unless discounted well.. other similar or better tires for same price.

Originally Posted By: Camprunner
O2SE ... I noticed you are running the (C) load range in your size do you find they ride hard? My size is 245/75/16 and they make them in standard load and (C) (E) load range. I don't need a 10 ply (E) but I am considering the six ply C) since it has a deeper tread. My worry is a rough ride and a drop in fuel millage since the (C) load range tire is around 7 pounds heavier per tire.

I think they ride very nice, when properly inflated for the load they carry. I briefly had some BFG KO2's, which in the size I run, are only available in a load range E. Those rode harsh, unless they were dangerously underinflated.

My 4Runner came from the factory with mild highway treaded P (4 ply rated) tires in the P265/70R16 (31") size. They rode nicely, but were inappropriate (IMO) for a vehicle with off-road capability. I quickly got punctures on rocky trails with those tires. As I have with every other P-rated tire I've ever had on a 4WD truck or SUV.

Of course the majority of people that buy 4wd trucks and SUV's rarely take them off paved roads, so those mild treaded and soft riding P-rated tires are fine for pavement duty.

Anyway, I've been running LT265/75R16 (32") tires ever since I got flats with the OEM tires. They have all been heavier with deeper tread and tougher construction than the OEM tires, and I'm sure impact the fuel economy somewhat. But for me on my now infrequently used old 4Runner, they are a great choice. That said, I would have no qualms using this SUV as a daily driver as equipped.

Good AT tire - but too stiff for my Canyon so took them off with lots of tred at 20k:

Originally Posted By: Camprunner
My worry is a rough ride and a drop in fuel millage since the (C) load range tire is around 7 pounds heavier per tire.

My truck came with 4-ply P-rated tires. The E-range BFGs I replaced them with are about 30lbs heavier (per tire). I saw about a 5% drop in MPGs, but I also added heavier duty skid plates about the same time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back