parking pawl question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all:

Took our 2015 Corolla in today for service and saw "valet" move the car forward a probably 20 feet very quickly and stop so abruptly with the door open the entire time making me suspect he put the car in Park before fully stopping. I was in a glass enclosed area so could not hear if there was any grinding noise. I actually asked him about it and at first he said he did indeed move it quickly but stopped fully before putting in Park but later found out he had come forward and said he apparently did not stop completely. As you can imagine, I was pretty upset. I had them document the incident in the service record. I did some reading and read that some parking mechanisms have a "rachet" in which case little to no damage is likely, while other transmission have a pin that can break. Does anyone know about the mechnism on my Corolla? I know these cars are pretty bullet proof and this might be an "OK if happens every blue moon". Is there anything else I should do to check for damage or address further with this dealership? I have been going there for years and was really upset and suprised to see such sloppy behavior - which makes me wonder how often this happens when you're not looking such as with valets at restauranats, hotels, etc. (which I never use for fear of this type of stuff anyway).

Im sure it happens all the time. i don't know about your car but so many people do it. That and shift from reverse to drive or vise versa without coming to a compete stop. Drives me nuts.

I wouldn't slam a vehicle into park without being stopped (that's an issue) but drive to reverse isn't an issue at a slight roll. Done it my whole driving career.

Last edited:
You are fine. The limiting factor is the tire friction which would give.

It was completely unprofessional for the driver to do that where people could see it. And a misunderstanding that people at an overpriced franchise dealership (or really anywhere paying for service) would tolerate that.

My parents are so bad about rolling gear changes, its always drove me nuts. Out of all their vehicles in my life the only tranny issues were in 2 or 3 f350 7.3 diesels, prob abused by employees

Is that a CVT? I've heard that these do require full stops, especially going from fwd to reverse or visa versus. As for a pawl, I don't think a cvt has one. I may be wrong on that.

If it's still going in and out of park smoothly with no abnormal noises then your probably in the clear. That would have made me LIVID! I don't like taking my car anywhere because this stuff almost ALWAYS happens. My car has never came back from a shop without damage, not ONCE.

If you brought it for an oil change...its time to do your own! I avoid dealer at all costs. I doubt it will have any impact.

It happens to all of us, and will happen to you eventually. You will be in a "hurry spot" and put the car in park before fully stopping.
Its the same as putting it in park on a hill, the car roll a bit slightly. Dont worry. Enjoy your car.

Originally Posted By: E150GT
....shift from reverse to drive or vise versa without coming to a compete stop. Drives me nuts.

This really isn't so bad as long as it's at low speeds.
The torque converter absorbs the force easily.

Towing a heavy trailer is far, far, far harder on the trans.

Originally Posted By: Linctex
....shift from reverse to drive or vise versa without coming to a compete stop. Drives me nuts.

Except your rear drums never adjust...

Kids (and wifey) did this in the 2002 Camry. Probably why the factor rear brakes lasted the nearly 277k miles we had the car. No one came to a full stop in reverse, meaning the rear brakes never adjusted.

Originally Posted By: Linctex

Agree. Changing direction at a few mph is no big deal. The convertor will slip.

I remeber once in my '04 CV, I got mad at directions I was being given, so I dived into a parking lot and slammed it in park so I could figure out what was going on. I heard the parking pawl ratchet across the teeth until it finally hooked and stopped the car violently.
When the intermediate stub shaft in that trans let go and I took it apart, there was no descernable wear on the pawl or the drum.
Im not saying you can do it everyday, or at a 10 or 12 mph, but a few times in its life at 2 or 3 mph is not going to be an issue.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back