2017 Dodge Journey loaner

Status
Not open for further replies.
Got a 2017 Journey Crossroad AWD as a loaner while my Cherokee is in the shop (torn CV boot, dealer ordered wrong CV axle, the torn one was 3 months old lol).
Pics:
a88VtcW.jpg

jMvMSKq.jpg

Has about 2600 miles on it. I'm pretty much going to compare it to the vehicles I have now, so it's all relative to those, a 2015 Cherokee Limited 3.2, a 96 Cherokee Country 4.0, an 07 Land Rover LR3 4.4 V8, and an 05 Liberty Limited 3.7. All are 4wd, obviously!

The good:
The handling is actually better than expected. Took it up a switch back road, about an 8% grade and it handled the turns well with minimal body roll. The steering is tight but also lacks any feeling, but that's how the newer Cherokee is too. I'm not a big fan of that, I prefer more feeling like what my old Cherokee, LR3 and Liberty have.

The ride is nice too. Firm, but not overly busy or jittery like how my newer Cherokee is. It's a comfortable ride. Doesn't quite have the isolation from bumps that the LR3 or Liberty have.

Visibility is decent overall too, not as good as any of my vehicles but I've seen way worse. One major gripe here is I couldn't see the ends of the hood, like I can in my other vehicles. No backup camera, but you don't need one with this.

Quiet to drive too. As quiet as my newer Cherokee, the Liberty and the LR3 are a bit louder because they have aggressive tires for off roading. Not much wind noise at all. No tire noise. Engine at cruise is pretty quiet. I was actually probably most impressed with the quietness.

The bad:

The power. Would've tried the 0-60, but I left my calendar at home. Quick to downshift to attempt to get you power, but there's just not much there. My old Cherokee, my LR3 and newer Cherokee are most definitely quicker. The Liberty, is not any slower (and may very well be quicker), despite having larger tires, skid plates, rock rails, winch (probably an extra 500lbs over stock). I had to pop the hood to confirm it had the 3.6 and not the 4 popper. I've driven Grand Caravans with the 3.6 and they feel faster than this for sure.

The interior. Pretty much all black. Boring. Seating position is terrible, but this one didn't have power seats.

Overall, I get it's one of the older FCA offerings, since it's been out since like what, 08 or 09? It shows. But not a bad vehicle, considering the room and what they cost. It takes 5w20 oil too, figured someone here might ask.
smile.gif

My mom has a 09 journey and it is a total POS. It also specs 5w20. she has had a slipping transmission since 50k miles and has had to have a lot of other stuff done. sitting at just over 100k right now and has like 10 trouble codes. She still drives it daily for her .1 mile commute (yes serious).

I really like a lot of dodge cars and plan on getting one of the newer jeeps with the 3.6 one day...I just hope my moms was a lemon and not the norm.

09 was a dark era for Chrysler. My 09 WK was a little messed up too.

I think before 2008 or after like 2011 you're fine. Anything that's newer gen Chrysler is good I think.

Originally Posted By: HoosierJeeper
09 was a dark era for Chrysler. My 09 WK was a little messed up too.

I think before 2008 or after like 2011 you're fine. Anything that's newer gen Chrysler is good I think.

Thank you, I appreciate the insight. There are a ton of dodge caravans that are only amfew years old at very good prices... when our minivan dies I might just have to jump on one of those deals.

I think it speaks volumes about Grand Caravans and Town & Countries that they pretty much dominate taxi fleets. Pretty tough ones, if not a bit boring.

2 CFs as rentals. A Fiat 500, its tiny-ness made it scary. Other than that not a bad little car. The 200 was a heap, compared to any Asian car.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back