Pennzoil Ultra vs Platinum High Mileage?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just curious what the pros/cons would be for a 5w30 weight in Pennzoil Ultra versus Pennzoil Platinum High Mileage.

I'm a fan of the additives in the high mileage blends (because why not? lol) but Ultra seems to be the bees-knees.

Curious because I'll be changing oil in my Infiniti G20 soon and I have PPHM 5w30 on hand, but if Ultra is worth a shot, I'll try out the pick up in store option at Wal Mart.

Don't want to get suckered into marketing, it just seems Ultra would be a great oil. The Infiniti just got a JDM engine with new rear main seal, front crank seal and valve cover gasket. Not sure it'll be leaking anything *crosses fingers*

High Mileage oil really just has extra seal conditioners, meant to plasticize older seals. In your case, the Ultra is best since its made for newer seals.

Originally Posted By: oil_film_movies
High Mileage oil really just has extra seal conditioners, meant to plasticize older seals. In your case, the Ultra is best since its made for newer seals.

I've read that MaxLife and Edge HM also have added cleaning agents. Maybe Pennzoil using the PurePlus tech. automatically makes their oil a good cleaning oil though. Hmm.

Originally Posted By: Dumc87
I've read that MaxLife and Edge HM also have added cleaning agents. Maybe Pennzoil using the PurePlus tech. automatically makes their oil a good cleaning oil though. Hmm.

Pennzoil only claims extra seal conditioners for their "High Mileage" oils. Gena Fishbeck is the Pennz rep that posts here, and thats all she has ever said. Also, all the text on Pennz's website only mentions seals. PQIA VOA-tested 10 different HM oils 3 years ago, and levels of detergents in every one of them was normal-to-low. (Seal conditioner chemicals don't show up on a VOA, BTW.)

I think when marketers talk about cleaning out an engine, they are actually referring to the normal level of cleaning found in a fully formulated normal motor oil which allows them to pass SN, GF-5, etc.

Pennz Ultra does keep pistons from getting as black compared to regular Mobil1, Valvoline Synpower, and even their own cousin, Pennz Plat.

Here is a comparison PQIA did. http://www.pqiamerica.com/June 2014/consolidated highmileage2014.html
I see Valvoline Maxlife HM oil actually had a very normal amount of detergents, and less than Pennzoil Gold HM has, for commparison.
Also, the level of Anti Wear was normal (zddp).
They do make a lot of claims for Valvoline Maxlife when they compare it to their own conventionl white-bottle Valvoline anyway!
https://team.valvoline.com/diy/see-difference-valvoline-maxlife-high-mileage-or-conventional

Looks like most of the benefits you get in a High Mileage oil you already get in a decent full synthetic, except for the extra seal conditioners in HM.

It has been mentioned in here that Valvoline has components not picked up by analysis that provide cleaning ability.

I wonder what the miracle ingredient is in Ultra that keeps pistons shiny?

Originally Posted By: PimTac
It has been mentioned in here that Valvoline has components not picked up by analysis that provide cleaning ability.

Come to think of it, I may have to do some searching to find out what chemicals actually clean in oils...
I know acetone and mineral spirits clean well. Haha

All oils have cleaning agents and seal swell additives in them. 93.267% of the people on this site fall for marketing.

I find it interesting that PPHM is thinner for grade than PUP of the same grade.

Not that I know if it matters but traditionally HM oils were thicker for grade.

Originally Posted By: PimTac

Ultra, which cleans pistons better than Pennz Plat, has more boron than Pennz Plat. Boron does have anti-deposit properties. Pennzoil has stated Ultra targeted better cleaning compared to Platinum, and there is likely some synergistic chemistry which accomplishes the marginally better anti-deposit performance in Ultra.

Originally Posted By: CT8
All oils have cleaning agents and seal swell additives in them. 93.267% of the people on this site fall for marketing.

Wrong. There are differences in the products offered. HM oils contain more seal conditioners. The operative word is "more". Not hard to understand for most people.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back