Kohler 824 EFI Video-Info

Status
Not open for further replies.
They can all make good and bad engines its about price and engineering.

The 35 year old kohler in my deere 212 is great.. some other kohlers were ticking timebombs.

The only Kohler engines I ever heard had a problem were the 17hp twins And some of the courage engines.

Originally Posted By: 9050lx
The only Kohler engines I ever heard had a problem were the 17hp twins And some of the courage engines.

Yep... Courage did most of the damage. Of course those weren't high end... lol

Originally Posted By: AirgunSavant

The one with the EFI is this one. I'll use the factory picture as I'm too lazy to take one now but I can do later if folks want to see close-up's etc. These have push button start- a tach, ride suspension etc. I mow at 3070 RPM- seems to be the sweet spot and my speed is limited only by rough terrain. I plan on fixing that this year- tons of fill dirt. This is the factory Spartan SRT-HD picture. It has radial tires- very good on the hills. 10 gallon fuel tank.

20.gif
20.gif

That is one awesome mower. That looks comfortable enough to commute to work in. LOL I love the rear tires.

Yeah the Courage is directly from China. And as terrible as they are, I do have a few customers with ~500 hours on them somehow with no issues. One had a minor valve cover leak that I fixed but other than that it runs fine. The problem is the Courage single cylinders use a cork valve cover gasket. The replacement is also cork, which will last the same amount of time. I usually cut one out of gasket material, and use a light film of RTV ultra black on both sides. Seems to cure the problem every time.

Also, I thought they stopped using cork gaskets in like 1940...

I had a customer in Idaho that has a mower repair shop. He was a Hustler fan and he clued me in on the Courage engines- lol You need a bunch of courage to own one.
My neighbor mows his lawn 3x a week- retired and bored. He bought a residential Toro Time Cutter when they first came out. He special ordered a Kohler engine on it. He ran it for years with just a yearly oil change, plugs, and blade sharpening. Thousands of hours and even the local dealer who sold it to him can't believe it did that kind of service.
Last year he put a fuel pump on it. $5 from Amazon...... Still runs great,

Originally Posted By: jeepman3071

Yeah the Courage is directly from China. And as terrible as they are, I do have a few customers with ~500 hours on them somehow with no issues. One had a minor valve cover leak that I fixed but other than that it runs fine. The problem is the Courage single cylinders use a cork valve cover gasket. The replacement is also cork, which will last the same amount of time. I usually cut one out of gasket material, and use a light film of RTV ultra black on both sides. Seems to cure the problem every time.

Also, I thought they stopped using cork gaskets in like 1940...

Thank you Jeepman
The first day I mowed that property I ran into a bit of mud from a spring down near the woods.
Got it dirty..... I was sad
frown.gif
But in the end I decided to take great care of it but it needed to be a workhorse.
I clean it up every few weeks.. lol
That seat is more comfortable than any of my cars.
I had a two guys that priced that one center strip near the white house. Nothing else but that one field. One wanted $425 and the other $475. weekly......... I had to buy a trailer because this mower was too wide for mine.
I can mow that strip in 75 minutes and that is nowhere near fast as I have to go slow in several places- bad terrain.
So this mower is saving me big $$$$$$$$$

Originally Posted By: jeepman3071

The one with the EFI is this one. I'll use the factory picture as I'm too lazy to take one now but I can do later if folks want to see close-up's etc. These have push button start- a tach, ride suspension etc. I mow at 3070 RPM- seems to be the sweet spot and my speed is limited only by rough terrain. I plan on fixing that this year- tons of fill dirt. This is the factory Spartan SRT-HD picture. It has radial tires- very good on the hills. 10 gallon fuel tank.

20.gif
20.gif

That is one awesome mower. That looks comfortable enough to commute to work in. LOL I love the rear tires.

Looks like a big comfy ZTR for sure. It should for the price!

I guess I'm on borrowed time with my ~2007 Craftsman LT2000 with an 18.5 Briggs single cyl. Pretty sure I could make a Kohler Courage last 20yrs too with how I use and care for them.

One of the EFI Kohlers we have at work is absolute junk. Its an ECV860 on a Gravely Commercial Pro Turn 460, nevers fails to start but has burned oil since day one, always shoots a big puff of white smoke on start up, and bogs down on anything that even resembles tall grass.

Question about Hustlers:What year did they come out?We were using them on a golf course in the early 80's.And does anyone here remember the Hesston?

All I'm saying is their is something to be said when 90 percent of the commercial mowers have a Kawasaki on them. Of course now the briggs vanguard is entering the market here, so we will see what happens with that engine.

Originally Posted By: motor_oil_madman
All I'm saying is their is something to be said when 90 percent of the commercial mowers have a Kawasaki on them. Of course now the briggs vanguard is entering the market here, so we will see what happens with that engine.

That's because up until a few years ago they were the only engines they were putting in most zero turns as there were no other choices. That answers that. lol

Originally Posted By: mobilaltima
One of the EFI Kohlers we have at work is absolute junk. Its an ECV860 on a Gravely Commercial Pro Turn 460, nevers fails to start but has burned oil since day one, always shoots a big puff of white smoke on start up, and bogs down on anything that even resembles tall grass.

That should have been resolved under the 3 year warranty. Research Kawasaki issues on the net.
Most commercial mower shops here don't want to sell them. Does it make them all bad? No! But some bad courage engines make all Kohler's junk. No!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back