Used Miller bobcat 250 diesel worth?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm looking at one on craigslist and it has like 750hrs with a Kubota diesel. Is the diesel engine going to be super loud compared to the gas model. The bobcats usually come with a kohler command and I'm not really fond of kohlers. How much louder is the diesel compared to the gas? It does idle down to like 1800rpm and goes up to 3600 under load I believe.

What would something like this with leads go for? The guy is asking $6000 with a suitcase welder and I just want the welder with leads.

I tried joining a welding forum, but had trouble making an account, so hopefully we have a few welders on here that can give some good advice. I also want to use this as a generator for hurricanes and such.

We do have an excellent welder on here. I believe it's Tig1, you might shoot him a message.

Originally Posted By: Timo325
We do have an excellent welder on here. I believe it's Tig1, you might shoot him a message.

I just did actually in case he doesn't see this post. He may not know anything about engine driven welders if he worked in a shop though.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think I'd offer 5k. See his reaction. The bota' diesels run good. I don't find them to be loud.
Disclaimer: I bleed Blue and Orange. I LOVE Orange equipment. I own several.

Also it will be a great backup genny for when you need to run submersible pumps to keep from drowneding in Houston. It rains for 10 minutes and the city is under water. Lol
Bring cash...clean 100's.
That ol' Dodge is going to be dragging tail with that welder in the bed.lol

It's been on craigslist for a couple months at $6000, so I'm not sure what's up. He seems only worried about getting top dollar for it, I'm more of a lets go see what it looks like and how it runs, then start whipping out the cash kinda guy. I'm worried about whether or not something has been maintained when buying used. [censored] a Kubota might still live on the factory fill at 700hrs.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah I'm selling my generator since it's too small. I want something that can run the whole house.

What? It sounds like that's what he owes on it or..... It very well could still be on the factory fill or run stupid hard and put away wet. Check it over VERY CAREFULLY before giving him cash. Is it stolen...

Check for blowby. Check for quick ramp up under xload. Leaks around the injector pump. How does it start cold/hot. Genny output? Not real sure of an easy test for that.
You will pay for the motor. Should be very stout and fuel efficient. Just Like your truck. A 5.7 Hemi would have been $6500 cheaper. Simpler and WAY cheaper to fix later on down the road. You bought a Cummins for it's torque at low rpms, a bit better fuel milage...

Most things yes. It is also much easier to access things. Oil filter changes, EGR replacements, different fan set up...BUT the Cummins is the easiest to work on of the big 3 produced today. For the cost of the injectors on the newer Cummins you could buy a complete Hemi engine from a yard.
The Hemi gets worse mileage though 14mpg vs 17mpg or so running same configuration.
I would not want to pull 20k with a Hemi, even the new 6.4. The Cummins would be fine.
I forgot about the fuel sitting issue. Diesel wins there
Good point on the fuel, on the topic of welders. Storage could be an issue long term with gas. I would buy diesel every time given the choice for any power they offer it in..given the choice. It is what I'm used to and what I like.

IMO, the diesels tend to be quieter than something air cooled V-twin gas powered, but that's because of the price point, where more attention is given to the exhaust and overall enclosure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back